« chatroulette improv | Main | bill murray on technology »

March 30, 2010

"i dance this way"

"Best Bluegrass Clog Dancing Video Ever Made" :: hard to argue with that :: click below to watch ::

It's easy to see some of the Irish and Scottish heritage in Bluegrass when you watch them dance like this.

Posted by: Josh at March 30, 2010 7:57 AM

Wow. pretty good video work too. You can see the guys camera at around 3:15. That's not as light as a flip.

Posted by: Vinod at March 30, 2010 8:41 AM

I don't know Ze - it's good, but is it the best?

I saw some pretty wicked clog dancing on "So you think you can clog dance?" and Buzz Aldrin and Pamela Anderson were amazing on last night's "Clog Dancing with the Stars."

Posted by: DFLamont at March 30, 2010 8:58 AM

Isn't that Scout from To Kill a Mockingbird? Mom on the couch seems have a headache (though she may just be worrying what all that clog dancing is doing to her floor. Why can't we bring this back. Seriously. I love squaredancing (though I've never clogged).

Posted by: Kevin at March 30, 2010 9:17 AM

Proof positive that we wear shoes in the Southern Appalachians.

Posted by: Mountzionryan at March 30, 2010 9:25 AM

I wish someone knew what the deal was with the guy in the pirate shirt. He's completely out of place, but super charming at the same time.

And what's with all the buzz kills sitting on the couch? Man this is awesome, appreciate the awesomeness couch people!

Posted by: alan at March 30, 2010 11:35 AM

That guy with the Riverdance shirt on ... is that Michael Flatley? Or mebbe his pa?

Posted by: Kate at March 30, 2010 12:11 PM

This reminds me of my favorite Southern Classic Novel - Farewell I Am Bound to Leave You by Fred Chappell. The chapter (all of them are wonderful) called "The Remembering Women" describes how an "educator/educated person" goes to one of the dances in eastern NC at around this time period and is amazed at the artistry of clogging and the sense of community it brings to the area. But the way Mr. Chappell describes it is hinted at with this clip. Thanks, Ze! I needed to watch this. Please read that book, everyone, it is magical (as are the others in the series).

Posted by: chacha at March 30, 2010 1:22 PM

now I know why shoes were invented

Posted by: nader at March 30, 2010 6:33 PM

Dancing was great. I see they have their own Michael Flatly wearing a pirate shirt.

Posted by: dburns at March 30, 2010 8:13 PM

It just looks like so much fun!

Posted by: Reverend Lisa at March 31, 2010 11:46 AM

Nice video, I tend to wonder what would happend to the world if this were to air on a commercial, peak hours! :)

Posted to let you know that you have at least made me smile for the last 5 hours of internet surfing. While I can not return the favor in the same style, I do hope that you have a most fabulous day!
I especially liked the Angrigami, very artistic in its pure meaning, and the quote "You might learn another programming language to put off making something useful in the one you already know", spot on, at least from my perspective =)

Stay Ze!

Yours truly.

Posted by: Josef at April 1, 2010 12:01 AM

Squaredancing and clogging are still done by lots of folks. Here is a kung fu clogging vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCFJ3LURCtc

Posted by: Forrest O. at April 2, 2010 11:34 AM

A fascinating tidbit: the video was posted to YouTube by the same guy who originally filmed it in 1964!

Posted by: Matt at April 4, 2010 1:49 PM

Look

Posted by: James at April 7, 2010 10:02 AM

Oh, I love their faces! I wish I was there dancing with them.

Posted by: JJR at April 7, 2010 10:51 AM

Aww, that's so cool! We used to have a place called Stanley's here where we'd go for NC bbq and clogging when I was a kid. :D

Posted by: Danielle at April 7, 2010 10:34 PM

a whole new meaning to being clogged up.

Posted by: Jamie at April 8, 2010 11:10 AM

Is there a Wii game for this. it miight be hell on my Wii balance board, but oh so sweet.

Posted by: Andrew Appel at April 15, 2010 1:14 AM

I am the guy who made the movie and posted the video. About 250 documentaries later, I remain firmly convinced that ordinary people tell extraordinary stories that affect millions. Famous people. Big names. Talking heads, don't interest me. capturing and presenting ordinary people living their extraordinary lives do. And the YouTube era makes this kind of filmmaking even more relevant.
David Hoffman -- film maker
www.YouTube.com/allinaday
and thank you for posting it, Ze. I have enjoyed you at the Ted conference and said hello several times.

Posted by: david hoffman at June 4, 2010 9:27 AM