« a user created daft punk vid that continues to impress me | Main | new time vid :: tea party »

September 16, 2009

new time.com video :: respect

:: for a larger version click here

Ze, you are one of my favorite internet personalities. And now that you're working in cahoots with Time, I can send your videos to my dad and he'll actually watch them :)

Posted by: Anton at September 16, 2009 9:02 PM

Congratulations my friend. Same old witty, insightful and funny Ze... brand-new platform with shiny corporate (& oh so recognizable) respect.

Posted by: Kabir Kadre at September 17, 2009 12:06 AM

ooo - clever monkey

Posted by: mcmac at September 17, 2009 12:22 AM

When you make me giggle and think and giggle again, I get all groupie.

So, the background books in these. Nice, subtle and want.

Posted by: boo at September 17, 2009 12:26 AM

It’s really fascinating how hypocritical everyone from both sides has become in such a short time.

Fox News is probably the best example; from condemning protesters who insulted the president, to being the defendant of protesters rights. However none of the major American news networks are any better so I shouldn’t single out Fox News.

I’ve always been thought that dissention is essential to a democracy and protesting is the only real (non violent) way that people can try and create change. However the people who compare either Bush or Obama to Hitler seem a little stupid, you might not agree with their policies but they are hardly comparable to someone who orchestrated one of the worst genocides in human history.

I will say it’s hard to stop myself from falling into those roles when I start arguing with someone. I guess that’s the issue. Once you start doing things like calling a political figure Hitler or yell our ‘you lie’ during a joint session of congress, you stopped debating and started arguing...and arguing gets you nowhere.

I’m still waiting for both sides to put their fingers in their ears and go lalalalalalalala.

Posted by: Harland at September 17, 2009 3:48 AM

Ze,
I love your new videos!

Posted by: Rachel at September 17, 2009 7:49 AM

Another great one. Keep 'em coming.

Posted by: JV at September 17, 2009 9:41 AM

Hear, hear! Keep 'em coming, Ze!

Posted by: Paperotta at September 17, 2009 10:47 AM

The last 'reset' on Kanye post 'kindergarten' had me cracking up. Keep the eyebrowy, mouthy Ze style coming!

Posted by: Darin at September 17, 2009 12:29 PM

thx, ze! with all due respect, i'm tempted to call what you do kindergarten cultural deconstruction. by looking at the definition of respect, and invoking the point of view of a 5 year-old, you get to the heart of the matter and bring clarity to this topic and others that tend to get cluttered in public discourse. don't know if the clips of foreign parliamentary fisticuffs fill me more with foreboding ("will *we* be like that in 10 years?") or hope ("well, at least we're better than those whacky Brits!"). i'm glad you do what you do, man.[apologies if this is a duplicate post, i don't think my initial attempt got sent]

Posted by: ergo at September 17, 2009 4:01 PM

Ze, you rock.

Posted by: Mary Allen at September 17, 2009 7:16 PM

you seem to have a lot of books on creativity, ze. So THAT'S how you do it, eh?

Posted by: Kitze at September 17, 2009 9:49 PM

i really love it! Yes!

Posted by: xfox at September 17, 2009 10:03 PM

In my opinion Ze, you're funniest when your lack of respect is present most.

Posted by: j.w. at September 17, 2009 11:52 PM

Every time I see these videos, it makes the sportsracer inside me jump for joy. I love the subtle shout-outs to your loyal followers: the duckie in the background, the books on creativity (a running theme in the Show), and the extreme close-ups.

While these shout outs are nice, it's not what makes these videos great. Your videos are so special because you can take an event or two and extrapolate such meaning from them. Something to return our perspective of what's important to us when our world seems to operate in tunnel vision.

Keep up the great work, and congrats on making the best videos on time.com!

Posted by: Michael D. at September 18, 2009 3:39 AM

These videos need to be required viewing before each school day.

damn it!

Posted by: gypsy sister at September 18, 2009 5:37 PM

You're right, they're all hypocrites.

Posted by: Miss Malevolent at September 18, 2009 5:49 PM

They are really getting better and better Ze, you are hitting your stride with these Time pieces. If you could sneak a song into one, your show fans would go wild:)

If you can't get a whole song in, maybe just a powermove?

Posted by: John Post at September 18, 2009 6:40 PM

Love the video. And you're right, these men are professionals! Act like it! For the love of God!

Posted by: PBij at September 18, 2009 7:44 PM

First of all, I respect what you are saying because you say it with so much humor and intelligence. But I don't agree with you because I think the issue with respect to the President is a special case. True, Congress has to be respectful within its own chambers and to each other. That should be basic kindergarten stuff, as you said. But the President was speaking as a guest to Congress. To be uncivil as host, is to break one of the worst rules of hospitality. So there are two issues, basic civility to each other, and hospitality to the President as a visitor.

Secondly, is it hypocrisy, when Democrats learned from their mistakes, and began treating President Bush better towards the end of his office, and expecting Republicans to also treat President Obama with civility? While it is true that a few over zealous Democrats still behaved badly, like booing the out-going President, they were in the minority and most Democrats quickly denounced them. Then consider, is it hypocrisy, when Republicans on the one hand criticize Democrats for their behavior, while on the other hand, collectively deliberately orchestrate one of the worst exhibition in recorded history.

Having said that, disagreeing with you in the finer points, I applaud you in principle.

Posted by: Andrew at September 19, 2009 12:47 AM

i knew it i KNEW that last kanye was coming! my anticipation of it made it so much better

Posted by: anna at September 22, 2009 3:03 AM

It's like a much less frequent 'The Show!' Yay!

Posted by: Blank-Mage at September 23, 2009 7:43 AM