« till the new year | Main | label the world »

if you have an iPod

here are ipod ready episodes of the show in m4v format ::

:: Episodes 051-100 ($5)

:: Episodes 101-150 ($5)

:: Episodes 151-206 ($5)

:: Episodes 206-233 ($5)

Ze, how do you pronounce it? Is it "drop-ee-oh" or "drop-eye-oh" or "drop-dot-eye-oh" ???

This has bothered me ever since I read about the service.

Posted by: Jason E. at December 17, 2008 9:24 PM

Exciting! The UI is a little gimmicky but it works.

I'd like to know how many Sports Racers DON'T have an iPod.

Posted by: Kevin Miller at December 17, 2008 9:47 PM

Fantastic! The download was very fast and the file seems perfect so far. From a user friendliness perspective, it's pretty great. The only complaint I'd raise is very small... the ordering of episodes 1-9 is off, but seems like it would be fixed by adding a 0 before the single digit episodes.

Thanks so much for posting these. I was just reminiscing with a friend about the show, and it'll be nice to watch my favorites again.

Posted by: Em at December 17, 2008 9:53 PM

GOD BLESS ZE!!! YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW LONG I HAVE WAITED TO BE ABLE TO DOWNLOAD THESE W/ YOUR PERMISSION (i assume it is) PS the sight is great the ease of use is fine and the download speeds aren't half bad. Put them behind the paywall if you want i would be more that happy to pay throught the nose for all the hard work and determination everyone and yourself put into the show.

Posted by: Ada, at December 17, 2008 10:00 PM

very nice, easy to use, it's got everything - I like it! but I've seen these already.

Posted by: nader at December 17, 2008 10:22 PM

Hey Ze,

can we / i make a .torrent for these first 49? If you don't want us to, I won't, but I'd rather be able to share them all at once.

Posted by: Daniel Nicolas at December 17, 2008 10:23 PM

I dig it.. although I like this view better (http://drop.io/zefrank_media_1#thumbnail/sort_by_date/order_by_asc/276).. and you should customize the look of your drop so it doesn't look like every other.

Posted by: Chris at December 17, 2008 11:26 PM

Hey ze,

the thing works well, even if:
- the full zip shows as 0 bytes
- double clicking on websites is bad UI design
- once you are in a show getting back to the list is not intuitive (unless you use the bak button of the browser, duh)

I wonder why you chose them, rather than Blip.tv, or Archive.org, for example. (The first cross posts to the second actually...)

David

Posted by: David Orban at December 18, 2008 12:05 AM

Thanks for making all these episodes available! I downloaded a few, and now I am waiting for the ginormous zip file to download.

Now I am sad, remembering how awesome the show was and knowing that it's gone. When will you do a new show?

Posted by: Michael at December 18, 2008 1:04 AM

Posted by: DerekJK at December 18, 2008 1:05 AM

I had no problems with the site. Thanks for putting them up and letting us know.

Posted by: Autumn at December 18, 2008 1:06 AM

Woot! Thanks so much!

I think you're the one who first made me aware of drop.io and I've been using it a lot ever since.
Thanks

Posted by: James at December 18, 2008 1:17 AM

I miss the show. It's great to be able to grab a few of my favorites for my ipod.

Posted by: John Post at December 18, 2008 1:43 AM

Ease of download - 9
(much easier than when I used to download each show and convert the file to put on my iphone..)
Sequential organization - 5
(1,10,11,12......19, 2, 20, 21, 22......)
But that's not to be taken as a complaint. I am grateful to have you sharing your the frontal gyri. (pl.?)

Posted by: Howard at December 18, 2008 2:56 AM

I am able to download individual eps just fine (not terribly fast, but my connection is never that fast, so I can't say it' s because of drop.io), but attemtping to download all eps just sends me to an xml page with an error. To wit:
NoSuchKey
The specified key does not exist.
If you're not able to duplicate the problem let me know and I'll send you a screenshot or something.

Posted by: lala at December 18, 2008 3:42 AM

Thanks for uploading these! Seem to work pretty well Ze, but the 'All files' link at the top doesn't work.

Posted by: Arfon at December 18, 2008 4:44 AM

I love drop.io -- I think it's one of the most overlooked startups. Especially the handling of media (audio, video, pdf, ..) and the collaborative aspects.
Also great: options like zip and download all files…
Not too jazzed about the quality vs. filesize aspect of m4v (what's the point of m4v instead of mp4 anyway? - in most cases simple renaming seems to do the same or a better job)

Posted by: Kryz at December 18, 2008 5:47 AM

Paywall? Like, we'd have to pay to download? Or you'd have to pay to store?

Posted by: Jack at December 18, 2008 7:02 AM

(Hey, it's like the blog entry is talking right to me...)

Seems pretty easy to me. For some reason the zip file doesn't want to work though... if you could get that working in the future that would be EVEN BETTER.

Posted by: rmcw at December 18, 2008 8:36 AM

But wait - oh no, what happened to 42? Are we still searching for the answer?

Posted by: rmcw at December 18, 2008 9:15 AM

LOVE it, don't make the cost too much though :)

Posted by: Keith at December 18, 2008 10:46 AM

I've had drop.io for about a year... works great!

Posted by: Greg at December 18, 2008 11:29 AM

Got it! Love it! So when will the rest be coming?

I found that if you click "view" on the zip, you can then download it from there, but that was the only hiccup, aside from the fact that drop.io seems to downloading at a respectable, though not stellar rate.

Posted by: Jock at December 18, 2008 12:09 PM

Is this already a pay service? I was able to get a couple of episodes last night, but now drop.io says I'll have to buy access if I want more.

(From Ze: Yeah - I'm testing out the paywall functionality)

Posted by: Tom Harrington at December 18, 2008 12:14 PM

As a drop.io developer, many thanks for the feedback. Sports racers sure know how to give constructive criticism. :)

We're looking into the archive issue. The archiving system we have in place currently works better with smaller drops, so this is a good stress test. Thanks for being patient with it.

I was a little nervous to read the comments here. I was prepared for a bunch of people asking, "How do you work this thing?" Glad it's working well for everyone.

Posted by: Peter Jaros at December 18, 2008 12:35 PM

Awesome, I was hoping you would do something like this. The site is good, but I had the same problem as "lala" (I can't downlad the zip) Ah well, since I am on holidays I will do them one by one :)

Also, ep 42 seems t be missing but I checked which one that is and the one numbered 41 and the one numbered 44 should be in sequence right next to each other.. this makes my brain hurt. Since there are only supposed to be 49 and there is a number 50, I will assume that they are all there, just numbered weird.

Posted by: Annabelle at December 18, 2008 2:12 PM

What might be great, if you're feeling ambitious, would be the addition of a one-line encapsulation under each episode, to make it easier for those among us who are a little broke to pick and choose their favorites.

(From Ze: right now there is a flat fee for access to the entire grouping... not on a per download basis - so adding text wouldn't help all that much. However - I could try and make a "favorite episodes pack" - if you guys told me 40 fav episodes. I could also provide a quick link to the wiki transcriptions so that people could see what they were D/Ling)

Posted by: Lorin O. at December 18, 2008 2:48 PM

It's pronounced "Drop-E-O" as shown on the video demo.

I now realize io is the domain. It's for the British Indian Ocean Territory. I tried buying the name "eie.io", but someone already beat me to it.

Posted by: David W. at December 19, 2008 12:38 AM

i would like 49 NEW episodes of the show

Posted by: me at December 19, 2008 12:28 PM

Ze,

I work for drop.io and just wanted to say that the .zip issue is no more.

Thanks,
Peter Frasca
drop.io

Posted by: Peter Frasca at December 22, 2008 12:42 PM

Wow,

That's great!

To Avoid the Download All issue first click on "view" then you can download the zip file.

Posted by: tulek at December 30, 2008 11:40 AM

Works, but I've gotten spammed with, like, 80 copies of my password email. Otherwise, it's great, and I'm so very appreciative of being able to download the episodes and support your work.

Posted by: Robert at December 31, 2008 12:27 AM

thx. would be cool if you posted a link on the show page. hopefully you will drop the rest of them soon. i like to give you money.

Posted by: james at January 16, 2009 5:30 PM