« Leningrad Cowboys culture mash up | Main | elitism? »

April 15, 2008

stewart on the "bitter" remark

one of his recent bests, with a great turn at the end :: click below to watch

Thanks for posting this!

Posted by: Mark at April 15, 2008 7:20 PM

Yes, Vote NADER!

Posted by: ObamaHillaryMcCain at April 15, 2008 7:20 PM

I missed the first half of that clip last night. But seriously-- isn't he right? "If you don't think you're better than us, what the f*** are you doing?!" It's true.

Posted by: hannah at April 15, 2008 8:37 PM

Elite Comedy!

Thanks for sharing, ze.

Posted by: j-schwa at April 15, 2008 8:59 PM

Thank you, Z!
Hillary, you ugly. U-G-L-Y, you ain't got no alibi, you ugly. Hey, hey, you ugly!

Posted by: TexasHawkeye at April 15, 2008 9:23 PM

Some of us are proud of our bitterness!

Bitter Americans

Posted by: Rich345 at April 15, 2008 9:26 PM

is it scary that we have to turn to comedians for critical reporting?

Posted by: Jana at April 15, 2008 9:30 PM

Greatness.

Posted by: Spamboy at April 15, 2008 9:40 PM

Stewart's as sharp as ever. Two days later, though, the Obama tide hasn't turned. Poll positions are the same as before his comment. Ooh, he's gonna win.

Posted by: Bruno at April 15, 2008 11:21 PM

Holy Crap. I JUST started watching this along with Colbert, and this was my first full episode. Weird.. Other than that, I had only watched it in english 101.

Posted by: Brian at April 16, 2008 1:34 AM

Elitism and the elite are concepts we don't like to dance around with much anymore. Big John is right to question why, regardless of whether or not Obama's statement is actually elitist.

I miss having cable. :'( the lolz, ze. THE LOLZ

Posted by: edbury at April 16, 2008 3:46 AM

The funny thing is that the fix is probably in for obama (i think that's the case when you're a kennedy endorsed democrat anywsho). Nonetheless the clinton campaign whips up out of context badly recorded speaches and proceeds to canibalize whatever's left from the party. Meanwhile, the republicans have a really united front.

Posted by: Dimitrios at April 16, 2008 7:50 AM

Whiskey in a velvet pouch... love it. Jon was en fuego in this spot.

Posted by: Tim Letscher (let5ch) at April 16, 2008 10:44 AM

I'm with Stewart. I hadn't thought about it, but when did the word elite come to mean money and not, "the best" (or 12 characters per inch)? There seems to be an economic definition for elite now and I'm not sure when that happened. Any economists/social or policitical scientists have input?

Posted by: Nicole at April 16, 2008 11:26 AM

Can't watch in Canada. Bullshit.

Posted by: jaygrandin at April 16, 2008 8:24 PM

His argument ignores the context of Obama's racism-is-okedokie-just-a-little-because-we, the-common-people, all-let-it-happen speech (erroneous and insulting assumption it was). He was oh so common then and played it hard with the exception of his elitist pronunciation of "divisive." (I think that is when the elitist vibe gained more force actually. Silly.)

Stewart kind of hints at it something here. Nobody will be surprised if McCain is elected, but so many are hoping for a surprise Obama win. A change of pace. Something different. I want the guy to win but more and more it feels like lottery odds every time he or his supporters speak. It's like they acknowledge that it is the unlikely, the impossible dream. I don't get how it is supposed to help Americans have confidence in him when his vocal supporters don't seem to have much.

Agreed that Clinton is lost. (Obama calls her Hilary when she calls him senator. That's an uncool vibe too.) But Crown is the primary ingredient a bitter state hilljack shot called a duckfart. The velvet bags hang from the rear view mirrors of beater pick up trucks all over western PA. Is it the elitist that makes assumptions like the one he made? I forget. He is funny guy though. I am just losing hope here.

Posted by: boo at April 16, 2008 9:22 PM

I am from Western P.A. and we are so like that, and yes most people want to leave asap once out of high school/college! I so ran and haven't looked back since. I also did use the velvet pouch to hold change in when I was a kid! Stewart hit the nail on the head with this one!

Posted by: Alissa at April 17, 2008 3:23 PM

Here in Baltimore after a good day begging for change, the homeless guys go straight for the best- it's Crown Royal all the way, yo.

Re: Elitist. It's one thing to be smarter or more capable. It's another to lack empathy. I think working class, AFL-CIO democrats object to being misunderstood.

Posted by: DS Bakker at April 20, 2008 9:28 AM

Ahhhh. Jon Stewart, you make it all better.

Posted by: Jocelyn at April 21, 2008 2:18 PM

I've already bookmark this article and will definitely refer this article to all my close friends and colleagues. Thanks for posting!

Posted by: RFID Reader at April 16, 2010 12:04 PM