« the vegetable orchestra :: more vegetable music | Main | Beats Of Boredom »

December 20, 2007

Magic Highway USA

More retro future gandering, this time a 1958 look at the highways of tomorrow ::

Man, I had that flying ambulance/accident clearer idea years ago. Someone needs to send this to the DMV. I guess we need some improvements in helicopter technology first.

Posted by: Kevin at December 20, 2007 7:19 PM

Interesting, of the technology predicted several things did come to pass such as Recreational Vehicles, Scanning Maps (GPS) and rear view cameras in place of mirrors. One other prediction was that highways would induce urban sprawl is probably the one they wish really didn't come to pass.

Posted by: Jeff S at December 20, 2007 10:03 PM

Posted by: Jeff S at December 20, 2007 10:03 PM

This is fabulous! I have my cocktail sausages, but where's my jetpack?

Posted by: Alice at December 20, 2007 10:10 PM

Looks like they got everything right except how fat the family gets because they don't walk anywhere. That and I'm not so sure how keen the Egyptians would be with a super highway built 20 meters from the pyramids.

Posted by: Awed Job at December 20, 2007 11:07 PM

That explains a lot about what happened to our country in the last fifty years.
In architecture school, I designed an eight-story apartment building (for Houston) where each tenant could park two or three cars within 10 feet of their door. I was trying to be cynical, but everyone loved it (afterall, Houston isn't exactly the ideal place to take a long walk).
I like the idea of highways warmed by radiant heat. Because the energy supply is infinite and all. Atomic energy will solve everything, and just in case it doesn't, solar-powered cars will work great and travel at speeds in excess of 85 mph. Obviously. And that giant thing that scrapes away a huge swath of nature and spits it out again as highway is great. Just great.
Seriously though, the bridge-builder would be awesome if someone could get it to work. No more construction workers buried alive in concrete, and if you want to build a bridge to a community of 50 people (or two or nobody), go right ahead...it won't cost a dime.

Posted by: Diana B. at December 20, 2007 11:43 PM

I mother were to try to drive to the office, she'd be shot down by laser cannons.

Posted by: Richard Walker at December 20, 2007 11:47 PM

My favorite part of that video was the stretch of underwater highway that cruised past the lost city of Atlantis.

It's good to know that in the future the cars will always run on time.

That was fun, and makes me wonder, are we as excited about any new frontier today? Maybe stem cell research, maybe hydrogen cell fuel economies, but the lack the sexy, do they not?

Posted by: Steven Van Haren at December 20, 2007 11:55 PM

Reminds me of Disney's old Goofy films, I love these videos.

Posted by: Anton at December 20, 2007 11:57 PM

I gotta get me one of those nifty sun-powered electro-suspension cars for a tubular highway.

Posted by: Cypress at December 21, 2007 12:07 AM

I like the "luge-highway" concept. Pity about the "preset destinations for holidays though: doesn't give much room for spontaneity. Hehe... tubular highways: wheeee!

Posted by: ingrid at December 21, 2007 3:36 AM

Someone's been watching too much of the Jetsons... I know the Jetsons came out after this movie, but you know what I mean.

Punch cards.. sweet. I want a car with a punch card reader! Unfortunately, this type of vehicle won't be sold in Florida.

Posted by: Matt at December 21, 2007 10:38 AM

Manifest destiny, ho!

Posted by: girlie_sportsracer at December 21, 2007 1:32 PM

Actually, Awed Job, there are already quite a few good-sized highways within a few hundred meters of the Giza Pyramids: http://tinyurl.com/2ugfq4 .

Posted by: Elliot at December 23, 2007 11:20 PM

When I see this, I think the people of 1958 were living in a dream. I do believe man can make almost anything he chooses because it's within the power God gave man, but, 1958's dream is just that-a dream.

Posted by: Provi at December 26, 2007 1:57 AM

And in the future, there'll be no negros or asians, women's places will be back in their homes where they belong, dad will smoke a pipe and dinner will be ready when he gets home or his dutiful wife will get his backhand.

Wow, today's world might suck, but not as bad as the scary arian hell they tried to foretell in these retched cartoons.

Posted by: ImageWrangler at December 26, 2007 9:46 AM

Ha! And we can't even afford to fix potholes in our old asphalt. The world was supposed to be a much more affluent place than it is, wasn't it?

Posted by: Sharlene at January 2, 2008 12:27 AM

Posted by: Sharlene at January 2, 2008 12:27 AM

This video is fantastic...It makes me think what people are going to say about the Matrix movies in 50 years. My favorite part is how skinny the people still are with all the automation...

Posted by: OneXeroOne at January 4, 2008 9:57 AM

I love that "as father choses the root" BLALALALALAHHAHAHAHAHAH

Its funny because the only thing that is right in this movie the the changing shape of cities, i live in sydney and have been to dubai and its like that.... and it kinda defeats the purpose of fast highways cause you have to travel so goddamn far.

Family vote. hahha

Posted by: Spammy Mc Spam at January 12, 2008 11:52 AM

When I saw the car-elevator parking garage, I was reminded of this:

Posted by: jonagf at March 2, 2008 3:59 PM