« stewart on the "bitter" remark | Main | youngme/nowme »

April 16, 2008

elitism?

An 'average' American will never be president :: Roland Martin writes an article that is suspiciously similar to John Stewart's rant...

CNN making sense?! This just blew my mind.

Posted by: consumatron at April 16, 2008 10:14 AM

alright, i may be an idiot, but i'm having some semantic issues here. the terms elite and elitist must not mean what i think they mean. the impression i'm getting is that "elitist" (as a preference for who should be in charge) carries a tinge of "divine right". i was unaware of that connotation. i was even unaware of that the term elite applied exclusively to things like income and educational background. here i thought that most arenas had an "elite", that even though Sugar Ray Robinson didn't attend an Ivy and wasn't an appropriate choice for the Senate, he could still be elite in his arena.

huh. my english just isn't that good, i guess.

Posted by: hisherness at April 16, 2008 1:42 PM

when was it that the average american was ever president?

Posted by: sahu at April 16, 2008 6:21 PM

I dunno - I watched the Stewart video you posted and while they both make similar points, they do it in different ways - kind of like a conversation between two like-minded people with different ways of expressing something they both believe in. Rob & I do that allll the time :D (He does it in a much more levelheaded way - I guess I'm the one who would say "fuck" on TV...)

Posted by: mjs at April 17, 2008 7:29 PM

I've had it with Hillary. I'm putting all my support with Lady Bird Johnston. Wait, didn't she just die. Make that Roslyn Carter.

Posted by: Murray Trillionaire at April 18, 2008 9:10 AM

I just wish those plebs in the media had the cognitive capacity to differentiate elite and elitist.

I have a race, I'm not a racist. Obama's elite. He seems to be the least elitist of all of those running.

~BS

Posted by: Brendan Sweeney at April 21, 2008 6:34 PM

Sure, but Jon Stewart finished with the more important point: we should WANT the president to be a member of the elite. Not an elitist -- that connotes someone passing judgment over the less fortunate (to me, anyway). But certainly someone as far above average as possible, right? And I'm talking about qualifications for the job (intelligence, integrity, diplomacy, resolve, farsightedness) not status and connections.

Roland Martin, on the other hand, is just saying "don't be fooled by those 'regular guy' acts". Which is fine, except he sounds like he's throwing all wealthy, connected Ivy Leaguers into the same bin. It's not that we should shun Yalies for being Yalies, but we want the person who got in on merit, not as a legacy.

(Jeez, I'm a blowhard this morning. Someone please administer a sound mocking. And a coffee: large, one sugar, light cream, poured over my head.)

Posted by: richroc at April 24, 2008 9:22 AM