« a long ass walk :: AfricaTrek | Main | disney and fabuloso friday »

September 22, 2008

superstruct

Jane McGonical and the Institute for the Future are getting ready to launch a new alternate reality game in early october :: preliminary media is starting to come out :: The Superstruct Game :: i urge you to partake in this :: sort of like going to an early jimi hendrix concert...i believe that jane will be a massive force in shaping the future of entertainment/culture

Wow, I'm really impressed. Its very well made and well thought out. I might even consider joining this. Thanks for pointing it out Ze! =D

Posted by: Jaunell at September 22, 2008 9:20 AM

I'm sorry Ze. Normally I love ARGs, but I am very staunchly for free markets, to the point that I consider collectivism to be totally abhorrent.
This game looks very much like it's promulgating the idea that we need new government 'superstructs', to use their word, that will introduce things like socialised medicine.
I live in the UK and can vouch for how terrible an idea socialised medicine is, and if my prediction about the attitude of this game is correct, I shall not be taking part.

Posted by: Rory at September 22, 2008 10:00 AM

This seems a bit more interesting than the corporate-sponsored crap she's been doing. That stuff always came off like a trust fund kid project. No artistry at all and so much money spent on flashy stuff. Hopefully she finds her voice on this one, but it has the smell of yet another promotional vehicle already.

Posted by: yikes at September 22, 2008 1:17 PM

UberClever!!!

Posted by: jeano at September 22, 2008 1:50 PM

Posted by: ARK at September 22, 2008 7:02 PM

ummmm... this isn't really a game. This is from their site:

"In the multiple WorldRun simulation exercises GEAS has performed, the details can vary, but the outcome has been consistent: by the decade between 2040 and 2050, typically closer to the beginning of the period, the combined drivers described here as "superthreats" have driven the global human population to collapse."

The Institute for the Future is a non-profit that does predictive modeling. crazy stuff. let's play!

Posted by: Jesse at September 22, 2008 7:50 PM

I'm looking at it. I sent the link along to a few Eco Team advisor friends too. Wish the vids were also on Teachertube so they could be accessed from schools. Youtube isn't likely to be unblocked any day soon. Thanks for the tip. Will check it out more.

Posted by: boo at September 22, 2008 9:29 PM

my first impression: clever, slick, very disturbing.

Posted by: nader at September 22, 2008 11:36 PM

I signed up... I can't delete my profile, apparently. horrendous design for what is essentialy an ARG in forum-form. very top-down with a distinct socialist flavor. The logo of the fictional institute running the thing is a fractured globe, for crying out loud. I keep expecting to run into some small print on one of the pages saying "paid for by Naomi Klein and Michael Moore"

Posted by: crake at October 10, 2008 8:03 AM