« chocolate love | Main | polar bear »

February 11, 2008

the worst?

The Room :: i was told about this movie recently, but have not had a chance to see it. supposedly it is legendary in its awfulness, to the point that there is a weekly rocky horror style cult screening in LA. have any of you seen it?

Official Movie Site and a review that piqued my curiosity

"Wiseau promotes the film as a black comedy and insists that the “unintentional” humor is intentional, although audience members generally doubt this"

I just had this flash forward to January, 2009!

Bush/Cheney announce that all the irony was intentional just as they walk off stage!

That explains everything!

Posted by: TomD at February 11, 2008 3:04 PM

The worst movie is probably "The Attack of the Killer Tomatoes". Unlike movies that were unintentially bad films like "The Room" and "Plan 9 from Outer Space", "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" is just plain bad and is almost impossible to watch.

Actually, the worst Ed Ward film isn't Plan 9. It's "Glen or Glenda". That took me almost three days to get through it. I would watch it for about 20 minutes, and I just had to turn off the DVD. Then, I would come back a half hour later and continue watching.

"Glen or Glenda" is like seeing a awful car wreck on the highway with blood and body parts all over. You turn your head away in disgust, but then, you find yourself just having to take another peak.

I've heard horrid things about "Battlefield Earth" too, but I don't know if its so bad, it's good, or if it is just so bad, it's unwatchable. As the NYTimes stated back in 2000: "It may be a bit early to make such judgments, but 'Battlefield Earth' may well turn out to be the worst movie of this century."

Posted by: David at February 11, 2008 4:25 PM

I've seen a copy of it and it's amazingly awful. Dreadfully awful. {Better Adverb} awful!

The best part of it though is the trailer. Initially, the movie was released in L.A. as a straightforward drama. The director was entirely convinced he had created an intricately crafted movie about love and betrayal. However, after the filmmaker attended a screening and realized that people were laughing uncontrollably at the movie, he had the brilliant idea to rework his trailers.

Just head over to the official website, http://www.theroommovie.com/# , and watch the extended trailer. The best part is the original dramatic idea of the movie coupled with the inserted text at the end. Jesus...it's brilliant!

Heh...it has "the passion of Tennessee Williams" after all. Man...there is a story behind that quote as well!

Legendary movie.

Posted by: Von at February 11, 2008 5:06 PM

I liked it.
I mean, there are original concepts but there are also pretty weared out stuff, such as the dead little girl.

Posted by: Nacho at February 11, 2008 5:35 PM

One of my best friends was second assistant camera on this. I'm pretty sure he has some good stories from the shoot.

Posted by: Grant Hutchins at February 11, 2008 6:05 PM

Can’t say I’ve had the pleasure of seeing this. The film poster made me think of David Copperfield... probably not a good sign...

Posted by: Gen at February 11, 2008 6:36 PM

Another reviewer describes it as, ". . . a campy version of a Tennessee Williams film with a little John Waters thrown in." With a description like that, it's a must see! I'm sure it would be much more entertaining in a theater, though.

Posted by: Nicole at February 11, 2008 9:41 PM

Oh man! You guys need to see panamenian cinema...

Posted by: Margot at February 12, 2008 1:09 AM

When will this film be available on bit-torrent?
(for us non-americans.)