« want to try something hard? voice drawing.... | Main | CNN...ohhh...CNN »

January 28, 2009

voice draw update

updated version of the voice drawing app :: a little bit easier to manipulate, but still quite difficult. A couple images I made below :: I was able to get a bit more representational with this version...are you having any luck?

UPDATE :: David wrote:
"Could the speed slightly increase as you reach mid-level volumes, and fall off towards the extremes?"
:: this version had a slight increase in speed for straight lines, but I agree it is not enough. Here is a version that is more pronounced (based on an exponential relationship) - the effect is that a straight line moves considerably faster. As you begin to curve it slows down gradually at first, then with increased deceleration as it approaches the tightest, slowest turns (when you are either very loud or very quiet)

can someone give me a little advice? I've told the flash player to allow access, but it still seems like it's not turning on my mic. I went to Dubi's whistle/draw link and was able to get that to work, so my mic is functioning.

Does anyone with more comp knowlege have any suggestions?

leeisenhauer@gmail.com <-- I can trust you guys, right? ;)

Posted by: Lolli at January 28, 2009 1:46 AM

i think it would be more manipulatable if it responded to frequency... Break up the normal human range into three section for direction.... plus it would make it less awkward to use in the office as you can reach a wide frequency range without disturbing the office next to you. but turning with volume is a little harder to be discreet with.

(From Ze: it is true. it would also be easier to make my coffee in the morning if I had a robot named Dan. But alas I do not, and I am left to make it all by myself. To use eq requires a platform that can do FFTs on the fly. Flash only captures amplitude. Processing could work, but that would be a different project. I gave myself a simple challenge here...to try and create a drawing app that worked with volume alone. In the process I am exploring the aesthetics of that relationship - and it is not as simple as dividing into three... as I understand it more I will think about extending out to EQ. But it is never the technology that matters. That much I know )

Posted by: fopah at January 28, 2009 3:10 AM

I played the first three tracks off The Parlor Mob's And You Were A Crow using the updated version, here's the result:

Posted by: kevin. at January 28, 2009 4:05 AM

I found it much easier to draw straight lines with this version. I did find myself wishing the line moved a bit faster when I was drawing straights. But the turning circle at the extremes is just right.

Posted by: David M at January 28, 2009 7:58 AM

I went and allowed music to draw using the app. This page is the results.

Posted by: Kyle A at January 28, 2009 11:20 AM

We made a game sort of like this, where three players had to coordinate their voices to get through a maze. We found that unless they were trained singers, people had a lot of difficulty with controlling frequency. Volume was much easier.

A later version was played in a darkened theater via cell phone: anyone sitting in the theater could call in to play. This partially ameliorated the nervousness people felt about singing in front of a room full of people.

Posted by: Ryan at January 28, 2009 12:16 PM

I found the app challenging to use (artistically that is, technically no problem).

But I must commend you on the drawings, very pretty and whimsical! I especially like the dancing man (kung-fu?).

Posted by: Trey Jackson at January 28, 2009 12:31 PM

Are you going to make this into an iPhone app or not?

Your never ending trail of "How not to make money properly" flash apps is cute and all but it's not 1999 any more.

Viral is always more fun when there's dollars behind it.

100,000 sales at two bucks a pop might get your a bit farther in life than yet another two sentence blurb at kottke.org pointing to yet another typo-written flash app.

(hi erik!)

Posted by: victor at January 28, 2009 5:19 PM

I'm sure it's easier said by me than done, but adding a change of color based on pitch would be visually interesting, particularly for those running songs through this.

Posted by: scotteo at January 29, 2009 4:51 PM

Is not work on my old microphone :(

Posted by: Nitrol at January 30, 2009 12:49 PM

Shiznoli. You are one talented mo-fo. Not only do you create the thing, but you can use it and make a drawing better than most people could do with their hands :D
I'm gonna hold out for the version that includes pitch control - and then I'll sing "Un bel di" and we'll see what comes out. :)

Posted by: Marianne at January 30, 2009 11:52 PM

hi do you give out copies of your voice drawing program? i'd really like to have a try at it thanks

Posted by: Rap at February 2, 2009 4:06 PM

Let's say we want to exponentially increase the nerditude of this program. Grab your nearest linguist and riddle me this:

You could turn this into a fascinating language experiment by having it respond to formant frequencies. How conscious can a human be of her F1, F2, F3? Dang, that's so many extra dimensions! Say your vowels and paint the rainbow.

Synesthesia at its finest?

Posted by: ania at February 2, 2009 8:00 PM

i plugged in my head phones, and played some of your songs off itunes, like "stinky nipples" and just moved the headphones closer or further from the mic, and got some really good control, but i agree with a lot of these people that sometimes it moves to slow... but i also think it curves to sharply, to quickly. so it's hard to draw with, but then again i can't draw worth a damn, and difficulty is half the point isn't it?

Posted by: not me at February 5, 2009 9:36 PM

Oh very nice. I like this one a lot :)

Posted by: Alice at February 18, 2009 11:29 AM

I wasn't able to get it to work it asked for access to my mike but didn't do anything. I have a logitech camera/mike combo any ideas.

Posted by: Lleugh at February 18, 2009 8:44 PM

I would love to see this with pitch frequency

Posted by: Chris Guyon at May 26, 2009 9:04 PM