« new time vid :: socialism | Main | an email i received, about death and facebook »

September 9, 2009

The Ascent of Man

A powerful clip from Jacob Bronowski's documentary series :: reminds me what a great presenter is like :: click below to watch ::

The hairs on the back of my neck just stood up.

Thank you.

Posted by: Lainey at September 9, 2009 1:42 PM

I was so moved! How powerful!

Posted by: Deanna McNeil at September 9, 2009 2:08 PM

Let's all be him or like him

Posted by: nader at September 9, 2009 2:40 PM

Incredibly powerful. Thanks, Ze!

Posted by: Dinah at September 9, 2009 2:48 PM

Magnificent - and all one shot! Today the simple image would jump-cut, overlaid with graphics & overblown. I doubt I've seen a more powerful, yet strangely understated image than Bronowski stepping gently into that pond as he speaks.

Posted by: AlanM at September 9, 2009 3:19 PM

Good point, the presentation is quite remarkable. And the presenter really puts his views forward with passion that instills passion in the viewer himself.

also wanted to say congrats on the article on the 99 percent

Posted by: eydryan at September 9, 2009 3:24 PM

^ well at least this way, we, the human family as a whole
can concur that we all hailed from common ancestry!! ha ha
(comen)

Posted by: lyn at September 9, 2009 6:08 PM

Chilling

Posted by: Lindsay at September 9, 2009 6:09 PM

OMG! I cried! So passionate, painful and beautiful.

Posted by: Kate at September 9, 2009 9:16 PM

Love.

Posted by: jeano at September 10, 2009 2:57 AM

Poignant.

Posted by: Ian Howarth at September 10, 2009 9:14 AM

Very real. A passionate delivery of how to deliver ourselves from beliefs and dogma.

Posted by: yolanda difabio at September 10, 2009 1:56 PM

"think it possible that you may be mistaken"

imagine how much better our relationships would be, our country would be, our world would be, if people at least entertained the idea that they might be wrong.

wait. perhaps i shouldn't ask that of "people." perhaps i should just ask that of myself.

Posted by: efemmeral at September 10, 2009 3:05 PM

This is stunning. Thank you for posting this - neither Rob nor I had heard of this series! We're watching more on YouTube.

Posted by: Marianne at September 13, 2009 1:11 AM

Thank you for posting this. What a powerful argument.

In the last few weeks, I have found myself debating within my own mind about what I believe concerning science. While I am a Christian, i have always leaned away from biblical creationism and toward evolution with the belief that something (God) sparked life - so a form of intelligent design. But I was shocked when some of my friends in academia literally stopped talking to me when I shared this one night. For them and apparently for many academics and evolutionary biologists, there is no room for anything more than what they say is the case. My shock was even greater after watching Ben Stein's Expelled Documentary.

What is the great crime in considering the possibility that we may be wrong. Not just about my little diatribe here, but about anything. I wonder how many arguments i could have avoided in my marriage if I had simply asked myself first "could I be in the wrong here?"

Before you posted this I had never even heard of Mr. Bronowski but now I plan to thoroughly get to know his works. Thanks again for posting this.

btw - ur my favorite blogger ever and though I am not faithful in the frequency of my visits, I am always delighted when I do stop by.

Peace,
Kris

Posted by: Kris Collins at September 16, 2009 6:20 PM

Thank you for posting this. What a powerful argument.

Peace,
Kris

Posted by: Kris Collins at September 16, 2009 6:21 PM

This has always been the scene I measure documentaries by. "Ascent of Man," "Civilisation," and "Cosmos" were some of the greatest gifts PBS ever gave us.

Posted by: joe Brennan at September 17, 2009 1:47 AM

Jacob Bronowski's Ascent of Man is one of my favorite series of all time. The man was a great scientist and a great philosopher.

Posted by: Andrew at September 19, 2009 1:03 AM

I haven't watched the series in the last quarter of a century, but I knew exactly which clip you were referring to before I started to play it.

Posted by: Steve at September 27, 2009 12:28 AM

Oh my.

That is incredibly potent. Thank you for sharing this. I had to watch it twice to let it all soak in. I watched it a third time because it was just so powerful.

It is something that I will dwell on- and SHOULD dwell on for some time and I can only hope that his passion for what he is saying is transferrable and permanent. That we as a people or, as 'efemmeral' points out, as individuals can be wrong and most likely are frequently so, is something that I think we all forget. Moreover it's something that ought to be kept in mind.

'Remember, thou art mortal'

(Incidentally, I must confess that the first time that I watched the clip, the last line he speaks as he picks up the muck from the pond almost made me laugh audibly. ...a tad morbid, I'm afraid, but it still stikes me as darkly comical.)

Posted by: C Bartko at November 8, 2009 8:03 PM