« a fun charity idea | Main | merch »

June 18, 2008

what shall i do with the rational triggers?

your comments here are so great i would love to do something with them. any suggestions?

Create a Single Serving Site.

Posted by: Samuel at June 18, 2008 11:22 AM

Create a text message newsletter type service that at completely random times sends them out to people... then add features where people can add their own and categorize them. Folks like me could subscribe to ze's random trigger bomb (or whatever) and choose categories like humor, motivation, relax, genius, etc and get random little phrases... the randomness makes it more likely to inspire or motivate when least expected.

Posted by: Chris Wible at June 18, 2008 11:45 AM

I´d make a little website that shows one message randomly and put some "worked for me" "didn´t work for me" buttons under it and maybe a panic button like "nothing´s working!" thats spits out a link to your next doctor ;-)

Posted by: Phil at June 18, 2008 11:56 AM

a random blurb generator... power blurb of the day sort of thing. :/

Posted by: rambly at June 18, 2008 12:08 PM

Inscribe them on a tombstone.

Posted by: Ke Ruthe at June 18, 2008 12:11 PM

could you have a little box where we can type in something we are suppose to be working on - and then like the magic 8 ball, one of those phrases randomly appears and tells us to "follow through" or "what would the hero you do?"

Posted by: natisha at June 18, 2008 12:18 PM

Random pick-me-up/mantra generator?

Posted by: Sarah at June 18, 2008 12:28 PM

I'm not sure how to automate it, but it would be cool to have a mind map kind of like visual thesaurus. There could be a set of philosophical concepts like "be here now" and the triggers would connect to the concepts they remind us of. "Own it" might be connected to "personal responsibility" whereas "Live your dream" is connected to both "personal responsibility" and "plan for the future". It'd be interesting to see how many of our triggers link to the same underlying concept. The disadvantage might be that it demystifies the trigger, rendering it ineffective.

Posted by: Hyperbolic Dan at June 18, 2008 12:32 PM

Take an afternoon and try to squeeze them onto one sticky note. Post it next to your monitor.

Posted by: Steve at June 18, 2008 12:36 PM

You could make them into a free association game, kind of like the visual thesaurus, only more colorful, playful, poignant - more Ze-ish. Concepts could be initially arranged by theme, and you could connect them as in: "good things come to those who wait" - connect to "good things" "waiting" "patience" "procrastination".... I'm sure you get the idea. Criminy, even themes could have color to them that blends - blues into reds making purples, a hint of melancholy mixed with hope making pink...

Posted by: Jeano at June 18, 2008 12:54 PM

VI-DE-O!

Like them old days, Ze.
We all read our own phrase to camera and you stitch them together like a wonderful duvet of the emotioself.

I know it's simple, but it would make us better.
Like Cocoa.

Posted by: Matan at June 18, 2008 1:00 PM

put them all into a tinier-than-usual book and carry it around in the zippo pocket of your jeans. dispense wisdom accordingly.

Posted by: lorn at June 18, 2008 1:11 PM

put them in a tinier-than-usual book and keep them in the zippo pocket of your jeans. dispense wisdom accordingly.

Posted by: lorn at June 18, 2008 1:16 PM

Post each one on a sticky note then draw with them. If you do it in a public setting people can come take a look at each one and take home one of their own.

I did this: http://gallery.mac.com/livefire_org#100072

FroshArt in stickynote blackletter.

Posted by: Mike Garrett at June 18, 2008 1:34 PM

Sarah: like a mantra-o-matic. :P awesome. even better if it had a brain plug in so that the appropriate phrase would come to mind at just the right moment.

Posted by: ingrid at June 18, 2008 2:05 PM

I like the magic 8 ball idea, but I also like the thing about categorizing all of the little sayings and stuff. You just gotta remember to make it Ze-ish.

But otherwise you're gonna need a really big sticky note.

Posted by: Ray at June 18, 2008 6:24 PM

I loved your quote animation ("What happens to a dream deferred? *whooshing effect/dissolve* Does it dry up, like a raisin in the sun?") and always wished it were a screen saver that could be downloaded. Maybe you could do that with some of the mantras you feel are most compelling?

(It may seem like I'm just being suck-uppy, but honestly, that would be amazing and wonderful.)

Posted by: Kimmyesque at June 18, 2008 10:28 PM

My twitter experiment, www.twitter.com/tweetalot, randomly tweets a U.S. patent title every minute.

You could do something similar with a rational triggers database.

Posted by: Steve at June 18, 2008 11:29 PM

Magnetic poetry where each phrase is a piece and we can click-and-drag to arrange them.

Posted by: benny at June 19, 2008 9:40 AM

interactive toy:

-->> motivational rap machine <<--

record the motivational sentences, add some weird tunes (carol maker style) and a record & save option to share the best motivational rap songs in a gallery :)

Posted by: Frieda at June 19, 2008 5:21 PM

The "real" world should be covered with rational triggers; posters, stencils, graffiti, stickers... I would rather read something inspirational while waiting at the bus stop than an advertisement for McDonald's. It would be cool to design them in a way that they could be applied over the top of advertising/brands to change the message.

I'd like a watch that monitors my pulse and when it detects that I'm under stress it whispers rational triggers to me (when I get stressed I forget what to do to make myself feel better).

Posted by: Tara at June 21, 2008 7:30 PM

I like Phil's idea.
Maybe there could be a page that says: "how do you feel?"
and you answer with choices like "lazy", "annoyed", "hopeless", "overworked", and stuff like that, then depending on how you answer a trigger is displayed. So the type of trigger matches the mood you're in.

Posted by: Lexy at June 30, 2008 3:58 PM

Throw yourself off-balance-- put them in places you see every day but usually don't pay attention to.

Posted by: Rae at July 5, 2008 7:29 PM

You might like this site.

Posted by: Bunnee at July 22, 2008 6:02 PM