« can i show you something? | Main | if you live in NY...start folding »

October 9, 2008

10,000,000,000,000

BBC NEWS | Business | US debt clock runs out of digits :: need volunteers to hold up a sign with the "1"...

I can't wait for more!

Posted by: Dezann at October 9, 2008 10:44 AM

can't they just use binary?

Posted by: greg at October 9, 2008 11:04 AM

Using binary would take up more digits. If we switch to hexadecimal we could save space for a while. Too bad the Maya didn't take over the world, though. They had a base-20 counting system which would be perfect for making big numbers look smaller.

Posted by: Sein at October 9, 2008 11:42 AM

"How much is the national debt now?"
"A brazillion dollars."
"Since when have the Brazilians used dollars? That's why this country's going to hell in a handbasket. Tell them to give us our money back. That'll fix it!"

Posted by: Sarah at October 9, 2008 1:52 PM

Maybe they should switch to Canadian dollars, buy some more time. Er, _borrow_ some more time...

Posted by: Sam Barnum at October 9, 2008 2:18 PM

Facepalm, to (ab)use an internet expression. Of course, I can't think of anything we really export, and that's not a good sign.

On the other hand, I'd like to see how we drop, as a nation, into complete poverty. I'm betting on looting, but after that, who knows? Like an End-Of-The-World scenario, but locally.

(So, how about that $700,000,000,000 loan to... um.... ourselves?)

Posted by: Blank-Mage at October 9, 2008 4:40 PM

who will trade me a live chicken for 5 bushels of flax?

Posted by: nader at October 9, 2008 8:41 PM

Congress is completely out of control. Didn't you guys see all the earmarks Congress passed just moments before passing the $700B barfout, I mean bailout, bill? They didn't even bat an eyelash and BOTH parties are to blame.

Why can't Congress only spend the money they coerce from our paychecks and stop stealing from the next generation? The rest of us are expected to live within our means--yet Congress can't be bothered.

In DC, Congress is not about solving problems, but it is all about writing checks to look good and make people think you care--nevermind that the "help" Congress is offering is causing more harm than good.

I work on Capitol Hill--and I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate Congress. You would too if you saw these porkers from the inside, behind the curtains.

Posted by: ransom ellis at October 9, 2008 9:08 PM

Aww.. When I saw the title I thought it would be something positive like this: http://www.project10tothe100.com/

Posted by: N at October 9, 2008 10:13 PM

Each citizen of the USA owes about $33,000 thanks the the fiscally responsible federal government and the lack of oversight over the corporate crooks in control of the money.

Considering that the GDP for the United States is about 14 trillion we, as a country, have already spent what we will be earning for the next eight months and three weeks. Payday advance anyone?

Time for change!

Here are a few of my thoughts:
1) Term limits for all elected federal officials.
Time to break up some of the good o' boy politics in congress.
2) Tie the salary of elected federal officials the amount of federal debt.
The more we owe, the less they get paid.
3) Have all elected federal officials share the same social security plan we do.
Watch how fast the social security's problems gets fixed!
4) Require that amendments to bills need to be related to the bill they are amending.
Time to cut the pork once and for all.
5) All bills need to define how they will be funded before they become law.

Any other ideas?

Posted by: Jeff S at October 9, 2008 11:14 PM

We need to liquidate all assets of the plunderers starting and put it toward the debt on the bailout. I'm talking about everything from mansions to silverware to kleenex box cozys. They can start fresh with a fifty dollar Target gift card and a newspaper for the classifieds. I used to say give 'em first and last month's rent on a cheap 2 bedroom apartment, but they just blew that offer.

I'm serious. Why are we letting them keep their stuff?

Posted by: jeano at October 10, 2008 1:43 PM

Sorry to be self-referential, but as Rives says in "4 a.m is the New Midnight," there are no coincidences.

Today, before checking out your blog entry, I wrote a help wanted ad and posted on my blog at http://dennisfreire.blogspot.com/2008/10/home-land-acquisitions-llc.html.

My college history teacher in 1982 made a HUGE hullabaloo about the the national debt reaching $1 Trillion. Mr. Dew, where are you? Help me Mr. Dew!

Posted by: Dennis Freire at October 11, 2008 12:10 AM

Perhaps they could use one of those giant "#1" foam hands that get waved around. Just stick it in front.

"Yeah! We're number ten trillion!"

Posted by: Loonie at November 2, 2008 5:38 PM