« a "short list" of the books that were recommended to me :: | Main | challenge 1 :: shadow letters »

October 25, 2009

new time vid :: brief history of afghanistan

Thank you for this.

Posted by: RunningFool at October 26, 2009 8:54 AM

I kinda feel like I get it now. This explanation probably replaces 2 or three days of high school middle eastern history class, which made no sense at all. Thank you.
How could our plans for Afganistan possibly go wrong, now that we understand the past a little better.

PS nice job with the Charlie Wilson's War book over your shoulder.

Posted by: Andrew at October 26, 2009 2:11 PM

Ahhhhhhh

that was the sound of me not having to think again

;)

Posted by: j.w. at October 26, 2009 3:05 PM

"Charlie Wilson's War" - subtle.

Posted by: Brian at October 26, 2009 7:05 PM

I have little to say other than "Word up!" and "Fix your autofocus"

Word up!

Fix your autofocus.

Always (well mostly anyway),
--Jake

Posted by: Jake, Jakester, The Jakmieser! at October 26, 2009 9:12 PM

I have little to say other than "Word up!" and "Fix your autofocus"

Word up!

Fix your autofocus.

Always (well mostly anyway),
--Jake

Posted by: Jake, Jakester, The Jakmieser! at October 26, 2009 9:12 PM

I have little to say other than "Word up!" and "Fix your autofocus"

Word up!

Fix your autofocus.

Always (well mostly anyway),
--Jake

Posted by: Jake, Jakester, The Jakmieser! at October 26, 2009 9:12 PM

Oh but if you want to be really sexy pronounce it "MuJuHAdon".

Posted by: Jake, Jakester, The Jakmieser! at October 26, 2009 9:16 PM

They ...buffering... call Afgh ...buffering... anistan the gr ...buffering... aveyard of Empire

I wish Time wasn't so painfully slow in Australia :(

Posted by: PodeCoet at October 26, 2009 10:55 PM

You know, just last week I was thinking that it was about time for me to finally sit myself down and learn some Afghan history. This video is proof that procrastination is often the best policy.

Thanks Ze.

Posted by: Steve Ford at October 26, 2009 11:22 PM

Dear Ze,

The issue at hand carries great importance, but my gaze always wanders of to your bookshelf and the books there. But more interestingly,at least to me, the lowest black&white photo to your back right seems like Finnish president Tarja Halonen.

Sam

Posted by: Sam at October 27, 2009 5:20 AM

Nice swift summary except you forgot the Pashtoon's...The most intense quite Tribal's on EARTH. They invented Taliban ...they allowed Bin Laden......They are the stick in the back of Pakistan in the Northwest Frontier....Quetta.

If you live in this area you better have a SPINE!

Posted by: Ron at October 27, 2009 11:51 AM

Really, Ze, you couldn't get in 9/11 under the time limit? Do you even have a time limit? Or are you just being coy...

Posted by: Lee at October 27, 2009 1:21 PM

What, no comments???
I'm really enjoying the Time vids-- usually when you post one, I run over to the Time website and watch it there, so that I can be one among the millions of click-thru "votes" for your vids.

It's unbelievably swell (that's right--'swell') that this video is in the 'most watched' list! Hope that continues.

Posted by: Stan at October 28, 2009 7:46 PM

I am loving your time vids. It's nice to have some semblance of the show back on the net.

Also, I found this video incredibly interesting and I learned something too. If you were a history professor I don't think I'd ever skip class!

Posted by: Jon krause at October 29, 2009 8:53 AM

Good job! You covered what would be a whole unit in less than four minutes. A semester with you would be akin to a week. It'd be a good week too.

Posted by: boo at November 2, 2009 12:17 AM

I like the little little duckies in the pond.

And ze. Always ze.

A chicka quack quack.

--c.

Posted by: Clive at November 2, 2009 7:14 AM

Thank you for this.You can go to see it.

Posted by: eartheternal gold at November 2, 2009 8:22 PM

An excellent book that illustrates the US Involvement with the Mujaheddin from the 60's up until 2001 is "Ghost Wars" by Steve Coll. There is also some very interesting information regarding Pakistan's involvement and support for the Taliban in the late 90's.

Posted by: Jack from Canada at November 5, 2009 7:08 PM

this just in ::

"After enduring a drumbeat of criticism from world leaders in recent days, the Afghan government struck back on Saturday, saying it viewed a U.N. official's prescription for ridding the country of corruption and warlords as an infringement on its national sovereignty."

Posted by: Lyn at November 7, 2009 4:09 PM

it had been awhile since I watched your TIME vids. I now realize that was a mistake. The cadence of your edit strikes the old happy chords of The Show. Wonderful.

Posted by: Steven Van Haren at November 9, 2009 11:55 AM

you gay hoe dis b makin no sense so ever

Posted by: John Wayne at November 10, 2009 1:15 PM

You just consolidated the two books, five tests, and countless lectures/historical documentaries I've sat through the past month and a half in a little over three minutes. This neither greatly pleases nor displeases me, but I did find it interesting enough to share.

Now if you could just come up with a counter-insurgency plan for the region (MLA format, please) we should be good to go.

Posted by: AisuErufu at November 10, 2009 4:47 PM

Does anybody else think those 3 Afghan elders in the video pic are strangely handsome, regal even?

Posted by: J at November 14, 2009 12:01 AM

Word up!

Fix your autofocus

Posted by: cohowelt at November 18, 2009 8:49 AM

Ze -

Things on the side of things.

If we look to the side of each of these topics, there are questions which disrupt the nature of the US answer to WHY?

It would be interesting how other things play into why we started the war and how it grew into what we are doing today. I am sure that these new things would provide more clues to the nature of our 'answer' truth.
The concept playing the British Buffer State is played again, but this time by the US. We are interested in other dominance - not just democracy and freedom, while handing over a true theological apple to the US. (A fruit that Americans prefer to clamp down on - I think Cheney grew that apple). Religion, good and bad, right and wrong, them vs us, etc.

Three topics that have side things:
1. How did the Taliban continue to gain more weapons and ammo and complex devices to kill Americans? Do they have their own kinds of labs, manufacturing facilities and corporate ownership that drives these things? Clearly gun and ammo supply lines (manufacturing to distribution) have been increasing for the Taliban, but who paid, made and gave these supplies to kill Americans? What was their profit?

2. Poppy agriculture side thing
Drug manufacturing and distribution within the surrounding area were all explained to be bad just after 9/11, and "we were going to go in there and help everyone understand freedom and democracy". Years after 9-11, poppy production is still taking place. "Let's kill all those farmers who grow poppy plants for bad bad drug money!!"

3. Crude Oil side thing
Harvesting and distribution lines could be mapped out over the past 65 years. Who is interested in oil supply harvesting and distribution? What strategic role does the Afghanistan map play for oil supply for the world? What developments have taken place since 9/11? Who has made money doing this?

If each of these issues were reviewed over the same time lines in history (over the past 65 years), we would see things differently from the 'truth' and 'freedom' things waved to the American public.
Thanks for putting together this catch-up vid.

Posted by: Ari Goldstein at December 8, 2009 10:17 AM

thanks FOR SHARING, this was really helpful :) - one day ill have a site like this (just less cool :)

Posted by: me at January 20, 2010 3:55 AM