« predictably irrational | Main | so good »

March 3, 2008

brains and scrambled eggs

Neurology and Jazz: Using MRI Scans To Study Spontaneity and Creativity | Business Intelegant

so that somewhat happily-lost-other-place has a reason and a result. cool

Posted by: ingrid at March 3, 2008 2:52 PM

Shades of Levitin: http://brainonmusic.com/

Good to know that your interest in creativity is intact.

Posted by: Alexandre at March 3, 2008 3:37 PM

strange; i work in fmri and so far today all i've seen is a mouse's heart in a jar. there has been no jazz. none.

Posted by: nmrboy at March 3, 2008 9:53 PM

It would be interesting if the scientists could compare the level of inhibition in the laboratory situation with the level of inhibition in a live stage-performance situation. A performer has enough to worry about when playing straight from the page, but with improvisation, the odds of ruining the number go way up.
Maybe I just want to go to a jazz combo show in which each of the performers is encased in a narrow, white tube while being bombarded by magnetic fields. They could be the next Blue Man Group.

Posted by: Diana B. at March 4, 2008 12:02 AM

I was in jazz band in high school for several years, and can really relate to the inhibition the article mentions. My best solos happened when I wasn't thinking about the people around me, myself, or the crowd, and I didn't have any memory of anything going on around me immediately afterwards, and still don't.. Sometimes, I even forgot what I did in the solo, but had a really good feeling about it. I had to ask friends in the band what I played in the solo! Intersante

Posted by: Brian at March 4, 2008 1:41 AM

i think that children "get this"... that they don't live life so painfully consciously and abandon to the moment more easily.

it gives way to great art:

Posted by: ingrid at March 4, 2008 5:52 AM

It leads me to think of the connection that must exist between creativity and self confidence. The results that these musicians effectively turn off the part of their brain responsible for self control, tells me a lot about that process. I often wish that I was more creative, that I could do and say things and people would nod in agreement, and be in awe. Turns out that the fact that I don't think that I can, maybe the exact reason that I don't.

Posted by: mcwhclan at March 4, 2008 9:09 AM

the only way to eat eggs is scrambled, with ketchup.

Posted by: tm at March 5, 2008 6:05 AM