« encyclopedias | Main | Microsoft Songsmith Remixes »

January 21, 2009

We're all Gonna Die

'We're All Gonna Die - 100 meters of existence' :: navigation is a bit wonky and the title seems like an afterthought, but there is something in capturing people unaware. A bit like MethodIzaz.com, but less stalkerish creepy...

Thank you for using the word "wonky." Its use makes me smile.

I love the idea and the photos.

Posted by: Jeremy at January 21, 2009 10:16 AM

I really thought this was cool. Well done. I tried to do give a similar message with my own site, but perhaps could have been more direct.

Posted by: Nicholas Quixote at January 21, 2009 10:19 AM

this photo is amazing! very artistic, and some of the ppl are interesting to look at....:)

(very cool)

-Rawra

Posted by: aRAWRa at January 21, 2009 11:32 AM

Clearly I'm missing the point. Is the point that diverse groups walk over the same bridge? Is the point that we are all mortal? Cuz to me it just seems like photos of random people. You can do that in any metropolitan city.

(From Ze: agreed that the title seems like an intellectual afterthought, and that it would be possible to create this from any well traveled point on the earth. Nevertheless the photo is quite beautiful - especially because makes unaware people the subject of the photo - much like http://www.methodizaz.com/, but less creepy)

Posted by: alan at January 21, 2009 12:14 PM

I really want to know the old couple with eyepatches' story.

Posted by: Valerie at January 21, 2009 12:30 PM

That's marvelous.

Posted by: Rubrick at January 21, 2009 2:24 PM

my favorites are the older couple with eye patches and the mom with a stroller wearing a purple skull & crossbones t-shirt.

Posted by: Jesse at January 21, 2009 5:49 PM

Just rehashing through theshow... the leg of relay in the humanbaton race... after a random remembrance, based on a conversation about Ray's song... and a bad day at work. I do still hum it on occasion.

It's weird how people affect other people's lives.

Posted by: Kate at January 21, 2009 8:23 PM

Erm, the guy flipping off the camera would, I think, have some arguments against the veracity of just how candid this photograph is.

Posted by: Prairie Dog at January 21, 2009 8:45 PM

With the guy on the on the bike looking at the camera, to the guy giving the camera the bird... Not totally unaware people were snagged.

Posted by: Gordon at January 21, 2009 8:46 PM

Not to be snarky but it was kind of like "virtually-all white people in fairly hip cotton clothing are going to die." It did not look like much of a cross-section of anything to me; it looked posed. About 2 people of color out of the whole bunch; a couple of people with eye bandages; mostly youngish folks with a few people in their 50's thrown in; but most everyone looked like they had put thought into what they wore; not what you see on a city block in most places. Or was this the point - that even if you put thought into your appearance....

Posted by: Karen Kohlhaas at January 21, 2009 11:00 PM

I love it.
Apart from looking for myself and friends (no luck), it is such an accurate representation of the Berlin community.

Posted by: Kim at January 22, 2009 5:54 AM

I think the thing that struck me is that these people were caught in attitudes that are so different from what I notice when I watch people - hard to put into words. And the people are so interesting!

I think it would be an amazing project, if one had the resources, to do just what alan alluded to - creating a string of photos such as this, but from places all over the world. Perhaps that would be more meaningful? I did find myself wishing that it continued... something collaborative, maybe...? It would be very hard to coordinate, I guess. Anyway - thanks for posting this, dear Ze. :)

Posted by: Marianne at January 22, 2009 7:03 PM

There's not much to it. What's it suppose to be saying? The background is white, giving all the focus to the oblivious passersby, and only a small percentage of the portraits convey a mood.

It all seemed random without any artistic intention, and did not have the feel of photojournalism. So ... why do I care?

*shrug*

Art is confusing.

Posted by: grimeden at January 23, 2009 1:28 AM

Regarding eye-patch couple.
"How was your day honey?
Woah, what happened? Are you OK? How did you do that?
No! Seriously? There's no way that could...you mean you just...
Ow! crap. Ow! Holy #%*! Ahhhh.

Posted by: Jonathan at May 27, 2009 11:02 AM