« new time vid :: diplomacy | Main | a "short list" of the books that were recommended to me :: »

October 12, 2009

time vid :: on the nobel peace prize

well, it was a crappy call, but I think they gave it to him to OBLIGE him to withdraw from Afganistan...

and if it increases his celebrity value in the US, maybe he can use the new capital to pass single-payer health care.

but then again, "the opposition" just got way more ammo.

Posted by: Zippy at October 12, 2009 5:37 PM

I thinks he got it because he wasn't Bush.

Posted by: ChrisF at October 12, 2009 6:34 PM

If you want to look smart, look up who has won similar prizes, like the International Human Rights Award, or the Perdita Huston award, pick someone off the list, and then say that this person should have received it.

Then you can say "how did Sima Samar not get a nod this year", or "they missed Akbar Ganji AGAIN!", or "oh, Su Su Nway was snubbed".

I bet you've heard of none of these people. Neither did I until I did some judicious googling and wikipeding. But now, I sound SO smart.

Posted by: Pseudonym at October 12, 2009 11:56 PM

Damn, McCain nailed it. I never thought I'd be thankful for the words of that war-mongering, lying, misogynist, elitist freak of nature. But there I am. Norweiginian awards make for strange bedfellows.

Frankly, I'm glad Obama got the NPP. I've certainly got more peace of mind as a result of his presidency; It's nice, I mean, that I don't have to apologize for being American whenever I travel overseas.

Posted by: Rosa at October 13, 2009 1:13 AM

Well... thanks John McCain, that actually sounded sane and reasonable. Unlike many of the republican reactions which are starting to sound a bit sour grapey.

Thanks, Ze, for another great video!

Posted by: Jodi at October 13, 2009 12:47 PM

I voted for John McCain. He's just so cute.

Posted by: Josh at October 13, 2009 2:14 PM

More subliminal messages in the bookshelf, with gems such as "LIES! LIES! LIES", "Predictably Irrational", and "False Alarm".

Keep up with that little touch, Ze. It makes it all worth it.

Posted by: Jeff at October 13, 2009 3:49 PM

Norwegia...love it!

Posted by: eeknay at October 13, 2009 4:29 PM

Bravo!

Posted by: Airport Whiskey at October 13, 2009 7:36 PM

My guy told me that sometimes they give the award to shame the person into doing/not doing something... although if the decision was already made back in February, it couldn't have had anything to do with health care, Israel, Afghanistan, etc.
I personally loved the award in the face of Obama's "faliure" to get the Olympics in Chicago (like it was really his fault... anybody remember America's last eight years? and seriously, would you rather go to Chicago or Rio?) but in the end, none of it probably really has to do with anything anyone's mentioning...

I think he deserves it for bringing hope back into the picture. He represents hope to a lot of people, and hope is a great motivator.

Posted by: Marianne at October 14, 2009 3:05 AM

Posted by: Rachid at October 15, 2009 6:13 AM

Ze, I had gotten out of the habit of checking your site in a while... and imagine my surprise when I come back and you're making regular videos again! I could not be more ecstatic!! and, hey, if you wanna throw in a little inside joke for the sportsracers in your viewership... well, that'd be absolutely Fabuloso!

Posted by: sportsracer3005 at October 15, 2009 2:04 PM

Very sweet commentary Ze.

Turns out there's a precedent for Obama's Peace Prize: the on awarded to Oscar Arias Sanchez. Check out this link to the UVA website on Nobel Peace Prizes: http://www.virginia.edu/nobel/laureates/bios/sanchez_bio.html.

I"m sure we'll keep hearing about O's award until there's something new to take up the 24 hour news cycle. Will the balloon noy story have staying power?

Posted by: gypsy sister at October 16, 2009 10:53 AM

Just thought I'd tell you:
The country is Norway, the people are Norwegians. Not the other way around. Cheers.

Posted by: Malte at October 19, 2009 3:03 AM

The Nobel prize is based in Sweden not Norway.

Just thought I'd point that out.

Posted by: B. at October 26, 2009 11:26 PM

WON ? the nobel peace prize.. maybe because he was behind the bush..

peace bro.