« daichi | Main | Philips Carousel Commercial »

April 23, 2009

fox anchor shep smith

comes out swinging against torture :: click below to watch ::

also :: uncensored clip where shep gets serious...

well that was weird to hear... maybe those guys are good for something :P
after all, what fox news is really after is sensationalism. nothing but that. they could just as well go the other way and report things that actually matter and the report the truth about some politcial bullshit that's been going on. that's sensational enough.

Posted by: hm at April 23, 2009 2:14 PM

Torture has also been proven ineffective. People who don't know answers, as well as people who know answers, are more likely to give false information than they are to give real information. Not enough psychologists (and neuroscientists) were involved in interrogations. I think of it as part of the Bush administration's ignorance to science, but whatever the motivation, the results were horrible in every respect.

Posted by: Jordon at April 23, 2009 2:59 PM

Cliff May decide it is torture if they try it on him!

Posted by: jeano at April 23, 2009 8:33 PM

Sweet. Something from Fox News I can agree with. It would be nice to find more common ground and maybe one day some of that ground will include less darkness too.

Posted by: boo at April 23, 2009 11:13 PM

Wait...I'm confused.

I'm glad they are actually defining torture now and are against it, but weren't they trying to kinda sorta say it wasn't torture during the Bush administration...or that they were not using it? Or am I wrong?

Also, Cliff May could barely get his voice above the Fox Contributor...I still see stuff exposed from Outfoxed being used, even in this video!

Posted by: Jason at April 25, 2009 2:07 AM

I agree that torture is not something we should condone as a nation. ...and even though I agree with Shep, I still think he conducts interviews like a rude ass.

Posted by: JP at April 26, 2009 12:30 AM

It's not torture, but yes, he does come out swinging.

Posted by: ransom ellis at April 26, 2009 11:51 PM

I'm torn. On one hand, I'm glad there's another voice (a conservative, Fox News voice for that matter) that's coming down hard on this issue. On the other hand I am very uncomfortable with more and more people using their positions as news anchors to give us opinions and tell us what to think.

Sure it feels exciting when the person agrees with us, but we need news sources to give us facts about events with relevant background information. We need to be able to think for ourselves here. If we hear opinions coming from news sources, the anchor should give an unbiased report. Who thinks this way? Why? What are the criticisms of what they think? What are the relevant cultural and historical contexts, etc...

We need debate and public discourse, but first we need reliable sources of information.

Posted by: typo180 at April 28, 2009 1:38 PM

Interesting interview. Shep Smith seems to be FOX News's token liberal/gay talking head. The talk-over the interviewees does seem to be part of FOX's style, although MSNBC's Chris Matthew does the same thing, only louder.

Those who try to justify - in any way - what was done under the term "enhanced interrogation techniques" are fools at best. This argument is so tiring. Record after record shows that building rapport (being nice, essentially) and crafty Q and A are effective means of interrogation. Inflicting harm and insinuating inflicting harm are not.

Torture brings down those who torture and brings down our country, in short. Oi - I've written about this so many times in blogs that if you google gypsy sister and torture I wouldn't be surprised if every thing is in the search list.

Jon Stewart had a good go with Cliff May. An edited version aired. You can find the 18+ minute interview in 3 segments on thedailyshow.com.

In the mean time, the thinking public needs to push for transparency on this issue, speak out against torture until everyone gets it, prosecute those who who authorized and carried out interrogations that didn't follow the Geneva Conventions. the sentencing should involve completely humane treatment so that they'll know how it's done.

Posted by: gypsy sister at May 4, 2009 12:17 AM