« haven't seen something like this for a while | Main | flickr »

August 16, 2008

only two weeks of vacation left!

what shall we do together this fall?

Perhaps we could teach each other some neat things using one of those Online Learning sites? That way, those of us in classes could keep our noggins busy and have fun.

Posted by: Caroline at August 16, 2008 10:51 AM

Is everyone a little nervous to suggest something? C'mon, guys, conversation is vital to Ze's work, right? If we're all so quiet nothing'll happen!

Naturally, the inclination is to lust after more 'The Show', but obviously that particular chapter of your(addressing Ze at this point, I guess) career is done. But of course, video seems like the logical medium for you to work in - the other two options on the net(text and audio) would seem like a step back, perhaps.

There are the large collaborative online experiments, too, of course - but they can seem somewhat impenetrable to an outsider. Perhaps some melding of those experiments and your patented videoblog style? A weekly(twice-weekly?) catch-up on, say, the latest round of massively multiplayer bingo or viewers's attempts to create a new ballroom dance or whatever.

I may be rambling at this point... I may have been rambling the whole time.

(...'First1!' ?)

Posted by: Avery Edison at August 16, 2008 11:29 AM

Ah, comments approved by hand. That's why there were no others visible.

Guess who feels like an ass? (It's me.)

Posted by: Avery Edison at August 16, 2008 11:33 AM

Hmmm off the top of my head...

make up our own holidays and everyone take pictures of themselves celebrating them? Maybe have a blog/site dedicated to this holiday? like for example...
"wear yer pants backwards day"
"dress up like your favorite action hero day"
"talk in a funny accent day"
"sign your name backwards day"
"wear a silly wig day"
or
maybe have a giant ORG reunion picnic somewhere and everyone has to bring sandwiches?

Posted by: Kerri at August 16, 2008 12:16 PM

I don't know man, but this summer has deprived of creative energy. Any tips?

Posted by: Jean Beauchamp at August 16, 2008 12:16 PM

I've been asking a weekly question of my e-mail list for about 7 years now. I recently decided to take my questions to the streets, via sidewalk chalk. In addition to the questions, I've been writing reminders, to. In front of the General Assistance office, in front of the 9th Circuit Court building, and generally on the streets of SoMa in San Francisco, I write things like: You are beautiful, You are loved, You are perfect, You are cared for.

What if everyone sent out a positive message, in their own way, to as many people as they can, and shared the action and results with other sports racers?

Posted by: The Curious at August 16, 2008 1:18 PM

More The Shows....

Posted by: Gordon at August 16, 2008 3:08 PM

We could go bowling. A lot.

Posted by: Michael at August 16, 2008 3:14 PM

What do you mean "we"? :D

Posted by: RAB at August 16, 2008 4:21 PM

I've just started going though The Show again with some friends and I've realized how much I miss your political commentary. That's not really a project, but I thought I'd mention it. Here are some ideas off the top of my head:

Are you familiar with Cows on Parade? (http://www.chicagotraveler.com/cows_on_parade.htm)
What about some sort of multi-city outdoor art project? "And suddenly, one morning, the streets were filled with duckies."

Or maybe an underground street gang whose entire purpose is to secretly attach labels to things in public? (e.g tie a tag to a bike that says "This is a bike")

Original art exchange - You make something and trade it for something somebody else made.

Artist collectives - form small groups of people who will undertake individual collaborative projects.

Let's play "Who can make the nightly news?" (with some rules about legality and such of course. You should make the news by virtue of awesomeness alone.)

Posted by: Ben at August 16, 2008 6:26 PM

How bout some blue screen action? Or we could all go back to school and finish up those dance degrees... you know, improper dancing?

Posted by: Ben at August 16, 2008 7:18 PM

Smack talk haiku off.

~BS

Posted by: Brendan at August 16, 2008 8:50 PM

We could commit to a new experience in a new space, sort of a follow-along to your idea of busting our collective cycles. We could each travel somewhere (e.g., take a road trip, catch a plane) and do something, according to certain conditions: a) we've never been to this particular destination, b) it's something we have never done before (e.g., go bungee jumping, get a tattoo, vote in a presidential election), and c) the trip must take place during a specified time frame. Then we report back via post card/travelogue/pictorial/video.

It might be that spark of adventure we need to make us try something we might not otherwise try or make a trip to a place we might not otherwise visit.

Posted by: Kimmyesque at August 16, 2008 9:04 PM

I always enjoyed the mixes done by your viewers. How about everyone contribute a sound or a short series of anything "musical" or "percussive" and then the mixers go to town and make a song out of it?

Posted by: KayJay at August 16, 2008 9:31 PM

Oh! Oh! One more thing.

Could we try to do some collaborative video thing? Seeing as your (what are we, fans? listeners? readers? viewers? We need a name since the ORG is gone. Maybe Duckies!)

*starts again*

Seeing as your Duckies are spread all over the country, find some really odd famous thing about your town/region/state and take some video footage of it, then Ze can write a song and mash it all together... ten seconds per state. *makes work for Ze*

We have the world's largest pile of oil cans, for starters.

Posted by: KayJay at August 16, 2008 9:44 PM

We could go down to the park and play chess

Posted by: Steph at August 16, 2008 9:48 PM

Let's produce a video every day for a year.

Oh wait... why does that sound familiar.

Ok! How about we all try to lose weight. i.e. we, as a community, try to lose one ton of body fat. That'd be like... more than could fit in an elevator.

Posted by: Tom Limoncelli at August 16, 2008 11:51 PM

We shall dance in fields of sunlight.

Posted by: Audrey at August 17, 2008 1:20 AM

How about film mundane things (such as eating a bowl of cereal or reading the paper), posting them online, and encourage people to write ornate, artistic interpretations about said mundane things? For example, someone eating a bowl of cereal can be seen as an analogy for the US economy, etc. It'll be fun, and it makes you think!

Or we could post pictures of what we have for breakfast--sitting in a mailbox. And then film what the mailman does.

Posted by: Cerebelle at August 17, 2008 1:53 AM

I've been busy prowling the streets at night, carrying a greatsword made of PVC, duct tape and foam. (I walk home after work, and I like making life a little less predictable. Well, for others.)

I like Ben's idea of attaching labels to things, and while I'm not quite as encouraging as The Curious, leaving easily removable, positive graffiti has always been an interesting notion of mine. I think we should leave the writing implement (chalk would be good) at the scene, to encourage replies. Imagine a conversation between strangers, written in a parking lot. Awesome.

And as always, you could do The Show. Ya know. If you're bored.

Posted by: Blank-Mage at August 17, 2008 3:19 AM

I suggest celebrating "international talk like a pirate day"
September 19th is known as the day where everyone talks about booty and shivering their timbers. I think it would be a wonderful thing to participate in, and would get some colourful commentary.
... yarr

Posted by: Laura at August 17, 2008 4:11 AM

exfoliate.....
and then..... start reading In Search of Lost Time... aloud..... share it with the world
quite sure it's going to fill up your 2 weeks :)))

Posted by: Martina at August 17, 2008 4:44 AM

I suggest that a whole bunch of us participate in a "bust that cycle" experiment in which each person has to do that one thing that he or she really fears to do. It could be calling up someone you're interested in, it could be tackling a creative project, getting in shape, whatever. But it has to be something difficult, painful and a shock to the system. Eleanor Roosevelt : "You have to do the thing you think you cannot do." This is not liable to be a popular thing to do but if enough people decide to say yes to it, we could generate a positive energy that might assist in accomplishing the goal. We could share our experiences, good or bad, afterwards.

Posted by: M.J. Devlin at August 17, 2008 12:31 PM

You should teach a class online. Quite seriously. About something completely unnecessary and foolish.

Posted by: Cuphate at August 17, 2008 1:13 PM

Let's make a lip dub to one of your songs! http://www.vimeo.com/173714 a la this...
Maybe Social Network for Two? Or, of course, Cleo's Theme...

Posted by: Claire at August 17, 2008 2:00 PM

a lot of initiative here. tons of great potential projects. myself, i can't seem to think of anything right now that is not the show, except...

i think a good idea would be to work on the post .org... the bridge. i admit i'ven't been there recently.

-jay was here!

Posted by: jay aoyama at August 17, 2008 7:22 PM

How about:

a video toss: someone makes a 15-30 second video and at the end, makes the "toss" to the next person, i.e., "and that's my video, Jim!?" Then "Jim" creates his video. It must include something relevant to what came before, then "Jim" tosses to the next person. The names could come from a sign up sheet posted on zefrank.com and the only rules would be such as: "develop concepts further with kind intent" and "no denial of previous realities" and "go with the flow".

Submissions over 30 seconds would not be accepted but re-edits to fit time frame would be welcomed.

OR we could do: "The Show Must Go On" in which everyone makes his/her own episode of "The Show" (30 sec max) and commits to ONE video in a year with a turnaround time of two days after the assignment has been posted (names from list chosen at random) day so projects won't be belabored (and will be more in spirit like The Show).

Okay how 'bout that, or we could make cootie catchers and then have lemon pie.

Posted by: Jeano at August 17, 2008 8:41 PM

Why not talk to the TV giants about bringing back "That Was The Week That Was"? Would you enjoy doing political satire in that setting? If so, I would watch it every week as well as email you groovy ideas.

Posted by: Lyn at August 17, 2008 11:05 PM

Posted by: Lyn at August 17, 2008 11:05 PM

Posted by: Lyn at August 17, 2008 11:05 PM

Posted by: Lyn at August 17, 2008 11:05 PM

Posted by: Lyn at August 17, 2008 11:05 PM

It's politics for the fall, but for a non political group activity I don't know, maybe surfing.

Posted by: danielmcvicar at August 18, 2008 12:34 AM

Design songs specifically for Audiosurf(http://www.audio-surf.com/).

Posted by: ForShadow at August 18, 2008 12:52 AM

I'm a big fan of puddle-jumping.

To "The Curious": For the past three years or so, I've been writing affirmations on paper money. It's nothing much, and I'm not sure if they're even noticed, but I'd like to think that I've made a few people a little happier.

Posted by: Mariah at August 18, 2008 2:19 AM

I now have a blue room... So blue screening might be cool.

Posted by: Gordon at August 18, 2008 2:49 AM

This idea is not very well formulated yet... but I'm thinking something along the lines of "awareness building" re a social cause, an NGO, art etc ... something/someone doing something extraordinary that has impact.

Community-generated viral marketing for good? In particular (and this reflects my current state of mind), I'm imagining something that builds hope by providing success stories about what works vs. more gloom stories about how we're all going to hell in a handbasket.

And of course, this could easily combined with bowling.

Posted by: ingrid at August 18, 2008 7:01 AM

Let's play Hometown Tourist!

Reading travelogues is a weird past time of mine. Yet I find that people generally take for granted the amazing things that can be found practically in their own backyards.

Posted by: Jenn at August 18, 2008 8:26 AM

web-pottery classes!

Posted by: Benny at August 18, 2008 10:08 AM

I think we should buy those plastic googly eyes from the craft store, and then sneak around our places of work affixing them to various office supplies. Lamps, staplers, coffee mugs, etc. This will lead to an entertaining mix of amusement and paranoia on the part of our coworkers.

Posted by: Heidi at August 18, 2008 10:30 AM

We could start a social internet trend and have a race to see which application enables faster proliferation. For example, making people do something with their avatars and see if the trend happens faster in Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, Last.fm, or any other site.

It can even involve duckies!

Posted by: Rosemary L at August 18, 2008 12:51 PM

I'm bored with the culture in some way I can't really describe. Bored with the Olympics, bored with War, bored with Americanness, bored with the Internet.

But I'm excited about some of the suggestions here: Let's make a new holiday! But not an American holiday, or a Holiday for zeFans, or simply a cyber-meme. Let's make it and disseminate it. Make it global. Make it societal, even if just in a tiny (hopefully silly) way.

I'd vote for the new dance, too.

Posted by: Eddie at August 18, 2008 4:08 PM

How about a picnic?

Posted by: Patty at August 18, 2008 5:06 PM

Ms. Jeano (above) has some good ones!

I think we should film ourselves eating our favorite deserts, then contrast that by filming ourselves eating something we don't really like at all, followed by footage of the ritualistic cleansing of the mouth(mouthwash, brushing teeth etc.) I think it could be really entertaining.

Posted by: SetanaZen at August 18, 2008 7:55 PM

Plan to take over the world?

I'm interested in the idea of a knowledge share. Share skills and such, and share news that slipped through the cracks, though I'm afraid what that would look like if everyone just started screaming "look at me, I got something to say." Oh wait... that's most forums.

Let's solve the energy crisis.

Posted by: Kurt at August 18, 2008 8:47 PM

we could make an operating system

Posted by: valentino at August 18, 2008 9:25 PM

The (Road) Show - Ze travels the world fueled only by the creativity of sports racers.

Posted by: Than at August 18, 2008 11:15 PM

As global warming and reducing consumption has become more and more of a common topic it might be good to try to change the general way of thinking about these issues. At least the consumption issue is not going to solve itself by just trying to consume less. Consuming less is better than nothing but will eventually lead us to the same result as the mass consumption that we’re used to, it’ll just take a while longer. The real solution lies somewhere in changing the way production systems are built and thought of. Instead of thinking of a new product from cradle to grave it might be good to consider it from cradle to cradle. That means that instead of using a product and throwing it to the garbage, it would actually be reused with no leftovers. This also includes the production process to be trash free. If you think that your power is limited to your purchase decisions you’re wrong. You can do so much more! Just stop for a second and think about it. What ever it is you end up doing try to remember this, it doesn't concern just the things you purchase, it also involves the things you create.

Posted by: Kirsi at August 19, 2008 7:42 AM

I love love love MJ Devlin's suggestion.

But maybe that's because I'm stuck. And accountability helps me a lot.

Posted by: ingrid at August 19, 2008 10:03 AM

Let's do cool art and technology projects! I feel so uninspired, but maybe if I was working with other people it would be more inspiring.

Also, I want to see more of you, Ze. Write things that are longer. Record more shows. Something. You're cool.

Posted by: Harris at August 19, 2008 10:30 AM

I, being not too involved with many technicalities and crazy computer shtuffs, advocate for some fun things. An online class would be fun, and obviously we would learn something. We could have a different teacher every week or month, teaching totally different things. I also like the placing signs on random objects. Everyone can document their work (pictures, videos) and post them at the same place.
Being sportsracers, we all love the collaborative video project. I liked the idea of each person making their own show, just once a year or once a month. This would make a new version of The Show, which we all miss greatly.

Posted by: Father Louis at August 19, 2008 3:26 PM

Audio commentary for Fingers in Food. Perhaps a full feature length extended cut?

Posted by: Will at August 19, 2008 9:53 PM

How about another interesting contest?

Or maybe...we gather enough money from fans and buy Lichtenstein for a day, and we all fly there and party

We could even occupy a whole movie theater and watch movies all day!

What fun! :D

Posted by: Jason at August 20, 2008 2:36 AM

Go to Sicily and drink their incredible vino. If you like smaller islands, go to the Eolians.

Posted by: Paperotta at August 20, 2008 11:14 AM

There is a site/competition of sorts called NanoWriMo. The basic premise is that, in the month of November, participants each write a 50, 000 word novel…

It’s structured to place an emphasis on quantity over quality, in that, writers simply get creative and write their novel without editing as they go. Despite the (lack of) quality in the finished product, the participants end up with either a crappy finished novel or even a workable first draft.

The site is community based and offers loads of support for the writers, and even holds meet-ups in different areas. A friend of mine did it last year, and I plan on it this year.

It is here:

Thought I'd let you all know about it.

Posted by: sam at August 20, 2008 11:26 AM

Well, i for one vote for an essay contest (written or video) of what we all did this summer. Maybe a new video every few weeks Ze? C'mon, we've been good!

Posted by: Rob at August 20, 2008 11:58 AM

I would participate in anything collabrative. With the ORG and the show gone I miss being inspired by others creative ideas

Posted by: paul at August 20, 2008 12:16 PM

Anything with Ze will be fun so let's just do something! Keep us updated with news and stuff. ^^

Posted by: andski at August 20, 2008 1:43 PM

Let's all go on tour with a band together.

Or start a dating service (ze date?)

Or talk about taboo subjects

Or talk about perfectly normal subjects as though they were taboo

Posted by: Seth at August 20, 2008 3:20 PM

Exquisite Corpse Video Storytime. Using the app from http://corp.kaltura.com/ it is relatively simple to upload a video clip and tack it on to the end of the other one. String a lot of them together and you've got one odd, meandering story.

For the adventurous types, try adding a video clip in the middle of two existing clips. So long as it all lines up no one will make a fuss.

Posted by: Awed Job at August 20, 2008 4:21 PM

Let's fall in love :)

Posted by: Ben (again) at August 20, 2008 9:24 PM

you could come over here. ;-)

Posted by: Cheryl at August 21, 2008 12:06 AM

Swing by Austin and wing it, ze. We miss you :(.

Posted by: Michelle Greer at August 21, 2008 12:18 AM

i like the eating cereal idea or reading the paper or celebrating a day just for the fun of it. it's the little things that it's all about, right?

i also like puddle jumping or stomping in them in the rain. it's good to make for a happy day.

whatever it is that y'all choose to do, i hope you have fun doing it.

later-cb

Posted by: cb at August 21, 2008 4:11 PM

pet ponies.

Posted by: alex at August 22, 2008 1:37 AM

we should see other people

Posted by: fred at August 22, 2008 5:07 AM

Here's a game I just made up:

Fore and aft...

1. Someone takes a picture.
2. Next person person picks an object in the BACKGROUND of that picture and makes it the focus of a new picture
3. Repeat as long as we can.

Example:

1. I take a picture of a fire hydrant
2. Jill notices there's a fire hydrant in the background of the picture and takes a picture of the fire hydrant
3. Eric notices there's a plane in the sky in Jill's picture and takes a picture of a plane.

Posted by: Chuck at August 22, 2008 4:00 PM

I would recommend traveling to Cawker City Kansas and visiting the world's largest ball of string.

Posted by: Curtis at August 24, 2008 7:00 PM

Let's write a comic book. But not confined to just pictures and text. We can put in video too! And animation...Let's do it a la Watchmen. Should be easy with all these Sportsracers and their power moves!

Disclaimer: never read comic books until I started reading Watchmen. It's amazing, but really dark. About halfway through.

I've always thought of this site as a kind of hopeful place. So let's make a Watchmen for hope. I have some ideas, but given that this is a community, let's make the plot development communal.

Let's all come up with a story, and then divy up the plot into panels. Then maybe people come up with graphics, videos, and whatever, implementing the story. Then have voting on what works best. Then we have our own online multi-media comic book!

It would build on Stumpy, no?

Posted by: Akumachow at August 24, 2008 10:52 PM

perhaps a winter version of the show?

or maybe like.. 31 days of charity or something altruistic, on film?

Posted by: david at August 25, 2008 11:09 AM

I think we need to write a book, with some contributing a sentence or paragraph at a time, and others contributing illustrations.

Posted by: Meg at August 25, 2008 7:09 PM

48-hour videos. ze announces prompt (always at the same time, same day of the week) and participants have 48 hours to write, shoot, edit and submit it.

alternatively: 48-hour digital art. music, same process.

Posted by: efemmeral at August 25, 2008 8:19 PM

How about we all take a picture at the exact same time all over the world?

Posted by: Chris at August 25, 2008 9:04 PM

lets make films about our lives.

Posted by: Stephope at August 26, 2008 5:02 PM

How about we all figure out just one little change or new thing we can do that will actually make the world a better place?

If we ALL do it, maybe... just maybe.

Or on the other hand, I also like the idea of everyone taking a photo at the exact time thing too. Radar.net (kinda like Twitter but with pictures) might be a great way to post all the pictures at once.

Posted by: Holli at August 27, 2008 1:54 PM

Come visit Japan, and I'll buy you a beer.

Also, Chris's idea.

Posted by: airportwhiskey at August 27, 2008 10:10 PM

Let's make a baby.

Posted by: Rory at August 28, 2008 4:22 AM

I like your site a lot. If you think our comic is funny feel free to link to it!

Posted by: N. King at August 28, 2008 2:46 PM

Come back from vacation soon, Ze! Life is less fun without you

Posted by: Colleen at August 28, 2008 8:31 PM

Perhaps we should suggest new Olympic sports for the next Summer Olympics. Such as: Underwater Basket-weaving, Sounds that attract the most dogs (breeds would have to be selected before competition, of course)...

Posted by: Becky Whitman at August 29, 2008 12:44 AM

I've been an English teacher in Korea, and it seems that is becoming a more and more common destiny for B.A.'s But theres a problem that the materials, even the good material online for English education is all sooooooo artless.

So one thing we could do is all write stories meant to be used for English language learners that attempt to be good stories even though they use limited vocabulary and grammar.

I've give a lot of thought to the idea of comics meant for English Language Learners that are also entertaining. This could be useful enough that it might be inspiring for actual English education in the states. and elsewhere.

Posted by: RamsonAndSon at August 29, 2008 7:28 AM

Human hamster-dance.

Instead of 100 animated gifs, 100 little videos of people doing hamster dance, all on one page.

Posted by: Canton Becker at August 29, 2008 11:07 AM

With the elections around the corner and the stakes being so high, I'd love to see some sort of agripop or commentary from the group and you Ze.

Posted by: Todd at August 29, 2008 2:50 PM

Reading through the veritable hail of SportRacer brainstorm ideas, I'm spotting several consistent themes:

- collaborative work that builds upon itself
- no single medium (ie video, audio, written, stills, etc)
- wishing the The Show would return

I want to talk about that third line a bit. Think about what we love about The Show; daily installments, building relationships, humor, insight, creativity, [insert descriptor of your own favorite characteristics here]. That's what I think we should try to include from #3 above.

So how about rolling all these things into one big snowball of a project? A set number of installments.. maybe something episodic that builds from the last episode (at least tangently). The driving concept here would be the surrealist Exquisite Corpse game. The goal would be to provide a sort of show (maybe mon-wed-fri?) made by various contributors among us.

We could do the all-take-a-picture-at-the-same-time plan, and hand them out randomly as "show topics", or starting points at least. Maybe make the show about relating one set of pictures t the previous episodes pictures..

Posted by: zipl at August 29, 2008 4:34 PM

"Someone make a diagonal run and collect this idea as I pass it forward on the overlapping run.."

i'll go for that

ditto

[[big smily goes here]]

Posted by: Lyn at August 29, 2008 9:01 PM

Why not start a joint tumblr account?
That would be one way to build upon each
others ideas, sort of like the "fiction project"
of old. We know your email address Ze......
(tumbler just requires an email address
and password to log on, hey here's a good one: zipl)

[[Please edit or rewrite as appropriate]]

Posted by: Lyn at August 31, 2008 3:29 PM