« overheard: | Main | a clean well lighted place »

January 16, 2008

RIP ORG

As many of you have noticed, zefrank.org was shut down on the anniversary of its birth a few weeks ago. The ORG, for those of you unfamiliar, was a social media playground created and maintained by supportandcomfort, who was an indispensable part of the show during its one year run. I was as surprised as many of you that it came to an abrupt halt, but am thankful that he put so much energy into supporting what I believe was a platform ahead of its time.

Using dozens of APIs (interfaces that allow one site to speak to and exchange information with other sites), the ORG allowed its members to collect, curate and display different media types from a multitude of sources around the web. For me, the core of the ORG was its “project” functionality, which allowed members to collaboratively create collections of media towards a common goal. The interface that drove the ORG as a whole was beautifully crafted and constantly yielded surprises: the ORGs reinterpretation of google maps remains the best I have used online. The astounding statistic of 17.3 pages per visit is a testament to the inventive and playful environment that supportandcomfort created.

Since media was not stored locally within the ORG, its closure didn’t mean the deletion of thousands of files; they remain on the sites that they were originally uploaded to. The closure does however mean that the community and personal connections that existed within the ORG have disappeared, and for that I am truly sorry. For those of you that would like to reconnect with the people that you interacted with over the last year, Awed Job (and others :: thanks for the correction) has started up a site at postorg.org to facilitate exactly that.

I can’t speak for supportandcomfort and therefore can’t tell you the exact reason that the ORG ended. I will however say that any community based project is costly to run, not only in terms of money and time, but also in terms of spirit. I’m thankful for the time we had.

Sorry to hear about The ORG. It was fun quacking while it lasted.

Posted by: Sam at January 16, 2008 1:08 PM

well said Ze.

Posted by: J.W. at January 16, 2008 1:32 PM

I was one user who popped in for a while at the beginning and tried to participate right away. I loved the site and potential but, ultimately, just didn't give it enough time to become really involved. Still, just a couple of days ago I went back to it looking to rejoin in some of the festivities to discover that it had disappeared.

...I'm grateful for the time it was up and for my own short time involved with it. I still think that the community that grew up around The Show and continued at the ORG was one of the best group of fun, creative, caring people gathered together.

Posted by: Jackaroo at January 16, 2008 1:51 PM

It was fun while it lasted - too bad we didn't get a heads-up!

Posted by: Mel at January 16, 2008 2:22 PM

Congratulations to supportandcomfort for successfully completing his 1-year internship!

Posted by: fightignorance at January 16, 2008 2:53 PM

Thanks for this acknowledgement, Ze. This expresses everything one could want, and addresses everything as well as it could be.

Posted by: Marianne at January 16, 2008 3:37 PM

This commentary is a wonderful testament to supportandcomfort as well as to you, Ze.

With all that creativity incubated, I trust community and projects will find a way to live on.

Blessings to all as things unfold.

Posted by: Bridget Qualey at January 16, 2008 3:39 PM

I enjoyed the ORG and was very happy to be able to participate.

Thanks to both of you for your time and hard work.

Posted by: Jeremy at January 16, 2008 4:40 PM

I always lived in the periphery of the community surrounding The Show on the forums and in the ORG. Even though I didn't get as much out of it as so many others, it's sad to see it go, and I will miss the warming glow I felt even as a passive member.

Thanks for existing, Ze. And thanks for making the ORG exist, supportandcomfort. We had some good times.

Posted by: La Chevre! at January 16, 2008 5:04 PM

NO! NOOOOOO!!!!! What a world ... what a a world.....

Posted by: Greg Woolf at January 16, 2008 5:39 PM

As primarily a lurker on The ORG, I was astounded by the beauty of the various art that was posted. It was an amazing collection of photos, videos and text by both professionals and amateurs. In addition, so many social internet sites devolve into petty immaturities. Over time, they seem to gravitate towards the lowest common denominator. However, The ORG did not seem to do this. Perhaps given enough time, it would have. Regardless, my experience with The ORG was a good one and I will miss it. Thanks to all who worked on it and contributed to it.

Posted by: dr o at January 16, 2008 6:22 PM

All of you. A delight. Thank you.

Posted by: ingrid at January 16, 2008 7:31 PM

my thoughts echo jackaroo and dr o. Thanks for more great times all involved! Keep connected sportsracers!

Posted by: blurskates at January 16, 2008 7:53 PM

Actually, the rebirth of the Postorg was also very much a community effort. Along with Awed_Job, community members such as Transiit, Viscousplatypus, Mik, ChuckM and other members finding their way thought the darkness of the shut down is the reason the Postorg exists today. Instead of it being the work of one person, it was the effort, support and desire of many to make sure that the best parts of the Zefrank.org didn't die.

I want to thank Supportandcomfort for putting it out there in the first place and giving me the chance to meet these people, Ze for inspiring many of us to get there in the first place, but all the Sports Racers out there who were passionate enough not to let this die.

Posted by: Sunnybunny at January 16, 2008 8:32 PM

Hear hear!

Though I only had a couple interactions with supportandcomfort he was one hell of a nice bloke and hard worker. What a wonderful site to behold he made, for free, for us Sportsracers.

Thank you Ze for being the conduit but the biggest thanks has to go to s&c for his time, dedication, and wherewithal.

Cheers supportandcomfort, may your future be bright as your ideas and might!

Posted by: imagewrangler at January 16, 2008 9:15 PM

Three cheers for supportandcomfort! Thanks for all of the (largely unrecognized, I'll bet) assistance with this community over the last few years.

Posted by: min.entropy at January 16, 2008 11:30 PM

Yea, I was upset the ORG went away. But The only thing I lost when it closed down was a few connections to people ... but hey ... the postorg.org is helping with that.

Thanks to you and SNC for what you gave us.

Really. It meant a lot. More than I can really express without drinking a lot and getting all sappy, "I love you guys!"

We need more people like you who remind us of the awesome in this world and in us. And I think, the ORG may have just helped bring a few more of those people out into the open.

Posted by: DangerAmy at January 16, 2008 11:33 PM

The so many things on this site, the ORG in conception, execution and support was a beautiful piece of work.

Posted by: nader at January 17, 2008 4:14 AM

Very poignant and wonderful Ze. Thank you.

Oh, one small correction; although AJ was involved in the creation of PostORG, it's pretty much transiit's brainchild.

Posted by: trick at January 17, 2008 5:19 AM

I'll miss it, but I'm sure there's a method to the... well... madness.

Posted by: Miss Jecka at January 17, 2008 11:18 AM

Yes, I will especially miss the maps. Goodbye, org.

Posted by: Gus at January 17, 2008 1:05 PM

rest in peace. salute supportandcomfort.

-jay was here!

Posted by: jay aoyama at January 17, 2008 1:34 PM

Well put. Best to you and yours and to S&C too. I hope all is well or that it will be soon.

Posted by: Boo at January 17, 2008 2:43 PM

When supportandcomfort has had a nice, well deserved rest, maybe supportandcomfort will be sunning in the cool shiny springtime, having a nice late', and someone named gatherandpublish will come along and sit with supportandcomfort.

Perhaps gatherandpublish will create a nice homage to the ORG, a museum of sorts, so the place of the ORG in history will be established for memory - and posterity. Don't forget posterity, it is before as well as behind us. This memory in virtuality shan't clutter any desktops, but will exist to be found when needed, just as when it found us the first time.

Thank you supportandcomfort!

Jeano

Posted by: Jeano at January 17, 2008 3:09 PM

Well said, and thanks for saying it. It was fun and it has brought new friendships into my life. Its been a great motivator for doing silly and inventive things.

Cheers!

Posted by: Ol' Grimy at January 17, 2008 4:41 PM

Thank you Ze. As an artist you have taught us all by showing us. Assisting others to find the courage to create is a truth others have sought, found and taken up as their own cause.

Thank you supportandcomfort for the gift of the ORG. Your knowledge, time, money and love created a wondrous place for us all to be more awesome.

Thank you transiit for the vision, elbow grease, technical ability and patronage that has begun the postORG. It's much more than anything I could have hammered together.

Thanks to viscousplatypus, blankedyblank, Mik, MissJecka, DangerAmy, Booalready, jsarbino, triiku, Old Grimy, thorn, and others for jumping in and getting things off the ground.

Thanks to all the duckies that landed on the soft pillow. Spread the word. Dream big. Let's navigate the Bridge together to the new space.

Posted by: Awed Job at January 17, 2008 8:00 PM

I always thought supportandcomfort was Ze. In fact, I still believe it.

Posted by: nick at January 17, 2008 9:57 PM

Welcome to the League of Awesomeness Ze.

Posted by: A at January 18, 2008 2:02 PM

Thanks S&C for the ORG; it was really great while it lasted.

Thanks, Ze for the inspiration to do and make, and the ORG eulogy we wanted.

It's been fun to see what we can do collectively to use the connections, energy and momentum to do The Next Thing! I especially want to acknowledge Awed Job, transiit, Viscous Platypus, chuckm, thorn, BooAlready, DangerAmy, feffef, triiku and Mik as excellent co-collaborators-- though we are growing and already there are many more.

See you at postorg.org, QuackerCon, and beyond.

Posted by: blankedyblank at January 19, 2008 12:17 PM

Loved theshow and loved theORG. I wasn't able to interact as much as I'd have liked to, busy with the day-job, my own side projects etc., but I could check out what people were doing via theORG. It was a grand experiment and what a success!

I was able to connect with artists from areas-afar and to support them with small donations. If I made more money, I'd have travelled to meet some of these fabulous people in person -- or purchased their pieces. : )

Thanks to all the artists who contributed and especially to those who worked on collaborations. How lovely!

Posted by: tea_please at January 20, 2008 12:23 PM

LAST!!!!

just kidding... I'll miss cinnamon shooters the most.

Posted by: Rubix at January 25, 2008 4:57 PM

Dude! - ZE! - What's your trip man!?!?

What's with the 1 year attention span?

First you get us hooked on "The Show" then one year later blammo! - You cut us off... cold turkey!

Well, ok so you did try to bring us down easy with "The Org". It's no "Show" but it helps with the shakes and it does kind of give you that warm feeling inside. It turns out it was a pretty cool place to hang out and share our creativity.

Then just when I stopped crying myself to sleep every night and had put away my "SHOW" mourning clothes - Blammo down goes the ORG. You are a cruel, cruel man Ze.

Seriously - it was great while it lasted - no place like it on the net. Many thanks!

mofo juto