« question for you : the American Dream | Main | i'm sorry »

November 3, 2008

"Barack America" : Biden

Mistakes Were Made - The Screwups of Campaign '08 - TIME :: big collection of gaffes :: fun to poke through memory lane

ha, you're a day early, Ze Frank. Fat lady, hasn't sung.

(From Ze: The title is a quote from the Time gaffes piece, not a prediction)

Posted by: Richard Walker at November 3, 2008 11:32 AM

Sorry .. I'm a little on edge :-) It'll be over soon!

Posted by: Richard Walker at November 3, 2008 12:10 PM

Um, gave up at 30 examples since they were running consistently 80% against one side and 20% against the other side. Guess which is which. And for the record, I'm not voting for anyone for President... this kind of thing is one reason why.

(From Ze: I agree - it shows far more Palin/McCain gaffes - but if you are showing a list of boo boos i don't see why the result should be even across the candidates...do you leave some out to be "fair"? And I have no clue what you mean when you say this is an example of why you aren't voting)

Posted by: KayJay at November 3, 2008 1:16 PM

I suppose I'm showing how jaded I am, Ze, that for the first time since I was 17 1/2 I will not cast a vote for President. I'm 45 now. I will vote, in congressional, state and local races and issues, but not for the top spot. I am tired of voting "against" somebody, and my alternatives, such as Barr, do not fulfill my requirement to be "for" someone. You have no idea how this cuts me to the quick... I'm sick over it.

As to the Time piece being an example of why: 1) no, don't leave any out to be "fair"... but "fairness" left this race -- and US politics in general -- with the advent of the printing press, more than likely. But more recently it becomes far too easy -- and remember, I'm not voting for either side but in full disclosure I have been more conservative in the past -- for media bias to become the the overriding third party in this campaign. What gets highlighted becomes water cooler talk and tips the balance of "power" to whomever the media really wants. It isn't a grand conspiracy, it just *is*. This isn't the whole reason, but it's terribly discouraging to those of us who have wanted better. Craved better.

Undecideds aren't either dumb or ignorant; people like me want to believe in their vote. I think this time around they are truly in a situation where they are mad as hell about the whole process and aren't going to take it anymore -- and their protest of choice is not choosing at all.

My two cents.

Posted by: KayJay at November 3, 2008 2:34 PM

Some of these gaffes are hilarious, some of them are very revealing, and some of them are just examples of people being human and goofing up. I'm really happy nobody follows me around and records every word I say. I'm also really happy the election will be over soon. I voted by mail last week and I'm ready to celebrate.

Posted by: Bob at November 3, 2008 3:14 PM

Can I just tell you how tired I am of hearing about this "liberal media bias"? There are easily as many examples of the media having a conservative bias as a liberal bias, which the media likes to tell us makes them centrist. I recently heard a friend mention the New York Times' liberal bias, I guess that doesn't include Judith Miller or any of the coverage leading up to the Iraq war. If we actually had a liberal media they would have done a little real reporting before the Iraq war instead of being war cheerleaders.

Individual reporters likely have liberal biases, because that happens when you actually go out and experience what is happening in the world outside of our comfortable American existence. On the other hand the people who are actually in charge are rich businessmen, who certainly don't want to elect democrats who favor a progressive tax structure and increased regulation.

The basic fact is that the media has a bias towards the bottom line. They want to sell advertising, which means they want to increase their audience numbers and not piss off the advertisers.

Posted by: Gus at November 3, 2008 3:48 PM

I didn't say "liberal media bias" for the record, I did say that there is a bias, and at the moment it swings tremendously toward yes, the Democrat candidate.That I was more conservative in the past has only a little bearing on me in the present -- I'm a libertarian so both sides of the aisle disturb me and no one is really on my side.

Perhaps I should qualify it and say that Big Media loves Big Government, and does all it can to promote that view. The individual gets lost in the shuffle unless that individual is part of a currently preferred group. Nevermind what may in the end be a better outcome for the country overall -- a media source has a bias and by god, that's the one they are going to promote. *shrugs* Their right. My right to be vastly disappointed and to stop believing in fairy tales as passed by starry-eyed fangirls and fanboys that count as journalists nowadays.

Local government is more accountable. The further away one gets from the individual voter the harder it is to have a say.

Not arguing, just clarifying.

Posted by: KayJay at November 3, 2008 6:27 PM