« vetting for an obamajob | Main | angrigami »

November 14, 2008

clarity from the nozzle

City builds graffiti wall - sarcastic tagger responds

This is hilarious! Can you believe that the people who erect a "graffiti" wall are then pissed off when someone actually uses it?

Posted by: Glu at November 14, 2008 1:11 PM

I'm stunned that this Sergeant Robin is investigating... it's called graffiti! That was the point of the wall, right?

Holy smokes.

Josh.

Posted by: Josh at November 14, 2008 1:57 PM

""But it is now going to cost the taxpayer, as we will have to crime it, investigate it and paint over it."

Uhhh... think that they're missing something basic about the concept?

Posted by: ingrid at November 14, 2008 2:15 PM

To graffiti on a specially designated graffiti wall is pretty low - during the credit crunch, no less.
But, seriously, Sergeant Moorcroft. Hoping "youth" will limit their graffiti to a single wall isn't the greatest plan ever hatched - especially since they apparently require some sort of permission for it to be legal?

Posted by: Stacey at November 14, 2008 3:51 PM

Mildly amusing but I can't see how this is news. The article quotes people as saying the tag was "ironic". I don't understand this either: a wall was built for the sole purpose of receiving graffiti, and lo and behold, someone painted on it. Again, why is this news?

Unless the point of interest is that building a concrete wall in the middle of a landscaped lot is just stupid. Which it is.

Posted by: ben K at November 14, 2008 3:56 PM

And the cops' reaction is to treat graffiti on their purpose-built graffiti wall as, um, graffiti and investigate it as a crime and then paint over it.

The mind boggles....

Posted by: Claire at November 14, 2008 3:58 PM

Wait, why do they need to paint over it? Isn't that the point of the wall?

Posted by: Mike Webster at November 14, 2008 6:02 PM

The city's treating the vandalism of a wall constructed to be vandalised as a crime... I can understand the city's motive, but it doesn't make the action any less ironic.

Posted by: Simon C. Ion at November 14, 2008 7:10 PM

I think that when they finally get it, The Onion should cover the story. Forgive me for the below. I was playing and it got out of hand.

Wayhomer Finally Arrives

City officials finally understand obvious joke statement on graffiti wall. "I l-o-l ed when I it finally came to me. I think it took so long because there might have been some truth to it. But it's an opinion and a joke too. It made me think." Commented one city official who chose to remain anonymous because he is embarrassed as all get out.

Townspeople seem to have understood that there would be a delay in comprehension about the concept of graffiti and could not resist one last poke. "The writing is on the wall . . . hilarious," said the embarrassed city official in response to the rim shotted quote.

As of the most recent meeting notes, it is still undecided whether or not city council will begin scouting for joke writers with mad tag skills. "We cannot have every Betty in the county spraying 'Lordy, Lordy so-n-so's 40!' We have a higher standard now."

Posted by: boo at November 15, 2008 12:13 AM

The article sounds pretty pissed, considering the guy used the wall for its' intended purpose. Why paint over it?

Posted by: Blank-Mage at November 15, 2008 1:26 AM

Don't waste a penny painting over it. Let others do that work for free. It's a graffiti wall, yo.

Posted by: gypsy sister at November 16, 2008 11:50 AM