« sorry | Main | Randy Pausch RIP »

July 24, 2008

ear piece.

BBC NEWS | Health | US cancer boss in mobiles warning

Bu...but I love my cell phone... I guess I love my brain more.

Posted by: wally at July 24, 2008 9:12 AM

Here's my thing: whether you're talking or not, the cell phone is staying in constant communication with nearby towers. So if the thing is putting out harmful radiation, does using an ear piece and keeping the phone in your pocket next to MANY SENSITIVE ORGANS make sense? Are we trading brain tumors for something else?

Posted by: Jemaleddin at July 24, 2008 5:00 PM

It is hard to know if the devices we use are causing brain tumors or if we are just getting better at detecting them. Around the same time that magnetic resonance imagery MRI came out, so did nutrasweet. So does nutrasweet cause brain tumors or did we just find a whole bunch more since we invented a tool to look inside the head rather painlessly?

My dad had two brain tumors and he is still with us. But the docs originally diagnosed him with multiple sclerosis. Then they did an MRI and saw what the real cause of his back pain was.

Posted by: schmoopy at July 24, 2008 7:54 PM

i think this guiness is giving me cancer...

Posted by: nicktherat at July 24, 2008 11:47 PM

Anyone know if this applies to other comm devices such as wireless headsets?

Posted by: Ben at July 26, 2008 6:22 PM

Anyone know if this applies to other comm devices such as wireless headsets?

Posted by: Ben at July 26, 2008 6:22 PM

Bacon! Red Wine! Milk! Cholesterol! Sex! Running! Coffee!

Crap, we're gonna die, and science is getting all duplicitous on us again. It's ok for you, now it's not ok anymore.

I'm sure it not a good idea to hold anything radiat-ey next our noggins, but we do lots of things that aren't good for us and we seem to mostly get along just fine, right?

Call Me! *ow, ow, my brain* Ok, don't.

(hope you're well and having fun)

Posted by: Sarah at July 30, 2008 12:09 AM

you can just think of brain tumors as accessories. brain jewelery if you like.

it's all in how you spin it.

;)

Posted by: ingrid at August 2, 2008 4:54 PM

So, I work in the same department as the doctor who released this 'big find.' It was sent to all of our emails the morning of and I just laughed to myself because to me, he just reinvented the wheel. I remember reports coming out 5 years ago speculating the exact same thing.

For whatever reason this time, its getting more attention.

Posted by: adam at August 5, 2008 9:24 AM