« adult friend finder experiment (NSFW) | Main | community channel »

May 13, 2009

what makes us happy?

What Makes Us Happy? :: a 72 year study!

Here's a cool video on what makes us happy: http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/04/22/fastdraw/entry4961248.shtml

Posted by: Steve at May 13, 2009 1:50 PM

Thanks for the link to the Atlantic, Ze! I read the preliminary article in the NYT. Once finals are all over I'll read through the full deal.

Posted by: gypsy sister at May 13, 2009 7:07 PM

It's so strange that you linked to that because the man who wrote it works at my college - he's the director of the Literary House - and they've been plugging this article all over the place. Small world.

Posted by: Emmy at May 14, 2009 6:36 AM

I'm with 47... until the falling down breaking open head part. :)

Posted by: Andrea at May 14, 2009 7:33 PM

I love this article... something about it makes me feel somehow relieved about the rockiness of my own life. I plan to read this again regularly - and I definitely want to read more about this study.

Posted by: Marianne at May 14, 2009 9:11 PM

By far one of the best things I've read in a while. Thanks for posting that, Ze.

Posted by: Goob at May 16, 2009 6:25 PM

there were too many fascinating quips in there, but i found it most interesting that vaillent was so poor with his relationships, when he so readily acknowledged their immeasurable importance. how can a man with such a broken personal life develop such insight on what constructs 'the good life'? plus, one would think he's conducting this research to find answers to his own questions; what is the point, if he cannot apply his findings to his own life? leaves me kinda sad, really.

still, stuff like this is why i study neuropsych.

Posted by: tim at May 18, 2009 2:46 AM

Nice to have time to read through it all. I wonder now about "life liberty and the pursuit of happiness. " We should chase life and liberty, but let happiness come when it comes, perhaps. i like experiencing all emotions and hope to continue in that vein.

As for Hayward, Valliant was perhaps being most helpful when he was being selfish? Just a thought from the old (show) days.

Posted by: gypsy sister at May 19, 2009 6:32 PM