« merch | Main | ok - perhaps a quick test? :: what can you make with $20 »

June 19, 2008

charity idea revised

based on your comments, here is a revision of the charity idea from yesterday. We could call it "Made of Money". Basic concept: Money is collected and used as an art supply or building material for participatory installation(s), then at the end the money is donated to a charity.

Thoughts:
- money shouldn't be damaged in the process, so no glue.
- coins could be rolled up, or put into some sort of brick for building
- although i still like the idea of building a house, we could also make mosaics, origami, sculptures, etc...
- there could be a competitive element on a local scale - where teams show of their craft, then the money could be shipped and used in a big build.

not sure if this is viable, and not promising to do it, but so far i like the fact that it is direct and simple. keep the ideas coming....

If you do any sort of contest (house), you'd probably need a ton (maybe literally) of more money than if you were just going to make 1 thing (house), but creating smaller things (house) would make it more possible.

P.S. I like the house idea.

Posted by: Rae at June 19, 2008 11:32 AM

Shipping coins sounds like it adds a layer of expense that could be saved by sending a check or paypal payment.

Posted by: notshakespeare at June 19, 2008 12:37 PM

Coins could be glued together and then un-stuck with acetone. Good idea.
WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH TWENTY DOLLARS would be an interesting concept

Posted by: Hudson Gardner at June 19, 2008 12:37 PM

Coins could be glued together and then un-stuck with acetone. Good idea.
WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH TWENTY DOLLARS would be an interesting concept

Posted by: Hudson Gardner at June 19, 2008 12:41 PM

As I was reading this post and the previous one about the money-house, I couldn't help but think about the stop-motion commercial where flowing change builds a set of headphones.

That aside, I've seen enough cool donation constructions projects to think that this has real potential. Whether it's murals made of donated cans of food or houses built of jars of spare change, I think that people just want the added entertainment before they donate.

I know that I would enjoy working in a money-art fair, making mosaics of pennies in different states of shine and filth. It could be called Charity Crafts or some such thing.

My question is, would these crafts be undertaken by the donating individuals themselves, or would it be carried out by the people working for the charity? Would the person with the big jar of change get to add it all to the house, or would she have to hand it off to someone else?

Posted by: jagadaishio at June 19, 2008 1:05 PM

Great idea!!

me thinks it can be done!

here's some links to some practiced coin stackers.. maybe they can help!

xx

Posted by: Anna Darron at June 19, 2008 4:16 PM

oo and like this!
but instead of cheetos..

think monies ^-^

Posted by: Anna Darron at June 19, 2008 4:29 PM

you can use a water soluble glue like this one:
to stick the coins together, and when it's charity time, you can just throw the sculptures in a bucket of water or something and it'll turn back into money.

other water-soluble glue resources:

it'd probably be wise to test it first on a couple coins, since i'm just making this idea up.

Posted by: darla at June 19, 2008 5:02 PM

Sounds great!
Count me in! ^^

Posted by: Jaunell at June 19, 2008 5:18 PM

instead of a house you could make a portrait or picture by assembling the coins in a manner, based on their colors. like coin mosaic.

Posted by: Joao Lago at June 19, 2008 10:26 PM

A long, long time ago, I worked in a coin-rolling factory (made it possible for me to move to Boston and join a band). I had the penny line. All of the rolled coins are packed in boxes. I don't recall how many pennies per box, maybe $50-$100? But there's your brick.

Love this idea.

Posted by: Jocelyn at June 20, 2008 2:28 AM

Change for good.

Posted by: rumoko at June 20, 2008 3:43 AM

I don't know if anyone has mentioned old European money, but charities and banks are still accepting old money, and I know a lot of it is still floating around. For instance, since my household travels a lot for business, we had a bag of foreign currency in our house to use for such occasions, and most of the money is now defunct (Lyra, Francs, Deutsch Marks, etc). We overlooked getting it all converted when it all changed to the Euro. We could buck the lot into a charity, but I like the idea of using it first visually for an art installation. I know for certain that there are still people in the EU have old money knocking around which is still worth something but they're maybe not bothered doing anything with. Has there been any talk about using foreign currency that is out of circulation but still worth something?

Posted by: Molly at June 20, 2008 5:16 AM

There's a toy that allows you to clip together coins to build things. I think it's called coinstruction. It's conceivalbe that the company would contribute or loan them for projects.

I can envision having a large pool of contributed coins and another of clips for the build teams to work with. Once the works are complete, there could be judging, or (put your money where your mouth is) do an auction of the resulting works- starting bid is the value of the coins used?

Posted by: TheFishmonger at June 20, 2008 8:45 AM

How about the $100 house? or make it a little political and use money from Zimbabwe. Currently 1 US Dollar = 6,332,524,860 Zimbabwe Dollars. That's a pretty big house!

Or we could supply you with a design of one of our Gulf Coast reconstruction homes or affordable homes in Africa and use the proceeds to fund one.

cheers
Cameron

Posted by: Cameron at June 20, 2008 12:40 PM

maybe that'll help you out and give you some ideas Ze

Posted by: Maria at June 20, 2008 8:59 PM

Also consider that someone may want to buy the structure(s) for more than the their cash value. Then you can give potentially MORE money to the charity in a more portable form.

Great idea BTW!

Posted by: Chris at June 23, 2008 5:19 PM

zefrank
you have 9000+
"followeres"
................. they could build you a modest abode.
Surely that would count as charity

Posted by: Lyn (MoJoRisin2) at July 12, 2008 4:11 PM