« thanksgiving | Main | munchkin cats »

November 21, 2008

tavi

Tavi - the 12 year-old fashion blogger :: stunningly good at the medium... :: also, Tavi G's videos :: I will say that if this is some weird viral H&M marketing scheme, I will be very angry.

Yep, I agree. Seems to have a real understanding of how to write that kind of content, a great punchy flow, and a strong focus. Man, I wish I was 12.

Posted by: Louis Simoneau at November 21, 2008 2:44 PM

that makes me want to have a kid... scary.

Posted by: brent at November 21, 2008 2:57 PM

On the internet, no one knows you're a dog, or a 38-year-old man, or ... you get the idea.

(From Ze: Says the dog. She has been confirmed as real in every way - and is appearing in a couple fashion mags this month)

Posted by: Keith at November 21, 2008 9:42 PM

there are three things I particularly hate kids, animals, and women with attitudes

Posted by: spike at November 22, 2008 1:49 PM

What a precocious kid, she could be this years poster child for precocious. But is she real? Which ties in nicely with the blurry lines created in the guitar hero post. We want to believe, but can we believe? Judgment is suspended.

There’s no doubt the child is bright and embraces all the characteristic of being protected, sheltered and surrounded by adults, the qualities of a European fairy tale from days gone by, but with an obsession that seems to embrace a controlled sense of neuroticism, at least for most American 12 year olds. There is a level of sophistication to this work that screams adults in the background.

Of course there is no way of knowing at this point if she is being used, created, or highly encouraged, but if and when she becomes board of the whole thing, as 12 year olds often do, will she be allowed to move on and continue her childhood?

When is comes to the exploitation of kids on the net I’m fairly conservative, in my opinion they should be dressed well and outside playing, not in front of a computer.

We’ve seen the age level of popularity drop on the net over the past decade, from the mature technical savvy folks over 30, to the geeky 20somethings, the socially awkward teens, and now the end of innocence known as the tweens. I expect the next group will be the niners doing amazing stunts and soon to follow six year olds with their own live broadcasts. It’s a slippery slop and in my opinion not particularly healthy.

Posted by: nader at November 23, 2008 2:54 PM

After just glancing over the blog once with your remarks about the possibility of it being viral marketing fresh in my mind, it reminds me of Marla Olmstead, the subject of the documentary My Kid Could Paint That. She was a child praised for her very mature artwork, but then the validity of it being her work was questioned.

Posted by: Daniel at November 23, 2008 5:49 PM

From a father's point of view, I find it scary that a twelve year old girl has such a strong web presence. There are just too many weirdos out there.

Posted by: Gus at November 24, 2008 10:42 PM

If my sweet child of 12, male or female, spent this much time caring about and blathering on about fashion.... about the most stupid materialistic pretentious bs contemplation-of-one's-navel frothy buying-what-marketing-sells, most nepotistic industry, name-droppy crapola.......well if I had two nickels to rub together I would send her delusional little butt for a trip to a 'third world' country to get a grip on basic realities of other people's struggles to exist, ...asap!

This is not cute. it is as awful as Jon Benet Ramsey [tho not as forced] or as any turbo disney child star industry. She is a smart kid, writes, poetry even, and this is what she is devoting her hours of brain and art to????

not that anime or modern art are any less masterbatory, but damn, at 12 you should be cultivating all that natural compassion and ethics in your kids, not the shallow vanity of fashion for gods sake.....

grrrrrrrrrr....sorry but this just irked me.

in a similar vein: one of the best books on teen girls I've come across [in a thrift store no less!] is a british novel set in 1999 called "BE NICE" . It is a re-telling of Lord of the Flies , but with 12 to 17 year old girls.
dark, realistic, and amazing!

Posted by: ef at November 25, 2008 1:24 AM

there are some kids this smart and verbal all over the place.
the difference is that they are writing fan fiction and focusing it all on 'kid stuff' or sports or dance or even the tried and true refuge for the prematurely charming: theatre.
and very rarely does any outside entity try to make $ from exploiting their 'fandom'.
Fashion is totally unapologetically superficial.
and transient. and unrealistic and sexist.
there are nicer ways to say that but it's a given.
A girl this young will be drawn to the art of it but one who is emulating all that is sad.

Assuming this is even real at all [i doubt it is] i think the real question is: who benefits? and for how long?

ok: so what happens IF [or even when] these possibilities crop up?..........
...she gets some bad skin or an eating disorder ?
...she gains some real female weight or her bodytype starts revving past the 'gamine' look she is obviously so invested in ?
...she realizes there are many adults and maybe even kids who have seen her 'work' and are NOT sympathetic to any of it....
...she realizes there are smarter prettier 12 year olds that are taking her formula and running with it?
...she gets injured/ill and isnt so perky/consumerist for awhile? can't follow through on high expectations
...she gets a car and some bad girlfriends and bad habits?
...she gets a boyfriend with an opposing sense of fashion/style?
These are all things she should be able to work through OUT of the public eye.

and wow will it be creepy if she never ages...a perfect fashion puppet in the preteen body that it fetishizes.
If only she could maintain the same proportions and be 6 ft tall....

the big question is: where are this kid's parent's?
who in the hell can afford 'classic' or even semi couture clothing for a growing child? they let her spend $ on this???
what are their values?
what shred of internet safety are they providing her?
are they too old or too young? or making $ off of this new commodity?
i'd love to know.....

we are teaching pre-teens this:
if you are cute and worthy enough to get famous, then all those scary things we told you would happen if you showed yourself online too much, they go away......especially if whatever you do to get all that attention makes some of us money, then it is ok, and more important than your safety or feelings, or rights as a child.
those kids who get abducted? or screwed up? you are beyond that....fame fixes it all. you are worth more now than you were before...so dont stop!!!!

Posted by: painteress at November 25, 2008 9:17 PM

I hope everything works out well for her. I hope she grows into a balanced and successful woman. I do hope her infectious enthusiasm for fashion is based on her passion alone and not unlived dreams of the parents. I would like her to apprentice with Rei Kawakubo after she's done her formal schooling! Her rap made my day...."Rei Kawakubo.....H+MMMM!" This kid is close to my polar opposite: I am from the woods and fashion to me is civilization taken to the level of absurdity. But power to her.

Posted by: M.J. at November 30, 2008 8:57 AM

i watched the videos and was impressed with her presence. she is too good at being grown-up *and* a little girl to be a fake; someone noted above that she checks out.

i am delighted that she's doing this, and admire her sense of style, already far beyond my own. i disagree with the posters above about 'wasting' herself on fashion, for the following reasons:

1. a sense of aesthetics is universal. she has applied hers to fashion, but the things she's studying about harmony and contrast, textile and texture are broadly applicable and will serve her well. just because she's looking at fashion through the eyes of a little girl now doesn't mean she will forever, in fact:

2. if you note the way that she takes garments and reworks them (sharpie-ing a pair of shoes to change their color, for example) you'll see that she's very involved in shaping things around her to match her own personal vision. if she were simply going on&on about fashions at the gap or american eagle, your belittling might be fair. but she's not, and it's not.

3. she is already refining her sense of identity, and improving her nascent writing talent by posting regularly. as ze mentioned, she's frighteningly good at it already. i hope she continues.

4. she reminds me of (a younger version of) my sisters, who are wonderful, grounded people who love to make things. one of them runs a theatrical costume shop and makes garments all day; the way my sister and the way this girl look at things seem very similar.

-PL-

Posted by: phil at November 30, 2008 9:56 PM

I think she's got some skillz.

Posted by: Will at December 2, 2008 2:45 PM

Spike, this comment is for you, I wish you would die.

Posted by: Montse at December 16, 2008 11:21 AM

still not convinced, for many reasons
if she is really a 12 year old writing and posting all her own stuff: she's amazing
something tells me there is more than just her behind this

i'm really hoping she's legit & that the next generation consists of more like her... i wonder what my 12 year old self would have looked like online? 23 years ago - yikes!

Posted by: kd at January 6, 2009 8:38 AM

I was recently (a few minutes ago/now) talking with a friend from high school when the subject of Tavi arose, to which she informed me that Tavi is real, because she is actually the little sister of someone I went to high school with. Just happy to announce that it isn't a clever marketing ploy, Tavi lives.

Posted by: Andy H. at January 24, 2009 8:48 PM