« David Horvitz | Main | Muxtape »

March 29, 2008

in the name of safety

Nipple ring search procedures faulty, TSA admits :: ya think?

I love you.

Posted by: Anna at March 29, 2008 8:35 PM

"Last time that I checked, a nipple was not a dangerous weapon."

I beg to differ.

Posted by: Brian at March 30, 2008 12:22 AM

Yeah, it's been a fun/sad story to us Dallasites. We've been sounding off a little at sites like this: http://frontburner.dmagazine.com/2008/03/28/leading-off-nipple-rings/. I mentioned my own piercing experiences and wonder just how security got so sensitive these days.

Posted by: Spamboy at March 30, 2008 6:40 AM

ouch. that's not cool.

-jay was here!

Posted by: jay aoyama at March 30, 2008 4:23 PM

TSA: "We understand that some passengers may be uncomfortable removing their nipple rings, therefore we will forego this procedure as long as the passenger is willing to 'flash her boobies' or let one of our officers cop a feel." ::snickers:: "We will also, for the convenience of our passengers, extend this policy to all genital piercings."

Posted by: typo180 at March 31, 2008 12:29 AM

You should see what they do to you if you're carrying shrapnel. Maybe they've developed procedures for that by now (I sincerely hope), but when I first came back ... brother, it was a mess. I haven't even attempted air travel since.

Posted by: hisherness at March 31, 2008 2:45 AM

I laughed a little at that one, I'm gonna be honest. TSA people are really cheezeballs. I've met one or two really cool ones when I'm taking my bassoon through an airport, but one time they made me play it, which was fine, but slightly awkward in the examination room. I'm sure it wasn't a very good performance, though. :(

Posted by: Bajonista at March 31, 2008 7:11 PM

This is what happens when you give bottom tier government employees near dictatorial powers. TSA screeners not only have absolute authority on whether you get on a plane, you can also be arrested for attempting to bring ANY prohibited item trough security, at the sole discretion of TSA screeners. That means if you accidentally leave a waterbottle or a swiss army knife in your carry on, the frustrated underpaid TSA employee who finds it can arbitrarily decide whether you will be arrested. TSA rules also say things like milk, baby formula, and juice for infants may be brought aboard in "reasonably quantities". Apparently these same TSA screeners get to decide what's reasonable as I recently found out when my wife was told she had too many sealed, unopened juice boxes.

Posted by: Gus at April 1, 2008 4:41 PM