« "whole" - a pain pack song | Main | challenge #2 :: help a charity win $20K! »

December 2, 2009

vocoders now officially connect everything to everything...

Just started a SPORTS RACER Twibe. If you have a Twitter, visit http://twibes.com/SportsRacers to join.

Posted by: Steve at December 2, 2009 2:26 PM

I love these videos. Go find the other two Symphony of Science videos while you're at it.

Cosmos, the series that most of this footage is taken from is also brilliant. You can watch the whole series on Hulu or Netflix. It's a great way to learn a lot in a short amount of time with a passionate teacher.

Posted by: Ben at December 2, 2009 2:31 PM

is it just me or is anybody else sick of auto tune?

Posted by: ms. v at December 2, 2009 4:02 PM

This makes me feel good.

Posted by: Jodi at December 2, 2009 6:25 PM

That was nothing short of great.

Posted by: Matan at December 2, 2009 6:59 PM

There is more of this sort of thing at http://www.symphonyofscience.com/ and they even have MP3s for those that can get enough of Sagan.

Posted by: Eric Howe at December 2, 2009 8:49 PM

Absolutely enchanting, mesmerizing. Hats off to Carl Sagan and his phenomenal TV series: Cosmos, and to the person who put this together. Now, let's run it again...

Posted by: Erling Ormar Vignisson at December 2, 2009 9:57 PM

for two more videos, one that is only Sagan, and the other one with Carl Sagan, Richard Dawkins, Michio Kaku and Robert Jastrow

I actually found these beautiful. I'm a huge fan of all these men and all around skeptic. What these songs convey is very close to my philosophy. Quite frankly the ideas expressed in these videos are some of the reasons I'm an atheist. Religious myths are petty and pathetic in contrast of the complexities around us.

By it's self the idea that we are reminisce of dead stars isn't just some well crafted poetic statement thought up by someone it is (more importantly) an observable truth. As far as we can tell the universe started with a huge expansion and filled with a bunch of hot stuff that eventually cooled down to become hydrogen, helium and just a trace of lithium. soon the hydrogen and helium collapsed and made hot stars and it's not until these stars violently exploded until we get the heaver elements of carbon to at least lead in significant amounts that then billions of years later collapsed in on itself to create our planet along with the sun and other planets and this alone is a tiny story in our galaxy, a galaxy that is an even tinier part of the universe.

Compared to the idea that everything was made in six days for us; it is easy to see that this is a man made myth to fill a gap in our understanding. How people can still believe in this myth (and go through great lengths to do so) when we have learned so much more since the bronze age is beyond me.

Posted by: Julian at December 3, 2009 12:22 AM

I love this! Thank you!

I miss Carl Sagan... when I think of how rotten humans can be, and how the earth will be better off without our garbage, in my head I always hear Carl Sagan from his Cosmos series (and see him in his corduroy sportscoat and turtleneck sweater) talking about the beauty of humanity's artistic expression and scientific curiosity, and the wonder of our consciousness. It makes me feel better.

Posted by: Jeano at December 3, 2009 12:37 PM

Mmm Science Remix

Posted by: TheGato at December 3, 2009 5:47 PM

Nice to see Neil and his band got together for another cut inspired by his NOVA/Science Now Auto-tune episode. Keep up the good work and thank you for sharing this zefrank

Posted by: R. Christian at December 4, 2009 10:12 AM

Like, wow!... That kicked ass, as always.. ;)

Posted by: Whothehellisthat at December 4, 2009 2:39 PM

Very cool. Some people say that science destroys the wonder of nature and the universe by reducing it to data, laws, and theories... To hear these scientists - Richard Feynman, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Carl Sagan, Bill Nye - speaking passionately and with conviction about the wonders that scientific inquiry has revealed to us is the best possible response. The fact that it's autotuned (vocoded?) and set to a bitchin' soundtrack doesn't hurt, either.

Posted by: MikeK at December 4, 2009 3:02 PM

Great video! The only thing is, I would say the world is connected by logic but not people. No...definetly not people :)

Posted by: amused at January 2, 2010 12:06 PM

I must say that I like SoS's "Glorious Dawn" a bit more, but this is still excellent.

Posted by: Bhig3 at January 20, 2010 8:52 PM

Wow... That truly is the greatest thing I have ever seen. If you, Ze, were in it, it would complete my hero list. Thank you for sharing this!

Posted by: Daniel at January 29, 2010 12:24 PM

YOU, are beautiful....way to make a point. Fabulous!

Posted by: marthainnh at March 5, 2010 2:49 AM