« challenge #2 :: help a charity win $20K! | Main | brief history of the US involvement in the afghanistan war »

December 8, 2009

rodney mullen - two videos :: one from 1984, and some more recent footage

In my opinion, Rodney Mullen has always been one of the true fathers of skateboarding, and he deserved a game franchise way more than Tony Hawk.

Posted by: kernelPANIC at December 8, 2009 12:04 PM

I think that dog in the second video could sense that he sold his soul to the devil for ridiculous skating skills.

Posted by: brad drac at December 8, 2009 7:26 PM

True innovator, master of ballance.

Tricks invented:
1. Flatground Ollie
2. 540 Shove-It
3. Helipop (Frontside 360 Nollie)
4. Kickflip (Originally known as the "Magic Flip")
5. Heelflip
6. Impossible
7. Casper/Anti-Casper
8. 360 Flip (Also known as the "Tre-Flip" or "360 Kickflip," the board does a kickflip and 360 shuv-it concurrently.)
9. Pressure Flip (Flipping with the same foot you popped the board with)
10. Half Cab Kickflip
11. No Comply (Ollie with one foot)
12. 180 Kickflip (Fronside/Backside)
13. Nosebone
14. Fingerflip
15. Airwalk
16. Varial Kickflip (A Kickflip, followed by a Backside Pop Shove-It)
17. Varial Heelflip (A Heelflip, followed by a Frontside Pop Shove-It)
18. Helipop Heelflip
19. Kickflip Underflip
20. Casperslide
21. Darkslide (Grinding using your griptape)

Who will be the next one to push things to a different level the way Mullen did? .. Almir Jusovic?

Posted by: taimen8 at December 9, 2009 5:12 AM

I didn't think anyone else in this world was as big a fan of Rodney Mullen as I was...

This guy has some REAL and RAW technical skateboarding talent!

Posted by: Greg at December 9, 2009 11:09 AM

This is why I can never agree with other adults about those bothersome skateboarders. People like Rodney Mullen have to start somewhere. This is where the word awesome is most appropriate.

Posted by: gypsy sister at December 9, 2009 3:02 PM

I guess he finally figured out that baggy pants are a lot more acceptable :) tee hee

Posted by: Romina at December 10, 2009 1:01 PM

The truth is that Mullin is actually an alien. That is the only explanation.

Posted by: dthree at December 10, 2009 9:29 PM

First video brings back memories of getting stoked watching vids and then going out to the local "banks" to try it. (Notice there are no cuts/edits.) Second video proves that the same moves are still cool, it just takes baggy pants and a wide-angle lense. But I think the short-shorts and knee-highs might be ready for a comeback. Long live Bones Brigade.

Posted by: dray at December 11, 2009 1:19 PM

I've watched that second video like a hundred times but I'm never seen the one from 1984. Nice find!

Posted by: Dan C at February 20, 2010 9:03 AM

Rodney Mullen is an absolute genius and should be mentioned in the same breath as Michael Jordan, Michael Phelps, Joe Montana, Pete Sampras, and other Hall of Fame caliber athletes.

Thanks, Rodney, for a lifetime of entertainment. Every time I watch you skate I am taken back to summer nights of skating as a teenager...some of the best memories of my life.

Posted by: Krumpet at March 1, 2010 4:40 PM