« Election Haikus | Main | :) »

November 4, 2008

just voted

i love this day. the synchronicity. my machine was broken so i had to fill out little ovals. nerve racking.

I voted a couple of weeks ago, but the day is electric. I am wearing my decider shirt today.

Posted by: boo at November 4, 2008 11:26 AM

Hope you brought a #2 pencil with you.

Posted by: Ken at November 4, 2008 11:29 AM

Here in Massachusetts, all the ballots are the kind with the little ovals. I like it because it lets me check it again and again, but it's maddening because it lets me check it again and again. Then they take it and put it in a combination scanner/shop-vac where you hope to God it counts your vote. Not that Massachusetts screams "swing state", but still.

Now I have a sticker on my hand that says "I Voted". It will come in handy in a few months when I can cross off "Voted" and write in "Gave Blood". See? Recycling. It's good for the soul.

Posted by: Steve at November 4, 2008 11:35 AM

In my township here in Pennsylvania, we fill out the little ovals. I prefer these paper ballots to purely electronic means--the optimist in me thinks of them as a check against voting fraud and disenfranchisement.

Posted by: Marsha at November 4, 2008 11:53 AM

i like your ee cummings free-verse style.

Posted by: Stephanie at November 4, 2008 11:56 AM

I always get shaky and nervous when I vote. Every time.

Posted by: alex awesome at November 4, 2008 11:57 AM

I'm in Mass. too, and I kinda like filling in the little ovals -- reminds me of the SATs. My hand was shaking so badly with all the excitement; I took a photo of my ballot for my blog and it's pretty blurry!

Posted by: Karen at November 4, 2008 11:58 AM

Hooray! NC has a fill in the bubble chart, too. It worried me though, because I had a pen at my station and I freaked out at a pollster guy, "Don't I need a #2 pencil?!!" But apparently not.

Posted by: Caroline at November 4, 2008 12:20 PM

I was up before the sun. This is rare unless an airplane is involved. I voted with inka-dot by seven fifteen. I've never seen so many at our neighborhood polling place. I got to work early enough to listen to an entire song in my car and visualize the happy Obama victory, the respectful mccain concession. I work at a university. I walked onto campus and there was a marching band practicing, drums tight and loud. Marie Callendars' people were there giving apple pie to people who had their "I voted" sticker on. I shared my pie with my friend. Synchronicity alright!

Posted by: jeano at November 4, 2008 12:42 PM

I am in Florida and filled out the ovals. Don't know what happened to my ballot after I fed it to the scanner/shredder.

Posted by: hooper at November 4, 2008 1:04 PM

I, too, voted on this fine day. They had the crazy machines with the huge buttons. I felt like I was playing with a toddler's toy.

Posted by: ohkatherine at November 4, 2008 1:11 PM

Just voted this morning. I had to draw lines on my ballot. Would have had more fun with ovals.

Loved the turnout this year.

Posted by: Jeremy at November 4, 2008 1:14 PM

voted for, guess who, twice! apparently the machine was hungry and wanted more good stuff. After, I worked the polls. I have to report the line early on wasn't as long as 2004 (that could be a bad sign for McCain), however, the rest of the morning was very quiet, considering... that's not good for Obama.

I can only hope this is a sign that people opted out for absentee and early voting and there will be very long lines tonight.

But you better get out there, go right now, especially you swing states, GO VOTE!

Posted by: nader at November 4, 2008 2:02 PM

I was thinking of hanging up a "Mission Accomplished" banner in front of my house if the Democrats get 60 votes in the Senate.

Posted by: David W. at November 4, 2008 3:16 PM

Over HERE in MA, you connect lines. I had to stare and stare at my ballot to be sure I filled it in right.

Posted by: Carrie at November 4, 2008 3:33 PM

Voted on Friday via oval bubble ballots. Holy Schinkies... I live in a wee town and I stood in line for 45 mins to get to one of the 20 voting stations. Had to hide my Republicans for Obama shirt though. No Electionering within 100 ft of the building. I love voting. Its so... civic duty. I also love the part where they call your name and say "So in So has voted!" and everyone cheers.

Posted by: DeckRoid at November 4, 2008 3:46 PM

I'm in Mass - I found out today that not all towns here fill in the circles - Some towns have to "complete the arrow" that points to their choice. It's an arrow with the middle missing, and you have to fill it in. Like a coloring book.
I took a photo of my ballot as well. With my phone. You can barely tell what it is, but I'll know, and that's what's important. :)

Posted by: Lesley at November 4, 2008 9:06 PM

I'm a sophomore in high school, so I'm not old enough to vote. Yesterday and today were also auditions for my school's production of Les Miserables... it's interesting... now that they're over, I have no control over what the results will be... so I have two things that matter to me that I have no control over, and I have to just wait and see what happens.

Posted by: the nick lad at November 4, 2008 10:01 PM

Being a Utah voter I'm just glad to see someone I voted for win!

Posted by: Dave K at November 4, 2008 11:38 PM