« modular robots | Main | spilled coffee all over my laptop »

January 30, 2009

walmart takes america

a visualization

I wonder how this expansion correlates with obesity rates:

Posted by: Thor at January 30, 2009 6:02 PM

Looks sort of like an infectious disease pandemic!
Only mass quarantine can save us now... oops too late.

Posted by: Richard Walker at January 30, 2009 6:54 PM

Yipe!

All that profusion without my purchasing even an iota!

Posted by: jeano at January 30, 2009 7:47 PM

That's awesome - quite a contrast to this Layoff Tracker on Google maps - http://www.mibazaar.com/forbes/layoffs.html

Posted by: Martin at January 30, 2009 8:14 PM

Give a little to much perspective!!

Posted by: Zach at January 31, 2009 2:06 PM

my sister used to live in a sort of rural
small town/suburb of Tulsa
1. walmart came in
2. all the people who owned stores on main street went broke and closed there shops
3. everyone moved away because it was
not a desirable place (no center) or because they were to broke to pay their mortgage (see #2 above)
4. walmart closed and is now completely covered with graffiti
there is trash all over what was the parking lot
*not really sure what is there now...but in 1990 it was like this

Posted by: Lynne at January 31, 2009 6:50 PM

gross.

Posted by: Cherish at February 1, 2009 12:16 AM

that's almost disgusting.

Posted by: Cherish at February 1, 2009 12:24 AM

This puts the Walmart sensation into perspective. I have never liked shopping there so, I don't. To my nose, all conglomomart stores smell the same.
A peculiar melange of odors consisting of old hot dogs, kiddie puke, persperation and, cheap perfumed soap with a hint of plastic aroma from a local manufacturing facility.
That combined with the fact that they treat workers as wage slaves.
Will it ever implode?
A good piece of work.

Posted by: Curtis at February 1, 2009 7:36 AM

Wow, that was really interesting to watch.

Posted by: Wight at February 1, 2009 6:51 PM

Pretty cool illustration, but it's deceiving. The first few years go by at a much slower pace than 1990-2007. So while wal-mart is acquiring more and more stores, they're also speeding up the years which creates an even more dramatic effect.

Fucking tricksters.

Posted by: Josh T at February 2, 2009 12:03 AM

I love how the dots are the same color as the toxic algae which had to be removed from the ocean near Beijing before the Olympic yacht events could be held... I assume you chose the fungusy color intentionally...

Posted by: Catherine at February 3, 2009 4:12 PM

It is disgusting, isn't it? I shop there sometimes, though. Like today: I needed a bird feeder so I bought one there. The manufacturer of said birdhouse seems like an eco-friendly company. Also, in the toy section I discovered a pile of 'Indiana Jones' action figures at 75% off so I cleaned out the whole shelf! I am ostensibly a 35 year-old-man but I couldn't resist.

Posted by: Michael at February 4, 2009 5:36 PM

just plain scary

Posted by: lucy at February 4, 2009 5:52 PM

The Flash movie is loading, perhaps that's the illusion of speeding, Josh mentioned. It's not sped up on purpose. Each year is approximately a second. Perhaps a more powerful cpu would help to view it properly.

Posted by: Matt at February 4, 2009 9:58 PM

Now we just need to see the same thing... With Starbucks.

Posted by: Gordon at February 5, 2009 4:25 PM

This is only in the lower 48. What about elsewhere?

Posted by: Anwar at February 6, 2009 11:15 AM

Your imaginative use of new tools on the internet never ceases to impress. No one has heretofore been quite as successful in depicting Walmart as a sort of pestilence.

Of course, you could use this tool to paint anything as pestilence. I hope the CDC takes your lead.

Where on earth did you get the data? Could you do the same thing with, say, condom sales? There would be one very interesting effect right around 1982.

Posted by: Payam at February 6, 2009 2:03 PM

I beg your pardon. I've gotten used to assuming that you make ever flash piece that goes through the site. lol

Hmm.... I still wonder where the data comes from.

Posted by: Payam at February 6, 2009 3:03 PM

For every dot there goes a small town like mine, much like the above poster, where it drove out the shops on main street, then the town around it died with it. Combine this with the fact they force their vendors (yes, literally, force, I knew a couple) to either offshore their work to shops in China, a system which they set up to make cheaper goods, or you don't get a contract, this map illustrates why Wallyworld is a pestilence on the US, if not the world.

Posted by: Colin at February 9, 2009 7:24 AM