« a paper. | Main | street view directions »

April 29, 2008

Man vs. Gator!

CNN Shirt :: CNN tries to monetize the fact that they provide moronic and irrelevant news! :: I actually think this would be quite clever if an independent party had done it...but CNN? come on.

That's kind of like what The Onion does. Except The Onion is genuine satire, and CNN is just self-parody.

Posted by: Ned at April 29, 2008 11:58 AM

Yeah, that was my thought too. I love CNN.com's wacky headlines (favorite: "Tornado survivor grabbed pants, whiskey"), but the t-shirts just made me think, "when did they start trying to turn themselves into the Onion?"

Posted by: MsMolly at April 29, 2008 3:56 PM

Very interesting. 'Not sure I'd get one, but it's a good marketing idea.

Apparently, they're encouraging buyers to take photos of themselves in the shirts and upload it (see the FAQs). I'm sure no one will be surprised at the backlash for these shirts they're already receiving, via this user-generated-content site: http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-13827

Posted by: Tracy at April 29, 2008 4:58 PM

but is it clever if a company sells the idea to cnn then gets a cut of each T-shirt cnn sells? cause I'd guess that's what happened.

Posted by: nick at April 29, 2008 5:59 PM

Posted by: nick at April 29, 2008 6:02 PM

I checked the FAQ but there wasn't a "Q. Really??"

~BS

Posted by: Brendan Sweeney at April 29, 2008 9:07 PM

I checked the FAQ but there wasn't a "Q. Really??"

~BS

Posted by: Brendan Sweeney at April 29, 2008 9:08 PM

We're a news network, and so can you!

Posted by: Brian at April 29, 2008 9:44 PM

They've been desperate since The Daily Show stole their audience, but this really shows just HOW desperate. Points for self-criticism, though.

Posted by: Blank-Mage at April 30, 2008 12:16 AM

I cant decide if its lame or weak.

Posted by: Brad at April 30, 2008 9:52 AM

Yeah, not really ok for CNN. That should be something they fix in their program, not make money from...

Posted by: Ben at April 30, 2008 2:45 PM

Last week you could change the URL parameters to make your own headlines. Like "Ze Frank fries up another pankegg"

Now they have an MD5 hash verification. Too bad.

Posted by: Dan at April 30, 2008 2:50 PM