« collection of vids to make you feel better | Main | let's try another one »

September 24, 2008

siskel and ebert

Siskel and Ebert talk about who's in charge :: wow! this is pretty wild :: click below to watch

Holy poop! Popcorn flashback! I remember our WTTW Felix & Oscar hating each other intensely back in the day, but I thought it was only because of their movie preferences. My dumb...

Posted by: Paperotta at September 24, 2008 6:19 PM

How had I never seen this? This is blowing my mind. They should have always done the show like this.

Posted by: Anton at September 24, 2008 9:11 PM

Man, these guys hated each other... and pretty much everybody else, too!

Posted by: DmL at September 24, 2008 9:53 PM

Nah, that's just Chicago. I love those cranky SOBs.

Posted by: Sarah at September 25, 2008 1:52 AM

Ugh. Those exchanges are miserably depressing. Siskel and Ebert are like two nerdy middle schoolers trying to one up each other. Imagine being on the crew, watching that pathetic display and knowing you have to laugh along or risk being fired?

Now I have to go a watch about 20 'videos to make me feel better.'

Posted by: DS Bakker at September 25, 2008 8:51 AM

Things I never thought I'd hear in the same video: Gene Siskel "shooting his wad".

Posted by: Spamboy at September 25, 2008 9:57 AM

This is just like dinner time at my house.

Posted by: Rory at September 25, 2008 10:42 AM

They actually seem to like each other. The bit about McDonalds seems like some really good-natured teasing. Ebert is cracking Siskel up.

Posted by: audacity at September 25, 2008 6:31 PM

What do you mean? Clearly they love each other.

Posted by: Karen at September 25, 2008 11:30 PM

wow. this is a pretty fascinating & funny vid! i always watched this show when i was a kid. *favorites*

they didn't hate each other.. you can totally see the love here.

Posted by: c. at September 26, 2008 5:03 AM

"I already shot my wad on the Protestants" he says. Amazing.

Posted by: Danny at September 26, 2008 10:48 AM

BRILLIANT.
i worked at a local news station, and i gotta tell you promos are sometimes the toughest part of the day. i mean, less than thirty seconds of tape takes over an hour to produce? jeez

Posted by: stevo at September 26, 2008 8:05 PM

"Protestants: The people who sort of want a religion." I am inspired to do a slew of those now.

This was adorable. Why do people see hatred there? The only people I can be that way with are the people I love the most and who love me back. You just don't waste that kind of nitpicking and joke making on people you don't care about. Shoot, it was pert near romantic.

Posted by: Boo at September 27, 2008 11:14 PM

I can't believe these two didn't kill each other after that "joking" fight about McDonalds...

Posted by: PhnxIgnition at September 28, 2008 1:30 AM

Wow...I wish I were a Protestant so Gene could have hated me too!

Posted by: Hugh at September 28, 2008 2:58 AM

This is hilarious! I'd seen it before but it's worth seeing every now and again. Some other funny stuff to check out, probably on YouTube: (1) a foul-mouthed Alex Trebek, (2) an insane (or an even more insane) Richard Simmonds and (3) David Letterman pulling a prank on Richard Simmonds. Look 'em up: funny stuff!

Posted by: MJ at October 4, 2008 1:27 PM

The Letterman/Simmons thing: it has to do with a steamer that Simmons is promoting. Pause at 2:05 for a priceless reaction shot.

Posted by: MJ at October 4, 2008 1:40 PM