« charity idea revised | Main | taking a little vacation :) »

June 20, 2008

ok - perhaps a quick test? :: what can you make with $20

if anyone is game this weekend perhaps we could try a quick test of the "made of money" idea. Hudson Gardner had the idea of starting small - "what can you make with twenty dollars". The creation has to be made of the money itself - bills, coins, maybe even checks. For now there are no limitations on how you attach, bind and display. Take some pictures as documentation and send them to me at ze@zefrank.com.

Hi Ze,
You might already know about this, but I've just remembered reading about some students who took the idea of building cantilevered structures with coins to its logical limit...

Possibly useful?

Posted by: Benji XVI at June 20, 2008 1:03 PM

i'm in.

Posted by: trick at June 20, 2008 6:17 PM

Oh yeah, sounds like a great idea!

Posted by: Jason Sanders at June 20, 2008 11:10 PM

Hey Ze and all the builders,

Don't forget that Korean Wan and Japanese Yen both have coins with holes in the middle. These holes make for great reenforcement locations by using string, pipe cleaners, rods, dental floss, you name it. Also while making bridges and roofs where weight can be an issue these coins offer similar sizes to US currency but with a reduction in the weight due to lighter and less material.

Happy building.

-Mark

Posted by: Mark Smith at June 21, 2008 1:45 AM

Once I used these ideas to give money as gift:

Posted by: Ysa at June 21, 2008 10:54 AM

Wow--that site that Benji XVI posted was pretty impressive. Cantilevers certainly make building real structures more possible--I wonder if there's any other architechtural tricks that could be applied? ...Flying Buttresses?

Posted by: Christian at June 21, 2008 1:25 PM

I live in the UK. A £20 note is a lot of money to us right now, what, with utility prices rising etc....would a £5 note do?

Clare

Posted by: Clare at June 21, 2008 6:47 PM

I once gifted a friend with 16 dollar bills folded into frogs, and each frog had a quarter in it's mouth...

Posted by: Gert at June 21, 2008 9:30 PM

should really be the only one anybodys talking about

Posted by: True at June 22, 2008 4:02 PM

I'm in, but...

what about us non-US residents?

ca I work with 20 of your own money or beg tourists for US coins?

Posted by: radovan grezo at June 25, 2008 4:35 AM

An expensive paper aeroplane

Posted by: FatalCure at June 25, 2008 7:51 AM

sounds good. i don't think i'll have time right now to do this one; i've to catch up with a buttload of stuff after that vacation. i'm definitely in for the next one.

-jay was here!

Posted by: jay aoyama at June 25, 2008 8:54 PM

I find your twitters interesting most of the time. You seem like a deep guy with a sense of humor. This web page needs some work. I think you should what came you make with an American dollar, all over the world. The value of some local currencies are greater even though the EU is up and we are down. Plus infrastructure of taxes and use of internet is cheaper. No cost to receive txts and calls. u can make lots of toys for no money.

Posted by: ramata at June 26, 2008 1:40 PM

hey so could the fabulous british use £10.03 instead? thats the equivalent, google told me.

I'm glad we're still doing these.

Posted by: stephope at July 1, 2008 2:45 PM