« some ugliness behind borat | Main | does it detract from its value? »

November 19, 2008

bike guitar hero

viral marketing or insane fanboy creation? :: click below ::

It looks a little viral. I think they filmed a bike ride, then filmed the handle bars separate with the blinking and then added the cues on the ground digitally. Looks really well done though.

Are we still resenting viral marketing? I keep losing track.

Posted by: eagleapex at November 19, 2008 11:28 AM

That's dedication.

Posted by: Thomas B at November 19, 2008 11:40 AM

Umm.... whoa.

Posted by: Anton at November 19, 2008 11:47 AM

I say insane fanboy creation. Awesome all the same.

Posted by: Vyaas at November 19, 2008 1:18 PM

That was amazing. That guy is my new (guitar) hero...

Posted by: Kendal at November 19, 2008 1:51 PM

That is just way too good to be fan-made.

Posted by: Jack at November 19, 2008 2:50 PM

I say insane fanboy.

Quite insane :) And quite fun....

Posted by: donny at November 19, 2008 6:32 PM

my vote's for viral marketing

Posted by: Dan at November 19, 2008 10:19 PM

Insane fanboy creation. Only someone crazy could do that... :P

Posted by: Ryguy at November 20, 2008 7:36 AM

I'd say it is viral marketing. At the end when the camera pans around to where the biker came from, the spots are gone. The graphics are quite meticulous up to this point. Someone already pointed this out in the youtube comments, so perhaps it will be taken care and updated before long. Two other things: 1) the post processing technology for this is possible, if your budget is high enough, and not really a stretch. 2) if was done manually, with all that effort (right - ), it doesn't seem plausible for the creators to be shy and remain anonymous. and 3) in the video comments, they say something like, "you don't know how many times it took to do this"... that's no lie. Still, what a good idea and great video.

Posted by: TomC at November 20, 2008 9:57 AM

That... was nuts. Definitely not just a fanboy creation. Good for them.

Posted by: Casey at November 20, 2008 6:31 PM

Pretty clearly viral marketing.

Posted by: Alex at November 20, 2008 7:20 PM

wow... there must've been some serious brainstorming behind this one. how else could such a euphorically unholy combination have ever come together?

-jay was here!

Posted by: jay aoyama at November 20, 2008 7:26 PM

This movie has since been admitted to as made by an add agency. The good people at gamecyte.com have the whole story. But gamecyte poses the question :

"If a company produces a legitimately awesome piece of art in the vein of user generated content, does its less-than-humble origin detract from its value?"

And I'd say the answer is yes. Because part of what makes a video like that great is that it's made by people with limited resources. Once you realize that every person in the video is probably a paid extra, it makes the whole thing less amazing.

Posted by: alan at November 20, 2008 7:30 PM

clearly this is marketing. The bike was always within a few degrees of being perpendicular from the ground even when turning... I don't know about you, but when I turn I have to lean into it atleast a little. This means it is mounted to some kind of motorized vehicle. Also, the jogger and biker didn't seem to be in the least bit curious about a guy wearing a light on his head and camera rolling. Plus he didn't slow down for the car... I might believe that if he looked side to side to see if anyone was coming, but he didn't, he wouldn't follow the car unless he knew he wasn't going to get hit.And there is more, but I'm sure this is enough.

Posted by: bob at November 20, 2008 10:54 PM

It's viral, but that doesn't make it any less awesome.

Posted by: N at November 21, 2008 1:29 AM

it's a lot easier to do something radical
with the deep pockets of an ad budget.

and yes, we hate viral marketing because
viral marketing is still marketing, even as
we admire the cleverness with much of it.
face it, much marketing is just brain-dead.
so we like good stuff. but it's still marketing.

-bowerbird

Posted by: bowerbird at November 21, 2008 2:09 PM

whether or not this was deliberately created to be a viral video, it still rocks... i could not tell at any point that it was fake

Posted by: movie fan at November 21, 2008 11:29 PM

That's a really interesting question, whether it has less value if produced by a company rather than a user or users. Less value to whom -- the company or users? Professionals imitating the standards, motivations or resources of amateurs I think makes it different, but not necessarily of less value. But it seems a little like faking found art. Also, if the misdirection is discovered by users rather than revealed by the marketer, isn't there a backlash to the deception? Clearly, I need more coffee to make a dent in this question.

Posted by: flummox at November 23, 2008 9:22 AM

hi there!
I made with photoshop anime myspace pictures.
have a look at them:

Posted by: TariWassice at November 27, 2008 12:26 AM

It's still entertaining to watch, yes, but it would be so much cooler if it was made by your every day people. It doesn't make a whole lot of difference. I think its just the fact that were so used to seeing something 'real' on the internet v.s. something fake on tv. And when that 'real' isn't actually 'real' we feel cheated.

Posted by: Gabe at November 29, 2008 8:11 PM

real or not I must say they are damned creative to think of this. wayy cool.. but the motion gave me some sickness after watching it.

Posted by: tuning guitar at December 16, 2008 9:49 PM

This doesn't lend much to the greater debate on creativity and viralness and all that, but here's an example of the same style in a music video by the Mountain Goats...

directed by this guy...