« of course it's in san fran | Main | xkcd »

May 8, 2008

rock band

A cute vid from a hyper musician on his frustration with rock band the game :: click below

Hey. I'd like to contact this filmmaker. Any idea where I find him?

Posted by: sean at May 8, 2008 11:59 AM

DDR is to dancing as Rock Band is to music. You never go to a club and see people just moving their feet between four different squares. Music is about a whole lot more than just hitting the notes (with the possible exception of 5th grade concert band.)

Posted by: Pete at May 8, 2008 2:27 PM

:) fantastic.

Posted by: ingrid at May 8, 2008 6:34 PM

That is so messed up; however, that is very true.

Posted by: David Alex Powell at May 8, 2008 6:55 PM

My sentiments exactly! It's not a game for musicians!

Posted by: jeano at May 9, 2008 1:51 PM

I understand the sentiment, but Rock Band isn't about being a musician. It's about having the shared experience of pretending to be a band with your friends without needing musical talent, expensive instruments and lots of time to practice together just to be able to play a few covers.

I mean, no one goes around harping that people who play Halo should just man up and fight space aliens.

Posted by: Jeff at May 9, 2008 2:24 PM

I'm pretty sure Rock Band is most enjoyed by non-musicians. You get the excitement or satisfaction of participation in music without the stress of having to understand it! But yeah, as a musician it kind of frustrates me too.

Posted by: gabriel at May 9, 2008 2:38 PM

One of the members of Sleater Kinney wrote a blog about rock band after she was asked to try it out. The gist of it was more or less "It's sad to think of kids coming home from school and instead of practicing to be a band with their friends, they're practicing to pretend being a band"

Posted by: Ben at May 9, 2008 10:42 PM

Enjoy lol.

Posted by: art at May 12, 2008 5:51 AM

music is about music, games are about games. what most people don't understand is that music games are (mostly) about rhythm. can you hit the buttons at the right time? getting fantastical about it is fun, too. i LOVED playing the rock band drums my first try at a demo station in best buy. i'll buy it for wii when it comes out.

Posted by: ronji at May 13, 2008 6:13 PM

The attitude is baffling to me. Yes, we wouldn't want people to have fun unless they're doing it the proper way, now, would we? A large part of the POINT of a simulation is to make the otherwise inaccessible experience accessible to the non-expert in some form. I flew recreationally for years and never once felt compelled to give the quizzical hairy eyeball to all those people enjoying Flight Sim -- in fact, I hope some of them took their interest to the next level and went on to become pilots.

Posted by: trish at May 17, 2008 12:18 AM

emm.. I am kinda baffled too; I'm baffled that so many people that have seen this video are assuming that I don't like 'rock band' or 'guitar hero' or that I am dissing the game.*
I am not; I like the game. I'm simply showing that I can't play it.
I suck so bad at it, it's painful.

* check out the nintendo blog (via youtube) and there is one guy who cusses and hates me SO MUCH, you'd think I'd killed a member of his family. amazing !

Posted by: crisb at May 23, 2008 11:56 AM

My friend made a music video on the same theme.

Posted by: Noah at May 28, 2008 4:25 PM