« clarity from the nozzle | Main | R.I.P. Miriam Makeba »

November 15, 2008

angrigami

try folding up some anger

The project was a very nice idea, and it is so sad to see the bad responses.

And now you did something even better out of it.

Great idea! You really are something special.

Posted by: Donny at November 15, 2008 11:15 AM

You know, I've read that you're getting some nasty comments becuase of 52to48withlove, but I really didn't comprehend just how nasty they are...(and I'm sure these are just a small sampling of what you've received). Thanks for taking all the abuse so that the rest of us could continue to see the project grow--it's a beautiful one. And your response of making pretty things out of ugly words is really commendable. It takes a strong person not to throw stones...especially when under siege! Keep on keeping on, Ze. You're an inspiration.

Posted by: anonymous girl at November 15, 2008 12:07 PM

Awww, what a great counter-counter-idea. Hugs to you.

Posted by: Kevin Miller at November 15, 2008 12:33 PM

So sad. I truly didn't expect that you'd receive so many angry comments. I'm hoping some of that vitriol will fade once Obama has been in office for a little while.

Great new project though! Good to turn ugly words into beautiful art.

Posted by: Robin at November 15, 2008 3:54 PM

whoa those words are bitter.
Are they all from the same person?

Posted by: Jane at November 15, 2008 8:56 PM

You seem endlessly trying to make things better, make peace, inspire. I really did worry about your spirit after I saw the first project and read about the negative responses. Foolish worry.

I have printed it out, but someone already made cats hats so I will brainstorm something else.

That TED talk by the man, Haidt from the yourmorals.org has been stuck in my head due to its relevance in the election and in the coming days of scarcity. I thought of it and the first project too. How would those who value team loyalty more react? I guess we found out. I am trying to understand the values of those different from me to be able to reach out at work and not fear getting bit. Since parties and bigotry exist even after elections it isn't surprising that teams still divide us. I wonder if we will really have to be bombed back to the stoneage before greater values take hold once again.

You have a wonderful heart Ze Frank. Please keep on keeping on.

I think it is true that when something is repeated enough it gains veracity in the mind. Perhaps those who have fled offers of love for the cold bastions of fear will hear the repeated beats and one day believe the love is real and that they have a place among it.

Posted by: boo at November 15, 2008 10:13 PM

Did you make this idea up, Ze? It's one of the most brilliant things I've ever seen, seriously. Who are you?

Posted by: Shelley Noble at November 16, 2008 12:24 AM

this is a gorgeous idea. Will do, though I am a bad folder.

Posted by: k at November 16, 2008 11:28 AM

Just seeing the comments posted here in reply to the from 52to48 with love project was pretty disheartening. I fought a very strong urge to defend my positions and the left in general so as to keep in the spirit of the project. Seeing some of the hate mail comments makes that even harder, but what I have learned of late is that arguing with people who are that extreme in their views does nothing to change their minds. But if you think that those words express hate, I went out to dinner at a neighborhood restaurant on the Wednesday after the election. When I came out someone had stolen the Obama magnet off of my car AND let the air out of my tire. I wonder if they contemplated what it would be like for me to come out with my two year old child, who was very tired and ready to go home, and have to change a flat tire. Nevertheless, I am resolved to remember that this was the act of one individual and does not speak for all conservatives, or all of my neighbors.

Posted by: Gus at November 16, 2008 5:26 PM

Take THAT, negative emotion! You're PRETTY now!

(But seriously, this is a cool, interesting idea and I can't wait to see the results.)

Posted by: Blank-Mage at November 16, 2008 11:37 PM

I've been appalled at the amount of hate-filled spew coming out. It takes a very creative and strong person to come up with such a sublime respose. I want to believe that sanity will prevail, and people like you, Ze, give me hope!

Posted by: Missy Nadine at November 18, 2008 2:09 AM

The original idea appealed to people who were (for the most part) close enough to the center to seek alliance or reconciliation. That there are people who want to kick the sand castle over is no surprise, really, though it is an unfortunate reality. Perhaps some of the people who actually give their negativity voice in this way will be more quickly cleared of it; perhaps some will live to feel differently then they did when they first wrote those words. Others no doubt will find solace in the community of negativity and strength for their position from their words later on. If we are serious about making the world a better place . . . each of us can do something everyday . . . and every so often, at least several times a year incorporate something new in our routine to make this world better. It doesn't serve anyone to think us vs. them: we are all in it together, and some of us are very angry (which is most likely hiding fear) and acted out here.

Posted by: Robert at November 19, 2008 9:01 AM

So I thought to myself, wait, that's not Cooper Black, and took a closer look... "I Hate Meat"? Did someone type up their shallow idea of a liberal strawman and fold it into an elephant? Really?

They really don't know how this works, do they?

Posted by: Cerulean at November 24, 2008 7:08 PM