« paper mind | Main | I could say day, and youd say night »

February 19, 2008

for all you parents :

Scientific American: The Secret to Raising Smart Kids

Wow... this explains why I had that idea for so long that if I could do something it wasn't that special a talent. I had been coming from the "fixed mind set" - learned helplessness! Creativity puts me into the "growth mind set" and I'm off to the races! Doesn't matter how long something takes to make, it's energizing! And I always wake up happier in the morning when I've made some kind of art the night before. Thanks, Ze!

Posted by: Jeano at February 19, 2008 8:33 PM

Brilliant (I mean, good effort). Thanks for the link, I'm showing to my boys tonight.

Posted by: Cameron at February 19, 2008 9:49 PM

Dear,

I'm a korean living in seoul.(name: Oh Minseok)
Korean special investigative team are investigating samsung
corporation.
But they does not work right.
I am suspicious to be bought off.
samsung corporation has many crimes.
And the team investigates samsung corporation.
It contains korean companies samsung,huyndai,sk CEOs' illegal issuing
stocks or bonds.
The quantity are plenty.
(Three company CEOs did(and are doing) many crimes to me.
Many koreans are knowing it.
But many koreans are bought off by illegal issuing stocks or bonds.)
The team are knowing it.
Korean special investigative team must investigate this.
But they are trying to conceal it.
I ask for asking for this criminal investigation to prosecutors in any
country.
And help the shareholders.

P.S)
Three companies are hacking me and trying to kill me.
And are suspicious to use my name and email illegally.
If you receive another message that I dictated above are not true,
it is not from me, but from three companies.
The things I dictated above are true.

:: NOTE - normally i delete these types of comments as SPAM, but i kept this one because its priceless :: ze

Posted by: Oh Minseok at February 20, 2008 12:32 AM

Both the article and the SPAM were thought provoking!

Posted by: Nicole at February 20, 2008 10:14 AM

thanks for the article, and the spam, and i hope to find validation of the studies of the former. i recently engaged in an unfortunately caustic arguement with a proffesor concerning an article titled, "Intelligence: Knowns and Unknowns" that attempted to discount an ethnocentric view of intelligence proposed by a book called "The Bell Curve". My claim; that the article failed to derail the ethnocentric arguement by merely attacking the reliability of the psychometric approach, rather than attacking the concept of intelligence itself. She was quite upset, and I didn't realize at the time that many of her arguements are based on this arguement. I believe intelligence doesn't exist. It is of the last victorian era pscyhological terms we hold onto as given truth. We may do well at specific tasks, but bringing them together into a term of intelligence actually represents the skills needed to perform within a given cultural context, i.e. foucault. Given the socioeconomic despairity throughout racial strata domestically and internationally, differences in IQ are merely differences in environment and preperation. When it comes to defining ability through these measures, the arguement is tautological, despite attempts at adjusting the reliability of the measure. This article moves in this direction, outside the contemporary context of intelligence, and I hope the studies supporting it prove valid. Pop Psych is good for thinking outside the institution. Thanks for this, and I'll drop a line concerning the development of my study as a follow-up.

Posted by: Chris Stevens at February 20, 2008 11:42 AM

Thanks for that ze-- I'm still trying to bust many of the cycles that I use to keep myself down, and this was insightful regarding the work I need to do for myself, especially as it relates to how I am and what I'm passing on to my children. Stay LOACL. (LOA Cum Laude) heh heh I typed 'cum' in your cumments. yeek!

Posted by: Justin at February 20, 2008 2:15 PM

Oh man, that article hit way too close to home. I mean, I always kind of knew that that was what happened to me in school, I've even described my school experience the way the way they told "Johnathon's" story, but seeing it all spelled out like that... And considering the fact that I'm still dealing my own fuck ups as a result of this learned (i.e. easily avoidable) mindset, Oh man, I think I just got a little sick just thinking about it.

Posted by: Chris L at February 20, 2008 2:22 PM

i now feel justified in explaining away all of my areas of ineptitude. suddenly i feel so capable. oh but wait. i now lack the determination to put in the effort. that's wrong isn't it. its my parents' fault.

Posted by: ingrid at February 20, 2008 4:52 PM

I also felt like this article revealed an aspect of my development I've always wondered about- I'm a textbook case of the fixed mind set, and now I can work towards letting myself see intelligence in a more constructive way that drives me less crazy.

Thanks Ze! Informative as always.

Posted by: Sparrow at February 20, 2008 6:19 PM

This article blew my mind. As a mom to two small kids, I'm so grateful to have this perspective. I want my kids to feel smart ... it's terrific to have some tools to teach them how to BE smart. Thanks.

Posted by: kristina at February 21, 2008 2:41 PM

Wow, this makes so much sense. When I was little, and told I was "gifted" and special, I did well up until around middle school, at which point I coasted into Bs and generally under-achieved until my senior year of high school, feeling completely unmotivated. When the work started being challenging again, I worked hard again, but in general I have always felt that anything that isn't difficult isn't worth doing, and anything that is difficult is futile to attempt.

Posted by: Lhyzz at February 21, 2008 6:26 PM