« I could say day, and youd say night | Main | Wild Animals »

February 20, 2008

more for parents

along the same lines - this time a video from the TED talk series:

I've been impressed by both of these "For Parents" posts. A lot of what the article and this video discuss remind me of the work of the psychologist Howard Gardner, who proposed that the traits we traditionally associate with intelligence only signify a single intelligence out of seven. Gardner proposed, much like this man did, that our schools only teach and IQ exams only test logical-mathematical intelligence, while the others go unrecognized or discouraged.

Posted by: Trip at February 20, 2008 7:56 PM

This video is no longer available. :-(

Posted by: Joshua Leonard at February 20, 2008 10:42 PM

Thanks to Samharrelson on twitter for tweeting a link to this post. Time to dance.

Posted by: DannyK at February 21, 2008 12:23 AM

I found this when it came out, and watch it every couple of months as inspiration.

See, I'm an art educator. I love my job and work with fantastic people and kids. This way of thinking is so very close to how I view the world, and how I teach. I watched it again last night after a hard day of work. It always chokes me up, and makes me feel better...like I'm not the only one who has these values, even though it's a struggle to get this across.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder that I'm not alone in this quiet, revolutionary think.

Posted by: koko at February 21, 2008 12:33 AM

Wait, weren't you there for this, Ze? I could swear you spoke the same year.

Posted by: Dave Conrey at February 21, 2008 2:32 AM

It's a classic! Grab it as MP4 from TED pages directly:

Posted by: Chris at February 21, 2008 4:51 AM

Thanks for posting this Ze. It was a delight to watch. As a teacher I frequently comment that if you let the kids choose the way the school day is structured, that none of them would make it the way it is today. They would spend a lot more time "doing" things like art, music, drama, dance etc. and a lot less time sitting in rows. Hands on = brains on.

Posted by: John Post at February 21, 2008 10:13 AM

This speech has been in my favourites for ages! I love this man!

Posted by: Gen at February 21, 2008 2:43 PM

Inspiring.

Posted by: Jason Davies at February 21, 2008 8:23 PM

How wonderful the presenter and message. NO this isn't just for parents, it's for everyone!

Posted by: Tom Eastburn at February 22, 2008 12:09 AM

That was shockingly amazing.

Posted by: Richele at February 22, 2008 2:51 AM

some more new parenting techniques and ways of learning here:

Posted by: ingrid at February 22, 2008 3:17 AM

Wow Ze. Thanks for this one. I get the TED talks podcast and this is one of the few I didn't delete to save HD space but its great to see it here too.

I went to a school in the UK where music and art where not options beyond age 14. School was a miserable experience for me as music was all I cared about. I left aged 17 with very poor exam results so I couldn't get into a university. I ended up getting jobs in various music shops for years. Which is pretty much what my teachers had told me was all I could do.

Then in the 80's computers got interesting and I got my first Atari 520 then Apple SE30 computer to sequence music.

After a bit the Apple's ability with fonts and graphics led me down a more visual path and I managed to get a very junior position at a magazine production company.

To cut the bio short I'm now a designer at a Canadian university and was working on a lecture on design for undergrad students when I got sidetracked by your blog (again).

Ah if my old teachers could see me lecturing at a university, and making a good living doing something creative...

I was lucky music taught me computers which taught me design but I wonder how many others never stumbled on a way out of being told they were stupid because they had the wrong kind of intelligence.

Posted by: Jamie at February 22, 2008 3:34 PM

Learning styles, baby. Save the creative people!

I worked with a company called Performance Learning Systems that teaches teachers how to teach in a way that benefits people of differing learning styles. These stories are everywhere, but this guy is really great at presenting this.

There's a guy names Steve Barkley from PLS who does this presentation quite well.

This is what "Leave no child..." should really be about. Not stupid teaching to tests.

Posted by: Richoid at February 23, 2008 12:06 AM

Beautiful. I'd gladly go back and do school all over again if I could have teachers who thought like him...

Posted by: Paperotta at February 23, 2008 9:33 PM

I like it. Good speaker too.

Posted by: Thriftcriminal at February 24, 2008 5:00 AM

Excellent talk, truly excellent. Thanks for bringing it to my attention

Posted by: Thriftcriminal at February 25, 2008 11:42 AM

Yes. And is Earth our best teacher for modelling a whole being? I know from experience that layers of marine sediments, melted in kilns, create patterns like our veins and brains and river deltas formed by swelling and receding of m0isture flow. Abstract because these are words but -- ignite them with fire -- literally -- and they come to life. Observe and participate with metamorphosing layers of time this way from childhood, and experiential learning will branch into dance or physics or geology or chemistry, or resource management or functional beauty holding bowls of soup -- but start with the basic truth of wholeness. WHY NOT?

Posted by: Joan Lederman at March 3, 2008 8:54 AM

This was the first video I chose to show in my TED-Talks class a few months ago, truly eye-opening presentation.

Posted by: Tyson at March 3, 2008 9:57 PM

brilliant

Posted by: TIm MacDonald at March 6, 2008 7:41 AM

Wonderful way of looking at life, and so true. It's a shame more people don't get it the way he does.

Posted by: Judy Huszarik at March 10, 2008 7:06 PM

Posted by: Judy Huszarik at March 10, 2008 7:06 PM

Listening to this should be a prerequisite to all Educators beginning their year and all students of Education! What he espouses is what we were taught in the '70's in University and then promptly had to "adjust" as we entered the "real" world! Our children need to be allowed to actually think and they need to find the mode of learning that works best for them - what happened to the needs of the individual??

Posted by: Dawn Withrow at March 28, 2008 11:12 AM

Not only a valuable message, but a study in how to get it across in under 20 minutes with enormous impact.

Posted by: Rich Ofstun at October 28, 2008 9:59 AM