« back scratching | Main | "selling out" »

July 1, 2008

so...the test was a pfffft

using money as an art supply didn't quite cut it. I received a single image (below) from sarah - which i quite liked, and also was sent a bunch of links to previous attempts at making art from cash. I won't speculate as to why this idea pooped the bed, but i think for the moment it will be put to rest.

Isn't the problem mainly that money is not a good building material? Too heavy.

Posted by: Phil Brown at July 1, 2008 9:28 PM

Ze,

As an artist, I believe the main problem is quantity. Particularly if you are intending to use money as a building material. The more you have the more options you have, but most options are just altered arrangements of money. To arrange money into something that transcends the materiality money, I believe you're going to need truckloads.

-edward

Posted by: Edward Rossel de Jongh at July 2, 2008 12:59 AM

Sarah - that picture is beautiful, like a shimmery forest atop the lake of shining waters - I would totally live there. Good Job!

Posted by: natisha at July 2, 2008 2:23 PM

Hmm...

Perhaps the people who have enough extra money to make art with it don't have time because they are busy earning money.

And the people who have enough time are broke. Because they aren't working.

Okay, that wasn't funny like I thought it would be, but you get my point.

Maybe there would be more ideas to work with if the challenge was to use money *plus ONE other material* since money can basically only be folded and stacked... not much else (although I love the picture above, which involves neither).

I think this is a cool idea. It just needs... something else.

Posted by: Diana B. at July 2, 2008 2:55 PM

well I didn't do it because I didn't have enough money and money gets your hands really dirty in a very literal way.

Posted by: jeano at July 2, 2008 8:12 PM

I couldn't do it. Even for a good cause. I see people scratching to get by everyday. A kid who would eat for a week on twenty bucks. A mom who would probably take 2 of it to get some cheap plastic to make her kid smile and then use the rest for food. People are having trouble with the basics and to play with money . . . well, it made me feel like I was disrespecting their struggle.

I know it wasn't like that. It was art. But when I tried some old origami tricks, I just kept crying. So I took a pass.

Posted by: boo at July 2, 2008 9:47 PM

Are you familiar with this.

K Foundation burnt £1 Million pounds and filmed it.

Posted by: Hugh Garry at July 3, 2008 5:04 AM

I will speculate that it pooped the bed for the same reason 600 starbucks stores pooped the bed.

=p

Posted by: gifa at July 3, 2008 11:13 AM

hey, don't give it up- i'm still going to make something for this project. it's going to be decadent! i've only got washingtons to work with, though, which won't work as well as as franklins...

-jay was here!

Posted by: jay aoyama at July 3, 2008 6:38 PM

There was a stop motion commercial I believe for a credit card a few months or longer ago that did a pretty good job of stacking coins to resemble a boot on a table...

Had they turned it into a dove instead just for a quick vid would you say that would transend the material quality?

Posted by: Senseless_ at July 11, 2008 12:59 PM

Here's a story of pennies and charity:

Sat Jul 12, 11:49 AM ET

FORT SCOTT, Kan. - Hundreds of volunteers have proven pennies really can go a long way. Miles, in fact.

Three days after the first coin was placed on the ground Tuesday evening, the group had assembled a 40-mile-long chain of pennies Friday night in the parking lot of Fort Scott Middle School.

"This is pretty awesome," said volunteer Diana Mitchell.

It's the longest line of pennies ever assembled, eclipsing the old mark by more than five miles, according to an official from the Guinness Book of World Records. The previous record was 34.57 miles, set in Malaysia in 1995.

"They set the record for the longest line of coins and the whole community came together," said Kaoru Ishikawa, a Guinness record manager. "It's been quite a moving time."

It was the second record set in this town just west of the Missouri line. On Thursday night, volunteers and members of the Fort Scott Youth Activities Team put down a mile of pennies in a time of 2:23.01 — just 74 seconds faster than the previous record of 2:24.15, set in February by teachers and pupils in Rickmansworth, United Kingdom, Ishikawa said.

The penny program was part of an effort to raise money for improvements at Fort Scott's Ellis Park. The $33,790 raised will go toward $4 million in projects planned for the park.

"It is so wonderful to be part of a community that believes in something and comes out to lay coins," Mitchell said. "So many people said they just came out to look, but they ended up helping out."

Posted by: Robert at July 14, 2008 7:26 PM

Cornelia Parker, a British artist I've worked with, has done this twice. As a student my twin brother and I worked as her crew, travelling Europe helping put her installations up. Sounds cool, and it was, but suspending over eight thousand coins individually from florists wire takes time that's better spent getting drunk and chatting up wide-eyed newly-ex-Eastern Bloc German girls, who are easily impressed by any cash amount over £5. But here's the art work:

She did it again, but having learnt her lesson (or having got pissed off with me and twin brother) she scaled down somewhat this time, and just stretched a silver dollar until it was the height of the Statue of Liberty:

Posted by: Chrislunch at July 16, 2008 12:43 PM

Ze, you should check out this furniture made of money (sofa and chairs):

You may call it art or not, but they are made of money and IMHO the sofa at least is very artistic :)

San :)

Posted by: Sandra at July 17, 2008 12:32 PM

As Chrislunch's twin brother, I can vouch for his account of hanging Cornelia Parker's installation made entirely from coins crushed on a train track. Its an awesome piece, but a bugger to hang up.

I have to quibble with his claim that wide-eyed newly-Eastern Bloc German girls were easy to impress, though. Or at least, it didn't work for me, and I don't recall him getting anywhere either.

Posted by: matlock at September 3, 2008 5:19 PM