« parkour on a bike (trial bike) | Main | why i think jonah peretti is awesome »

May 4, 2009

love this idea :: blackout poetry

watch it here :: wish the production of the vid was a little better... :: apparently inspired by Austin Kleon's work

Cool! I sent it to my English teacher brother and my other English teacher lifelong friend. I think I'll try it myself... What's a newspaper? (ha ha)

Posted by: jeano at May 5, 2009 2:33 AM

Thinking it might've been more effective if they'd shown the blacked-out pages so that we could see the visual effect, too. And if it'd been me judging, I'd probably have awarded points for visually appealing ones.

Posted by: ccd at May 5, 2009 8:12 AM

Oh, and the first time I saw something like this was in the movie "Mystery, Alaska." Different execution, same cool idea- much like sculpting a figure from marble, you chip away everything that doesn't look like the idea you're after.

Posted by: ccd at May 5, 2009 8:16 AM

I wish they would have incorporated the images of the blacked-out newsprint; that's what not only sets this apart from other forms of poetry, but is also where (IMHO) the majority of this form's beauty comes from.

Thanks for turning me on to this, Ze.

How 'bout this: an online version of blackout poetry. One could write a Greasemonkey script for specific pages, and black out text by inserting elements with a matching color/background-color style.

Posted by: b.pack at May 5, 2009 8:30 AM

Follow-up: Proof of concept for online blackout poetry!

Install this script into Greasemonkey:

Then, go to this CNN story:

Once the page finishes loading, sections are blacked out by the script. :)

Posted by: b.pack at May 5, 2009 10:57 AM

If you like that, you might like this (http://vimeo.com/4037584), it's a time lapse of the Austin Kleon mentioned in the video making a poem. You should also check out his own poems (www.austinkleon.com/category/newspaper-blackout-poems/), if you've not seen them.

Posted by: david at May 5, 2009 3:16 PM

ha - thx for the link.

p.s. - when are you bring back 'the show?'

Posted by: tannerherriott at May 5, 2009 4:41 PM

Ah - a prof at Drake does this with her class. We came in together. This project was profiled in the Times-Delphic, the campus news paper.

I haven't observed any of her results, but I liked the ones in the video.

Posted by: gypsy sister at May 5, 2009 6:30 PM

ummmm - where to put this?

yes - the giant baby!!

Posted by: gypsy sister at May 5, 2009 7:30 PM

Love the last line: "Only hope and imagination can save us" - I will save this one.

Posted by: steph at May 5, 2009 8:40 PM