« President Bush at the Gridiron Club's Annual Spring Dinner | Main | idreamofhillaryidreamofbarack. »

March 14, 2008

Food Fight

an amazing stop motion movie on "an abridged history of American Centric warfare" :: worth watching the whole thing in my opinion :: click below ::

lol... that is fantastic. (wondering what is in my fridge... sudden urge to throw food.)

especially liked the burgers opening and unleashing their contents... that and the power falafels.

it also made me strangely hungry.

Posted by: ingrid at March 14, 2008 11:54 AM

Technically it's incredibly well-done. I had lots of fun watching it. Story-wise, I found it kind of confusing - which foods are fighting which foods, exactly? Why are some foods just standing there while others are attacking? - so it could have been more cohesive. Not to be a sourpuss, though. Was still nicely put together.

Posted by: Kevin Miller at March 14, 2008 11:57 AM

Thanks a lot Ze. Now I'm depressed and hungry

Posted by: Jamie at March 14, 2008 12:49 PM

This is worth watching many times. I can't imagine how much time went into it, and I applaud the amount of effort and dedication this must have taken.

Posted by: Jeremy at March 14, 2008 1:24 PM

I'm with Jamie .... Depressed and Hungry

Thanks Ze.

Posted by: Greg at March 14, 2008 2:41 PM

Kevin,

The foods represent their countries. The Americans are the various hamburgers and nuggets, british are the bland wheats and such, french croissants, Japanese sushi, Korean Kimchi, Vietnamese spring rolls, and so on.

It's a really clever movie.

Plus it makes me feel good about by pedestrian knowledge of history and international cuisine.

Posted by: ElGouldo at March 14, 2008 3:59 PM

Brilliant.

For those confused, my interpretations the nationalities/groups associated with each food stuff are:
Burgers & fries: Americans.
Sushi: Japanese
Sausage & pretzels: Germans
Matso bread: Jewish people (in Europe)
Matso & bagel sandwiches: Israel
Green noodles and mystery brown stuff: USSR
Fried spring rolls: China
Korean food I don't know the name of: Korea
Fresh spring rolls: Vietnam
Meat on skewers, in pitas: Arab/Muslim nations, different coloured veggies for different nations.

Posted by: Jamie at March 14, 2008 4:53 PM

I think the confusion is absolutely intentional. Who are we really fighting when we go to war? We're all just people right?

After the two towers went down, I could better see direct correlations to the US's recent military presence in the mid east - even getting a bit stereo typical with representing the US as hamburgers and Middle Easterners as kabob skewers. I'll have to rewatch it to look for more correlations like that.

Posted by: Karma Adjuster at March 14, 2008 5:57 PM

clearly am daft and not paying attention having missed the real meaning of the piece. apologies for my blithe comment earlier.

Posted by: ingrid at March 14, 2008 6:32 PM

the french fries obviously represent france. cause they dont do anything.
hehehe

Posted by: Dan at March 14, 2008 7:16 PM

nice job, again Ze with finding really great stuff to watch...the big burger...gets BIGGER..love it.

Posted by: CC at March 15, 2008 1:57 AM

those chicken nugget bombs are some powerful sons of a bitch!

but nothing is quite as powerful as those sausage bombs!

Posted by: Chris Lawson at March 15, 2008 10:08 AM

It is brilliant. Confusing on first viewing until you get the country and alliance associations to the foods. A subtitled year would help people get it the first time through. Like 1940 for the sausage bombing the fish and chips, 1945 for the burger patty bombing Hiroshima.

Excellent job.

Posted by: George at March 15, 2008 11:36 AM

The mystery brown stuff is Beef Stroganoff, for the Russians. The Koreans are represented by little heaps of Kim Chee. Also note the pot stickers representing China, and the fish-n-chips representing the British.

Note that the terrorist falafel is seen escaping in the final scenes...

Posted by: Kimmers at March 15, 2008 2:03 PM

Absolutely amazing, not just the technical side of it - which in and of itself is mind blowing - but conceptually it's very clever. Thanks Jamie for the food/country breakdown. I think any confusion is based on forgetting social studies - but this kind of gets me interested in digging up some wars on wikipedia and trying to match em. The oil on the ground around some of the skewers..Kuwait, right?

BTW, anybody else find it really disturbing (graphically)?

Posted by: Chuck at March 15, 2008 6:48 PM

A cheat sheet for those who are confused: http://www.touristpictures.com/foodfight/cheat.htm

Posted by: worrydream at March 15, 2008 8:15 PM

Not stop-motion.

Cut-out. Probably After Effects.

Nice though.

No time to write in full sentences or use pronouns.

Posted by: ratchet at March 15, 2008 11:53 PM

Starts out with WW2. The germans(pretzels sausage) kill the jews (the flat cracker bread called matzo), roll through france(the crossiants), they also bomb the british(the fish and chips). the japanese(sushi) bomb the US(hamburgers) and it goes from there. The entire rest of the movie depicts the other conflicts... if you know your major history events then the rest should be fairly simple to understand.

Posted by: Scott at March 16, 2008 11:33 PM

I was really pulling for the sushi. It seemed so . . . together.
I love how the chicken nuggets left grease stains.

Posted by: Nicole at March 17, 2008 6:37 AM