« i have another question | Main | for dinner: »

May 24, 2008

biggest drawing in the world

this is pretty great! :: the hair especially...

This is brilliant!!
Another new media for expression.
I hope it gets the recognition it deserves.

Posted by: Curtis at May 24, 2008 8:21 AM

very impressive

Posted by: adam at May 24, 2008 8:52 AM

Fabulous! "Out of the crooked timber of humanity, no straight thing was ever made"
Kant

Posted by: Mary at May 24, 2008 11:32 AM

Alright, I'll be the sourpuss... I'm kind of skeptical that he was able to get DHL delivery planes to go loop-de-loop over oceans to make all the little details in the self-portrait. Looks like he had some corporate help from DHL, but it would be a huge investment on their part to divert their planes/ships/etc. to make all the specified details (for example the crazy route east of Madagascar). I'm sure the case stopped in all the specified cities, and kudos to him for pulling that off. But I'd need independent confirmation that the self-portrait as seen is exactly the route that the case took.

Whew. Done sourpussing. It's still a great idea for a project.

Posted by: Kevin Miller at May 24, 2008 2:04 PM

It's graphically great, but probably not real. GPS doesn't work inside a briefcase -- and it def. doesn't work inside a DHL cargo plane. GPS trackers need to be able to "see" the sky to record their position.

Posted by: robin at May 24, 2008 3:36 PM

FIRST!

Cool stuff.

Posted by: sally at May 25, 2008 12:21 AM

It's boooooguuuus

Posted by: Marc at May 25, 2008 2:07 AM

I like it, but I wish he provided more information. For all we know he just drew that onto a map of the world and put it online.

Posted by: Piers Rippey at May 25, 2008 2:16 AM

All those shipping receipts and not once does he mention how much it cost. That and the looseness of his drawing make me reluctantly doubt that he did this. You don't just draw a swirly line over Africa and say, "I'm going to be able to find a clear, safe, passable route exactly along this smooth line."

I'm with Kevin...I think it's possible that you could go to all those cities in a specific order, but making giant, superfluous loops with a cargo plane wastes huge amounts of fuel and would cause unimaginable flight control headaches.

Cute, but a little sad. If this has any truth to it, DHL should have (and would have) made a tear-jerky commercial to rub our noses in it and make big $.

P.S. His little briefcase looks like a bomb. And why does it seem like he's going along with it in the beginning of the video, but at the end, he's just waiting for it to arrive on his doorstep?

It's a cool idea, but doing it for real would be more fun, even if it turned out looking crappy.

Posted by: Diana B. at May 25, 2008 1:24 PM

Definitely a cool concept! But Kevin is right. Looks like it's a viral for DHL. The creator, Erik Nordenankar, is a student at at Beckman's college of advertising and design.

But still, nicely done.

Posted by: Konta at May 25, 2008 8:20 PM

real or not, the idea is interesting-- technology takes over the world again and again. Man uses technology to make his mark on the planet. etc.

Can't help feeling the dude's a bit egocentric.

Posted by: habile b at May 26, 2008 6:56 PM

Amazing.

Posted by: Marisa at May 27, 2008 11:02 AM

Bah! I've been doing the same thing for years. I employ a tinfoil hat and the tracking system used by those aliens who are following me. Thus far I've been focused on rendering the mole on my left cheek in vivid detail (Thus I hardly ever leave the Boston area). I don't work with the same sense of line as this artist. I am more into a multiplicity of short strokes with my rendering technique.

This going to take me a while.

Posted by: TomD at May 27, 2008 11:24 AM

Nice site. Great flash works! It really keeps me occupied playing with those flash stuff you made!

Posted by: Han Cheng at May 27, 2008 3:55 PM

he did put a disclaimer at the bottom, stating it's fiction. still an awesome idea, though something other than a self portrait would be more inspiring.

Posted by: ergo at May 27, 2008 6:29 PM

Interesting concept and a good story. But for the skeptics, just read the very last line on the site:

"This is fictional work. DHL did not transport the GPS at any time"

Posted by: robbier at May 27, 2008 6:55 PM

at the end it says: "This is fictional work. DHL did not transport the GPS at any time"
what's up with that?

Posted by: serialk at May 27, 2008 7:00 PM

It's official: This is a fake. It's on the website.

Posted by: David W. at May 27, 2008 7:36 PM

Yes! I like your hair longer!

Posted by: xfox at May 27, 2008 10:23 PM

Posted by: JDubFromTheHub at May 28, 2008 10:22 AM

Posted by: Kim at May 28, 2008 11:56 AM

While the artist was probably well-meaning, this bit of fakery makes me sad. If you have an intriguing hypothetical idea, don't try to pretend you've actually done it.

I need to wash the bad taste out of my mouth with an Earth Sandwich now.

Posted by: Rubrick at May 28, 2008 5:48 PM

This is for all those artist who say "the world is my canvas"

elroy.

Posted by: atomic elroy at May 28, 2008 6:42 PM

For all the artists who say: The world is my canvas!
elroy.

Posted by: atomic elroy at May 28, 2008 6:45 PM

great way to piss off a courier though...
stupid couriers!

Posted by: Wil L at May 29, 2008 1:53 AM

Ze!

Here's some Dirty Space News for you...

Posted by: JP at May 30, 2008 4:49 PM

I wonder if someone could help me out please. A while back ze posted a music video featuring an attractive couple in the car to gether, on a park bench and a train platform, and the girl was yap yapping all the way through until finally her boyfriend leaned over and settled her mind with a kiss. What video was that?

Thanks so much if you know this!

Posted by: Dom at May 31, 2008 7:28 AM