« two videos | Main | HardTimes :: Five People »

June 20, 2009

if you have time and time

a talk I gave at Webstock which i suppose you could say is dedicated to you :: and "That Makes Me Think Of" :: the first in a series for Time.com

ze, your talent never ceases to amaze me
is there anything that you can't do (qm)
i am serious

Posted by: Lynne at June 20, 2009 6:09 PM

Watched them both. The Webstock one was a treat. It reminded me about the flower maker. I am going to use it to make stencils to paint a chair that nobody loves but me. Thanks for sharing your toys!

The Time one was very well presented. I sent it along.

Posted by: boo at June 20, 2009 10:33 PM

Ze,
Are you going to be able to say 'penis' and make adolescent jokes in your Time pieces or are you going to have to pretend you are a grown up now?

Posted by: JP at June 21, 2009 10:29 AM

Yay! So glad to see these videos.

Posted by: Torchy at June 21, 2009 10:56 AM

I watched this instead of going outside today, I'm still half ready and you can tell exactly when I checked your site and placed the talk at a greater importance than anything else I had planned (somewhere between drying my hair and eating breakfast).
This was a brilliant decision I think, and my lethargy led me to discover exactly what gave you the creative motives to put together your emotive, vast, wonderful and occasionally life-altering projects.
I, amongst numberless devotees, will doubtless follow you and your indefinable extensions of feeling into the online world for the rest of our existences, or until the internet implodes, whichever is first.

Posted by: Steph at June 21, 2009 11:05 AM

Does this mean you'll be creating a steady stream of videos for Time.com? I've felt Ze-deprived ever since the end of "the show" and would be totally stoked if you did many more of these videos. Keep 'em up!

Posted by: Thomas B at June 21, 2009 11:56 AM

Ze,
I loved the webstock video. You are a really creative person and you make me smile and laugh a lot. Thanks for sharing all your talents with the world.

Posted by: JP at June 21, 2009 11:56 AM

I enjoyed this.

It gave me an idea. What if a bunch of sleep-talkers recorded their sleep at night? Then put them all together to see if anyone had a somewhat coherent conversation.

Anyway, thanks!

Posted by: Matthew James at June 21, 2009 1:51 PM

The Webstock presentation was a wonderful trip down memory lane. The way you always find something funny, interesting, or otherwise thoughtful to do alongside your fans is very impressive. I hope the Time series goes well.

Posted by: Dill at June 21, 2009 2:55 PM

I enjoyed the webstock video a lot. It was fun to see you go through various devices that most of us have spent time using, and to see how you have progressed through time. After being introduced to your site a few years back by a friend in school, I have visited almost every day and your original personality is a blast. Keep it going forever!

Posted by: Kory at June 21, 2009 5:55 PM

I am giddy.

And have a feeling I should go buy stock in Time Life, Inc.

Posted by: Jared Cramer at June 21, 2009 7:25 PM

I watched the Webstock one as soon as it was posted. Even with out saying it, I knew it was dedicated to the "us."

Thanks for being willing to see the "us" form.

Posted by: Dylan at June 21, 2009 10:02 PM

The Time one reminded me of The Show, and made me miss it.

Posted by: Eric at June 21, 2009 10:56 PM

Ze,
The webstock video was great. I've had the pleasure of watching many of those projects develop, and getting a behind the scenes look at your thought process for each was a real treat. I hope you give us the same opportunity with your future projects.

Posted by: Evan at June 21, 2009 11:55 PM

Amazing job! Looking forward to more of your works. I'm so hooked.

Posted by: Alex at June 22, 2009 12:30 AM

Your talk at webstock was inspiring - somthing that really resonated with me was "we spend so much time creating spaces that we've forgotten how to play in the spaces we've created" (paraphrase)

As I've recently been laid off and am pondering what to do with myself there were several parts of your talk that seemed to speaking directly to me.

I have now remembered to play and make the world a better place through awesome.

Posted by: JenUnderscore_ at June 22, 2009 11:10 AM

Heh... this makes me want to have your finger babies.

In all seriousness... congrats on your Time Video series. =)

Posted by: gifa at June 22, 2009 6:38 PM

(The scrabble vomit of letters means so much more now.) Thank you for the story around our parts of the story, the context of the journey, and again for enriching my relationship with my muses. Makes me wanna make more stuff! I so enjoyed this presentation. Glad it's posted!

jeano

Posted by: ojeano at June 22, 2009 9:21 PM

Ze, I liked your openness at Webstock. You're an awesome entertainer, but you're also a really cool person, and I like seeing that 'behind the curtains' side of you.

Posted by: Bonita at June 23, 2009 12:21 AM

this gave me lots of smile moments. :)

Posted by: ingrid at June 23, 2009 4:12 AM

ze,

good talk man! was humming 'whip sombodies ass' to myself last week, and couldn't remember where i heard it, had totally forgotten about Ray. although i did loose a bet to a co-worker, thought it was an 80's remix...

Posted by: Jon at June 23, 2009 10:53 AM

Ze,
You da man.

Posted by: Josh at June 23, 2009 7:51 PM

"By the way, this video blog thing?...It's gonna make me a *big* star."
-ze frank

Posted by: onion at June 23, 2009 10:36 PM

A piece of my life is considered well spent.

Posted by: Brian at June 23, 2009 10:57 PM

^^what they all said :)

Posted by: Marianne at June 24, 2009 12:02 AM

like a duck that has mastered sky, land, and sea. Keep up the good work, and play in all your spaces.

Posted by: habile b at June 24, 2009 11:36 PM

Ze,
Thank you for the talk, the show, and all your projects. You continue to be an inspiration to me and my friends. Your ongoing creativity in an ever greying world of conformity gives me hope again for the future...something I thought I had long lost.
I was the first person who bought a big ducky when you ran your "give me candy" show. My quip was a little latin love note to my wife.
It was also my uncle, Anthony "Hank" Rotelli, who passed away during your Angrigami project. At the time I was stricken with grief. He had been sick a long time and I had another visit scheduled to see him, but he passed away just before I could make it.
I was lost and looking for a way out of my grief. When I saw the origami project, it struck a powerful chord in me. There is little that is more ugly than death and little that is more beautiful than a flower, so it seemed serendipitous that you were looking to turn ugly to beautiful at the same time I was.
I never expected you to even post my picture as it was taken with a SpiderMan Digital Camera (600 tickets at Chuck-E-Cheese) and the quality was more than a little weak. I wasn't even sure if it was possible to tell that it was an origami rose. I felt extremely grateful at the time that you saw fit to post it at all. It was very cathartic and I remain in your debt still.
When I heard the Webstock talk and got to Moment #4, I broke down and cried. It wasn't from sadness though. My tiny little eulogy, crafted alone in the dark, had been suddenly raised to a shout from the rooftops. I was speechless.
You have memorialized my beloved Uncle as I never imagined possible, and I am forever grateful. From your presentation, I perceived that it may have helped you in some small way as well, and I am glad of that.

All my heartfelt thanks,
Daniel Rotelli

Posted by: CosmicDan at June 25, 2009 6:05 PM

You're so awesome.

Posted by: Michael at June 25, 2009 8:46 PM

Thanks

Posted by: Harland at June 29, 2009 12:55 AM

To Daniel,

I cried too. Your uncle's nephew is a very special person.

Posted by: Rachael at June 30, 2009 4:14 AM

I loved that talk. It bought back so many awesome memories of watching you and trying to be a part of some of the wonderful things you have inspired. Great work Ze.

Posted by: Lee at July 1, 2009 11:13 AM

You broke my heart, this video is gone JUST as I wanted to forward the link to a friend going through depression for not starting a project.

For now, I sent her to your "Brain Crack" the show episode (http://www.zefrank.com/theshow/archives/2006/07/071106.html), but I wanted to show her how you've done amazing things by failing first.

Posted by: Mike Cramer at December 10, 2009 9:29 PM