« if you live in NY...start folding | Main | Jason Hackenwerth :: balloons »

October 17, 2008

let me introduce you to Matthias Wandel

First play this :: The eyeballing game :: then click below

I was sent a link to the eyeballing game, which i thought was cute. Following the links on the page I found out it was a fanciful side project of a carpenter that was interested in exploring our ability to intuit geometry. His woodworking website led me to a number of wonderful inventions - such as a binary marble adding machine (video at the bottom of this post) and eventually to his home page at which point I was sold. It is such a pleasure to find someone who is Interested in The World and applies his craft at any point of interest! His time-lapse stock trading game is wonderful (the interface is a bit overwhelming, but the game play consists of just buying, moving forward in time and selling, based on real data from various companies in 03) :: very much enjoyed myself on this surfing expedition

I think the stock trading game illustrates exactly what's wrong with the investment community. Instead of focusing on what a company does, they focus on constantly buying and selling and running around like lemmings. What can you tell about a company's future by their stock chart alone?

Posted by: Jemaleddin at October 17, 2008 10:50 AM

I wish I had one of those in first year. Playing with that would've been more polite than the way I was taught to count in binary: http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/generic/6a20/

Posted by: RosemaryL at October 17, 2008 11:22 AM

I have to disagree with Jemaleddin. For long periods of time buy & hold works. But in timeframes under a year there is usually some level of disconnect between the actual company and the price of its stock. You can buy a great company, but if the price is in a downtrend you'll probably lose money for a while.

And yes, there are a lot of undisciplined people with little or no experience thinking they can get rich quick buy trading off charts. But there are also a lot of disciplined, experienced traders who can make money off of charts.

Posted by: darin at October 17, 2008 4:36 PM

fascinating. i'm pretty enthralled by the binary marble adding machine. brilliant work, mr. wandel.

-jay was here!

Posted by: jay aoyama at October 17, 2008 7:28 PM

Coolest binary counting machine ever.

Posted by: Kake at October 17, 2008 8:26 PM

Hey, he has the same last name as me, cool.

Posted by: Nick at October 18, 2008 4:27 AM

Reminded me of the marble-maze board my dad made for us kids. Best toy I ever had!

Posted by: Stephanie at October 18, 2008 4:06 PM

The carpenter is clearly insane!
But that kind of good old fashion insane that creates stuff like the model T or the Mona Lisa.

Impressed? I am.

Posted by: Jesper Bylund at October 20, 2008 7:02 AM

I have seen Matthias's website and it's great unfortunately I cannot e-mail him, which is a shame.
Can you tell if I can contact him?

Posted by: Mike Fisher at October 26, 2008 8:33 PM