« community channel | Main | HardTimes :: Outsource »

May 14, 2009

Obama ASU Speech

Obama ASU Commencement :: even if he didn't write it... i'm amazed he can pull this sort of thing off considering the job he has....

Wow, that gave me goosebumps just reading it.
The pen truly is mightier than the sword.

Posted by: Seth at May 14, 2009 12:35 PM

Though my Obama-crush has dimmed in recent times (part the honeymoon is over, part torture-related inaction, amongst other things), it still is a fine speech.

Posted by: Lisa R at May 14, 2009 9:23 PM

I've been waiting for this kind of message from a president of the United States like a sea turtle in the desert dreams of swimming freely in deep water, knowing she is neither tortoise nor shill.

Posted by: jeano at May 15, 2009 5:45 PM

damn, now that's a great speech. a brilliant speech writer, and a fantastic speech maker. who cares if they are one in the same. speeches like this move people.

Posted by: Matthew McMinn at May 15, 2009 9:00 PM

Great speech. BTW, the speech writer's job is to sit down and jot the ideas told by the speaker, isn't it?

Posted by: bre at May 17, 2009 3:08 PM

Sheesh, sheepie . . .

Posted by: Sharon at May 17, 2009 8:03 PM

what a bunch of kool-aid drinkers. pardon me... i am a partisan republican that reduces my arguments to trite statements like this... at some point i hope to have an actual philosophy.

Posted by: polk at May 18, 2009 6:01 PM

What a breath of fresh clean air. While I don't agree with everything Obama does, it's moments like this that make me feel so uplifted. There's more direction in this one graduation speech than in the entirety of the Bush administration. Granted, I just finished the GQ article on Rumsfeld; that's grist for the mill.

Still, there's this feeling that Bush was the abusive, detached from reality parent, and now we're in the hands of a true nurturer. I realize that in writing this I can sound like those who said "He's the one." I don't believe that that's where I am. Again, it's more like considering a parental figure who gives amazing guidance, and even when the child doesn't agree, s/he can go his/her separate way, but with a broader perspective. There's some healing involved in there as well.

Posted by: gypsy sister at May 25, 2009 12:17 PM