« frog fail - you gotta try (harder) | Main | need some insight on death and remembrance in the digital age »

March 4, 2010

My favorite quote at the moment...

“Look, I really don't want to wax philosophic, but I will say that if you're alive, you got to flap your arms and legs, you got to jump around a lot, you got to make a lot of noise, because life is the very opposite of death. And therefore, as I see it, if you're quiet, you're not living. You've got to be noisy, or at least your thoughts should be noisy and colorful and lively.” :: Mel Brooks

what's yours? (not the clever ones, but the ones that really hit you right now...dig?

“I didn’t know why I was going to cry, but I knew that if anybody spoke to me or looked at me too closely the tears would fly out of my eyes and the sobs would fly out of my throat and I’d cry for a week. I could feel the tears brimming and sloshing in me like water in a glass that is unsteady and too full.”
— Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar

Posted by: Caroline at March 4, 2010 12:30 AM

Always been partial to Hunter S. Thompson's: ""Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."

Posted by: Ned at March 4, 2010 12:41 AM

I can't remember who said it but: "the most wasted of days is one without laughter".

Never more true than when you have kids.

Posted by: Ben at March 4, 2010 12:41 AM

"You cannot not communicate"
Paul Watzlawick

Everything we do speak about ourselves. It is unavoidable.

Posted by: Veronique at March 4, 2010 12:43 AM

it's either this, from a single man, which i just saw a couple of hours ago:

"if it's going to be a world with no time for sentiment, grant, it's not a world that i want to live in."

or this, from a song i heard owen pallett play live a couple weeks back:

"you can't eat freedom, and you can't listen to peace. independence is no solution for modern babies. they don’t know how to use free minds."

that makes me seem a lot more cynical than i am, i think, but it really just reminds me that i have a freedom and i need to use it. the entire song mobilizes me, really. it can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_nw7bODiQ4

Posted by: emily s. at March 4, 2010 12:44 AM

First...I love the Mel quote!
Then, thanks for sharing!

Posted by: Jan Voght at March 4, 2010 12:45 AM

You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees
for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.

Posted by: cyn at March 4, 2010 12:46 AM

"Learn to be what you are, and learn to resign with good grace all that you are not."
—Henry Frederick Emile

Posted by: ohocheese at March 4, 2010 12:46 AM

The unbeatable Wil Wheaton:

"Don't be a dick.

You tend to attract what you put into the world, and every second you spend being a dick is a second wasted. I'm 37, and while I've looked back on times I was a dick with great regret, I've never thought to myself, "You know, I really wish I'd spent more time being a dick to people.""

Posted by: Mark Morgan at March 4, 2010 12:47 AM

"I like myself because I have nice friends." Me, age 5

Posted by: bri at March 4, 2010 12:48 AM

"Criticise by creating." - Michelangelo

--xo.

Posted by: R. at March 4, 2010 12:49 AM

"Live once, dead a long time"
(I don't who said it).

Posted by: Paul at March 4, 2010 12:49 AM

I love yours Ze. This is mine ~ right now, at least.

Chef pauses for a moment, resting his knuckles on the worktable. "La patisserie, c'est commes les gens," he says.

"Pastry is like people," says Anne, who translates the rest. Some dough needs a lot of kneading, some requires much less. Some dough is satisfied to rise just a little, while other dough needs to double in size. All dough needs warmth to rise.

~Kathleen Flinn

Posted by: Tiffony at March 4, 2010 12:50 AM

I believe that whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger. - Heath Ledger as The Joker

Posted by: Chuck at March 4, 2010 12:50 AM

"Fun is the new cool" - Little Boots

Posted by: Jon at March 4, 2010 12:52 AM

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

(the internet doesn't agree on who said it)

Posted by: shannon at March 4, 2010 12:53 AM

Not a quote but a book title:
I Answer With My Life.
I haven't read it bit the title resonates as what I'd like to be able to say at the end of it all.

Posted by: JenJen at March 4, 2010 12:57 AM

"That's when I wish I could bring my life with me: all my friends and all my things. And I could line them all up and point to them; I could point to meetings that went well and days when I made perfect lasagna."
-Ze Frank

Even though it's from Ze, and I don't want to be a kiss-ass, I still think this is one of my favorite quotes of all time. I don't know why it hit me so hard, but it does.

Posted by: Zac Manman at March 4, 2010 12:58 AM

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -- Lazarus Long

There's a lot more in his notebooks that I try to live by, but that one is one of the most prime.

Howlin' Hobbit
got uke?

Posted by: Howlin' Hobbit at March 4, 2010 12:59 AM

You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees
for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.

-Mary Oliver, "Wild Geese"

(forgot attribution first time, ooops)

Posted by: cyn at March 4, 2010 12:59 AM

I used to hang out with this group of anarchists that lived across the street, long, weird story, but one of them once said "I write my own Bible every day of my life" and it really stuck with me over the years.

Posted by: Alex at March 4, 2010 1:01 AM

A man never goes so far as when he doesn’t know where he is going. - Oliver Cromwell

Posted by: pax at March 4, 2010 1:03 AM

"If not you, who? If not now, when?" - Hillel

Posted by: borlicher at March 4, 2010 1:06 AM

"The choices you make and the way you live your life can often inspire people to make a difference in theirs, without you or them even knowing it." ~ Chippa Campbell

Posted by: Pete at March 4, 2010 1:09 AM

"'I really wish I spent more time being a dick to people'"

Posted by: Sean at March 4, 2010 1:12 AM

"Take time every day to sit quietly and listen." (It's on a Buddha card on my refrigerator and attributed to the Buddha).

I realized the other day that includes while other people are talking.

Posted by: jeano at March 4, 2010 1:15 AM

Cross the years, and miles, and through. On a good day you can feel my love for you. Will you leave me be so that we can stay true to the path that you have chosen? - Joanna Newsom

Posted by: Reid at March 4, 2010 1:20 AM

From City of Bones:

"I have a high pain threshold. In fact, it's less of a threshold and more of a large and tastefully decorated foyer."

From Shadow of the Hegemon:

"What a laugh, though. To think that one human being could ever really know another. You could get used to each other, get so habituated that you could speak their words right along with them, but you never knew why other people said what they did, because they never even knew themselves. Nobody understands anybody."

Posted by: Sara at March 4, 2010 1:24 AM

"My blood's too rich for subway cars, and I'm too poor for a cab.
I'm too old for the girl I love but she doesn't know it yet.
When I die I will leave no shadows of regret.
I'm too tired to make amends that cannot go unsaid."

Luke Doucet.

Posted by: Andy at March 4, 2010 1:25 AM

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Posted by: transiit at March 4, 2010 1:33 AM

"My shoe is off, my foot is cold, I have a bird I like to hold."

--Dr. Seuss, One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

Posted by: HalleluHools at March 4, 2010 1:58 AM

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.
~ Leonard Cohen, anthem

Posted by: Rosie at March 4, 2010 2:01 AM

I don't have a favorite quote at the moment, but I've enjoyed reading these.

Thank you.

Posted by: Keith at March 4, 2010 2:04 AM

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” - Maryanne Williamsonit. From her book, "Return to Love"

Posted by: Harland at March 4, 2010 2:09 AM

I just don't want you to be confused.

-Reality Bites

Posted by: Linda at March 4, 2010 2:35 AM

Be convinced that to be happy means to be free and that to be free means to be brave. – Thucydides

Don't break your tenderness. -- Kerouac (and for you SXSWers, you can find this one painted on the back wall of Jo's coffee shop on Congress, across from the Continental Club)

Really love seeing the words that other people love. Thanks, all.

Posted by: Cheri at March 4, 2010 2:36 AM

We are here to help each other get through this thing, whatever it is.

If this isn't nice I don't know what is.

Kurt Vonnegut quoting his family

Posted by: Dave at March 4, 2010 2:36 AM

I say it every morning before my run:

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle--when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."

--Roger Bannister

Posted by: Casey Cook at March 4, 2010 2:56 AM

I decide: when in doubt, it's vitally important to keep moving. Velocity is important. Kinetic energy frees the mind and confuses the enemy.

Iain Banks, Complicity
(although I may have misremembered)

Posted by: xtian at March 4, 2010 3:13 AM

This isn't a quote so much as it is a passage from a book. I find it an extremely true and rather depressing sentiment. But the thing is, I read this book over ten years ago and the core of this paragraph is still with me.

"There was no need to ask him how he'd done. He looked gray...'Smack in the middle of the class,' he said. Bs of some kind, that meant. Aubrey had worked doggedly first term, unafraid of confessing his ambitions. He wanted the most selective firm, the highest salary, the Review. I felt he deserved better for his honesty...I walked Aubrey back to his locker. Willie Hewitt came by, bragging about two Bs. 'Not bad for a screw-off, huh?' he asked me as he passed. Aubrey seemed to wince. He stared into his empty locker. 'I'm so tired of being competent,' he said suddenly. 'I've been competent all my life. I wish I could be either the best or the worst. This is just so goddamn dull.' He shook his head and laughed a little."
-Scott Turow from One L

Posted by: Amber at March 4, 2010 3:15 AM

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
Walt Whitman, "Song of Myself"

Posted by: Eddie at March 4, 2010 3:29 AM

Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
- Aristotle

And my favorite feel-really-good at the moment :]

When you are in love you can't fall asleep, because reality is better than your dreams.
- Dr Seuss

Posted by: laura sina at March 4, 2010 3:29 AM

"The real secret of magic is that the world is made of words, and that if you know the words that the world is made of, you can make of it whatever you wish."

—Terrence McKenna

Posted by: Stormchild at March 4, 2010 3:55 AM

"Laughter is the only tenable attitude in a universe which is a joke played upon itself... It is not for us to question the universe's apparent lack of taste."
-Peter Carroll-

Posted by: Kirk at March 4, 2010 4:10 AM

"I was going to go from career to career and I wouldn't stop until I found one I loved. I was going to be the career version of a serial monogamist." - Melissa Bank, The Wonder Spot

Posted by: ingrid at March 4, 2010 4:23 AM

Jim Gaffigan:

on the unnatural size of cinna-buns:

I can't tell if it's a pastry or a bean bag chair.
Should I sit in it, or eat it?
... I could sit in it *and* eat it.

Wow this is sticky with no pants on.

Posted by: Laura at March 4, 2010 4:24 AM

Men have erected great empires only to find that they are mostly just water.

Posted by: Chris echols at March 4, 2010 5:22 AM

I overheard this one in a restaurant and it always makes me laugh:

"He may have saved my life, but he was the reason I was on fire in the first place."

Posted by: edward Rossel de Jongh at March 4, 2010 5:23 AM

“The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can’t, and the incapacity to tell the difference.” - The Days are Just Packed - Calvin and Hobbes

Posted by: Lisa at March 4, 2010 5:38 AM

Here's one, although I have collected pages and pages of them...

A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are for.
-Grace Murray Hopper

Well, maybe one more..

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood
and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the
endless immensity of the sea. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Posted by: stubbyno2 at March 4, 2010 5:42 AM

"I'm not used to feeling like I belong where I am."
-Robert Downey, Jr.

Posted by: Caitlin at March 4, 2010 5:51 AM

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool. ~Lester Bangs
I (try to) live by that...

Posted by: OneWinkataTime at March 4, 2010 6:04 AM

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day wisdom consists of not exceeding the limit. - Elbert Hubbard

Posted by: hwbj at March 4, 2010 6:05 AM

"Don't feel sorry for yourself. Only assholes do that."
--Haruki Murakami in 'Norwegian Wood'.

Posted by: zeptimius at March 4, 2010 6:15 AM

“To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else, is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting.”

e.e. cummings

Posted by: Kimmie G. at March 4, 2010 6:18 AM

How about:

"The harder I work, the luckier I get"

Author unknown

Posted by: gsekse at March 4, 2010 6:19 AM

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time
--TS Eliot

Posted by: Anonymous Girl at March 4, 2010 7:02 AM

from twitter user @robots_ie:

while(1) {
kick_ass();
take_names();
}

Posted by: Ken at March 4, 2010 8:01 AM

"It's so easy...when you know the rules."
-F. Mercury

Posted by: ccd at March 4, 2010 8:13 AM

"Listen, are you breathing just a little, and calling it a life?"
Mary Oliver

Posted by: Meagan at March 4, 2010 8:15 AM

Life is dangerous and always ends in death.

Posted by: Christy Collins at March 4, 2010 9:00 AM

You are pure potential.
-Martin de Maat

Posted by: Flying squirrel at March 4, 2010 9:21 AM

"I have seen you beauty, and you belong to me now, whoever you are waiting for and if I never see you again, I thought. You belong to me..."
:Hemingway

and also

"Everyday I write the book"
:Elvis Costello

We write our own stories, we can't let other people's stories write us.

Posted by: Stephen R. Smith at March 4, 2010 9:22 AM

Do not separate yourself from the community. Do not believe in yourself until the day of your death. Do not judge your fellow man until you have reached his place. Do not make a statement that can't be understood on the grounds that it will be understood one day. And, do not say "When I have free time, I will pursue it" because you might never have free time.

Posted by: David W. at March 4, 2010 9:30 AM

"May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you're wonderful, and don't to forget make some art -- write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can. And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself." - Neil Gaiman

Posted by: enchiladaplate at March 4, 2010 9:30 AM

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

-Calvin Coolidge

Posted by: Christian at March 4, 2010 9:39 AM

"Everything, before it changes, seems to be made of gold."

-- Jonatha Brooke, "Made of Gold"

Posted by: ken at March 4, 2010 9:58 AM

I've kept this in my all my journals for years. (Sort of a "signing in" to each new book.) And it's part of why I went to the College of the Atlantic for school.

"When your views on the world and your intellect are being challenged and you begin to feel uncomfortable because of a contradiction you've detected that is threatening your current model of the world or some aspect of it, pay attention. You are about to learn something.

This discomfort and intellectual conflict is when learning is taking place."

-Bill Drury

Posted by: Chel O'Reilly at March 4, 2010 10:05 AM

"Solidarity is not a matter of altruism. Solidarity comes from the inability to tolerate the affront to our own integrity of passive or active collaboration in the oppression of others, and from the deep recognition of our most expansive self-interest. From the recognition that, like it or not, our liberation is bound up with that of every other being on the planet, and that politically, spiritually, in our heart of hearts we know anything else is unaffordable." - Aurora Levins Morales

Posted by: Norah at March 4, 2010 10:11 AM

i went to sleep trying to think of a quote that had some sort of correlation to your quote about being loud (loudness) and I woke up with this:

"I want what she's having" :-)

Posted by: L at March 4, 2010 10:16 AM

Don't be a dick ~Wil Wheaton

Posted by: nontastic at March 4, 2010 10:25 AM

And he who forgets... will be destined to remember.

Posted by: Bill at March 4, 2010 10:30 AM

"Everything is around us, which means that somewhere is what we're looking for."
-James Cameron

been my favorite quote for a good few years now :)

Posted by: Emmy at March 4, 2010 10:35 AM

"If we don't do this nobody else will"
~Turin Brakes
Sea Change

Posted by: Silly at March 4, 2010 10:37 AM

I arise in the morninh torn between the desire to improve the world and the desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

Posted by: Marcus at March 4, 2010 10:52 AM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body. But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming .... WOW what a ride!

Posted by: uncleplayground (Tim) at March 4, 2010 10:59 AM

"I believe that if, at the end of it all, according to our abilities, we have done something to make others a little happier, and something to make ourselves a little happier, that is about the best we can do. To make others less happy is a crime. To make ourselves unhappy is where all crime starts. We must try to contribute joy to the world. That is true no matter what our problems, our health, our circumstances. We must try. I didn't always know this, and am happy I lived long enough to find it out."

- Roger Ebert, from the recent article about him in Esquire

Posted by: JP at March 4, 2010 11:21 AM

"Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity. "- Simone Weil

Posted by: Matthew Griffin at March 4, 2010 11:27 AM

One of my favorite quotes is a mis-quote.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" by Benjamin Franklin.

Ben's actual quote is "Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards; there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy."

Posted by: Mark at March 4, 2010 11:58 AM

"That's your problem."
-mentor Eric Billingsley replying to my work being ignored

It is nobody else's responsibility to make your work important and known. If your brilliance is being ignored, you're not communicating it correctly.

Posted by: Rolfsky at March 4, 2010 12:53 PM

I have enjoyed reading everyone's favorite quotes. Here are a few of my favorites...

"I am a humanist, which means in part, that I have tried to behave decently without any expectation of reward or punishments after I am dead." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Comparison is the thief of joy." - Martin Prihoda

"Take a chance you stupid ho." - Gwen Stefani

Posted by: Michelle Sibrian at March 4, 2010 1:01 PM

“A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.”
- Albert Einstein

Posted by: m at March 4, 2010 1:13 PM

"I don't explain my head."

-Shel Silverstein

Posted by: ergo at March 4, 2010 1:20 PM

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest.
Til the good gets better,
and the better gets best.

told to me by an elderly woman in the nursing home I worked at while in college

Posted by: Terry at March 4, 2010 1:28 PM

“I do not concern myself with being consistent in what I say, but with being consistent with the truth as it reveals itself to me.”

~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted by: snooge at March 4, 2010 1:44 PM

“A well adjusted person is one who makes the same mistake twice without getting nervous.”

~ Alexander Hamilton

Posted by: snooge at March 4, 2010 1:55 PM

"Your family (...) does not know what's best for you, or care. What they know everything about, and care about deeply, is what's safest, and on any important decision, their advice is meaningless and distracting, because they're just going to tell you to do the most cautious thing. " ~Ran Prieur~

Posted by: David Marlowe at March 4, 2010 4:21 PM

Two come to mind:

“Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." ~Kahlil Gibran

and...

"I have come here, to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum" ~Rowdy Roddy Piper in "They Live"

Posted by: Daughtershow at March 4, 2010 4:49 PM

Its perhaps a 'clever' one, but this quote always strikes me as saying so much about the nature of people and they way they choose to live their lives:

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase

Thanks for this post Ze, I'm gonna come back to this page for inspiration.

Posted by: MW at March 4, 2010 5:00 PM

I have three for ya

"A privileged class, an aristocracy, is but a band of slaveholders under another name" -MarkTwain

"The American People could have anything they want, trouble is, they don't want much of anything" -Eugene Debbs

"The only difference between the Republican and Democratic parties is the velocities with which their knees hit the floor when corporations knock on their door." Ralph Nader

Posted by: nader at March 4, 2010 5:40 PM

" What's the difference between hypocrisy and paradox?"
-David Foster Wallace (RIP)

Posted by: Josh at March 4, 2010 6:59 PM

“If you are irritated by every rub, how will you get polished?”
- Rumi

and

“The successful warrior is the average man, with laser-like focus”.
- Bruce Lee

Posted by: Robin at March 4, 2010 7:14 PM

"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You." Dr. Seuss

Posted by: Nadia Gilchrist at March 4, 2010 8:08 PM

'If the good Lord had intended for us to walk he wouldn't have invented roller skates.'
-Willy Wonka

Posted by: Adrenalin Tim at March 4, 2010 8:31 PM

"If you don’t learn to laugh at trouble, you won’t have anything to laugh at when you’re old." ⎯ Will Rogers

"Laughter is the language of the soul" ⎯ Pablo Naruda

Posted by: saint rixter hibeam at March 4, 2010 8:41 PM

oh and i forgot this one:
"If you take life too seriously, you'll never get through it alive." - Bugs Bunny

Posted by: saint rixter hibeam at March 4, 2010 8:48 PM

I think you'll like this one Ze - It feels like being on the edge of an epiphany. Dig!

"The car was swaying as Dean and I both swayed to the rhythm and the IT of our final excited joy in talking and living to the blank tranced end of all innumerable riotous angelic particulars that had been lurking in our souls all our lives"
- Sal Paradise (Jack Kerouac)

Posted by: Ruby at March 4, 2010 8:59 PM

"Success is not always about achievement. Sometimes it's about not giving up."
- Laurie Perry

"... it's not our job to be better than anyone else; we just need to be better than we were a year ago"
- Jeff Atwood

Posted by: Anna at March 4, 2010 10:08 PM

"Fear only makes the wolf look bigger" ~ German proverb

I tend to remind myself of this during midterm week :P

Posted by: Jake at March 5, 2010 12:19 AM

"Quality isn't Job One; being totally fucking amazing is Job One." - Hugh MacLeod

Posted by: Jan McLaughlin at March 5, 2010 7:14 AM

All I am is a hole in the air
Surrounded all around by teeth and hair
In which you throw your cookin' there
What should it be, if it shouldn't be fair?
- John Hartford

Posted by: Sam Barnum at March 5, 2010 10:22 AM

"Every morning I awake torn between a desire to save the world and an inclination to savor it. This makes it hard to plan the day." -E.B.White

and

"If music could only bring peace, I'd only be a musician." -Pete Seeger

Posted by: Bob at March 5, 2010 11:54 AM

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
--Albert Einstein

Posted by: ThomasTheCat at March 5, 2010 2:48 PM

It's my belief that sanity lies in realizing that reality is not exactly what we had in mind.

Roy Blount, Jr

Posted by: DJ at March 5, 2010 2:56 PM

I'm watching the documentary "super high me" and a guy on the street says, "big trees grow from little seeds."

Makes me think I can still do something.

Posted by: alan at March 5, 2010 3:28 PM

things always work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out

Posted by: evendesign at March 5, 2010 5:57 PM

"You know there are many people in the country today, who through no fault of their own, are sane. Some of them were born sane. Some of them became sane later in their lives. It is up to people, like you and me, who are out of their tiny little minds to try and help these people overcome their sanity."

- Monty Python - "Silly Vicar"

Posted by: Gutierrez at March 5, 2010 6:04 PM

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posted by: Tullinator at March 5, 2010 6:35 PM

I'm not sure who said it, but I think this is amazing:

"Nothing real can be threatened. Nothing unreal exists."

Posted by: Adam Chan at March 5, 2010 8:30 PM

"Heaven and earth move themselves."

My tattoo artist (and somehow my Zen teacher) told me this, it struck me and I won't forget. It's all about accepting this world, you and others like they are, right now in this moment.

Posted by: Florian at March 6, 2010 7:59 AM

"Argue for your limitations and, sure enough, they're yours." - Richard Bach, Illusions

Posted by: Court Anonymous at March 6, 2010 5:16 PM

Fame is the thirst of youth.
—George Gordon Byron

(via http://joshuablankenship.com/blog/2010/03/06/lord-byron-on-fame/ )

Posted by: Joe at March 6, 2010 11:44 PM

Thomas Edison said:

Most people don't recognize opportunity knocking because it's dressed in overalls, and looks like work"
I love that.

Posted by: Harry O at March 8, 2010 12:36 AM

A witty saying proves nothing. -Voltaire

Posted by: Chris Ream at March 8, 2010 2:46 AM

"At least i don't suck at life, I keep on trying despite" - Ze Frank.

Posted by: eli spear at March 8, 2010 3:53 AM

people speak because there are things they don't want to hear; they listen because there are things they don't want to say

I read it in a book by Hanif Kureishi

Posted by: Ysa at March 8, 2010 2:25 PM

"I would rather learn from one bird how to sing,
than teach 10,000 stars how not to dance."
-E.E. Cummings

I reflect on this passage often. I don't think I could do a good job of explaining what it means to me, but I would recommend reflecting on it for yourself.

Posted by: Tony at March 8, 2010 11:20 PM

Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?'
'That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,' said the Cat.
'I don't much care where --' said Alice.
'Then it doesn't matter which way you go,' said the Cat.
'--so long as I get somewhere,' Alice added as an explanation.

Lewis Carroll
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Posted by: marthainnh at March 10, 2010 12:12 AM

One of my faves:

At least half of all writing involves just sitting and staring into space. Letting your brain out to hunt down ideas, bringing them back all warm and bloody between its teeth.
- Warren Ellis

And another that I've been quoting for so long I forget where it came from (I may even have thought of it myself):

The day one recognises "hot" doesn't mitigate "crazy" or "arsehole" is a big day for personal growth.

Posted by: fishboy at March 11, 2010 8:23 AM

"non est ad estra mollis e terris via" - senneca
--there is no easy way from the earth to the stars--

and then,
"For God's sake quit whinning, the sun is shinning
outside!" my mom.

Posted by: Jan at March 12, 2010 9:28 AM

It's not really a quote, but a poem. I would like to be able to say this about someone some day.

"i carry your heart with me (i carry it in
my heart) i am never without it (anywhere
i go you go, my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing, my darling )

i fear
no fate (for you are fate, my sweet) i want
no world (for beautiful you are my world, my true)
and it’s you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you
here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the tree called life; which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that’s keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)."

e. e. cummings

Posted by: Mia at March 12, 2010 10:51 AM

I disagree with that quote. Life is not the opposite of death, not even close. Death is a part of life. And a lot can happen in stillness and quiet.

Posted by: laura at March 12, 2010 12:57 PM

Never be too late for yesterday, never be too early for tomorrow, now is the right time

Posted by: Wendy at March 14, 2010 1:17 PM

A script in Bali: those who breathe, should be happy

Gearge Michael: sometimes clothes do not make a man

freedom! You gotta give what you take
I think it means, if you stop giving, then it would be the last time you get something

Posted by: Wendy at March 14, 2010 1:45 PM

'The world breaks everyone, and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break, it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these, you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry'.
- Ernest Hemingway. -

Posted by: Lux at March 15, 2010 1:16 PM

"There are very few human beings who receive the truth, complete and staggering, by instant illumination. Most of them acquire it fragment by fragment, on a small scale, by successive developments, cellularly, like a laborious mosaic." --Anais Nin

Posted by: Em at March 18, 2010 8:58 AM

Admit something:
Everyone you see you say to them, “Love me.”
Of course you do not do this out loud, otherwise
someone would call the cops.
Still, though, think about this, this great pull in us to connect.
Why not become the one who lives with a
full moon in each eye that is
always saying,
With that sweet moon language,
What every other eye in
This world is
Dying to
Hear?

-Hafiz

Posted by: Emma at March 18, 2010 2:19 PM

Victory has 1,000 fathers. Failure is a bastard.

~JFK

Posted by: aimee at March 18, 2010 5:13 PM

'Take wrong turns. Talk to strangers. Open unmarked doors. And if you see a group of people in a field, go find out what they're doing. Do things without always knowing how they'll turn out"- xkcd.com/267/

"And always the faint weedy smell of the river, and the air so soft and warm against the face that one was hardly aware any longer of the frontiers between self and not-self, but lay there, separated by no dividing surfaces, melting, drowsily melting into the circumambient air."
Aldous Huxley- Eyeless in Gaza

"The present changes the past. Looking back you do not find what you left behind..."
Kiran Desai The Inheritance of Loss

Posted by: J at March 19, 2010 10:42 PM

seek and learn to recognize who and what, in the midst of the inferno, are not inferno, then make them endure, give them space.

calvino in invisible cities.
oh i love love love him. endure, all.

Posted by: caley at April 1, 2010 3:12 PM

Religion is kind of like underwear. Not everyone needs it to feel good and secure but if you do, you don't really need to show it to everyone.
my gramps

Posted by: abelle at April 6, 2010 5:18 PM

I like this one.
"Half of life is f*cking up, the other half is dealing with it." ~Henry Rollins.

Not very inspirational, but it is true.
If you look at it more positively: You make mistakes a lot (half of your life), half of it is learning & cleaning up after what you've done.

Posted by: Catie at April 16, 2010 8:23 PM

"I went into a movie house. I didn't know what was playing or anything; I just needed a moment to gather my thoughts and be logical and put the world back into rational perspective. And I went upstairs to the balcony, and I sat down, and the movie was a film that I'd seen many times in my life since I was a kid, and I always loved it. I'm watching these people up on the screen and I started getting hooked on the film. I started to feel, how can you even think of killing yourself, I mean isn't it so stupid. Look at all the people up there on the screen, they're real funny, and what if the worst is true. What if there is no God and you only go around once and that's it. Well, ya know, don't you wanna be part of the experience? You know, what the hell it's not all a drag. And I'm thinking to myself, Jeez, I should stop ruining my life searching for answers I'm never gonna get, and just enjoy it while it lasts. And after who knows, I mean maybe there is something, nobody really knows. I know maybe is a very slim reed to hang your whole life on, but that's the best we have. And then I started to sit back, and I actually began to enjoy myself."

- Woody Allen, "Hannah And Her Sisters"

Posted by: alice at April 17, 2010 10:39 PM

If trees had feelings we'd still make paper.

Posted by: Anonymous at April 21, 2010 10:40 PM

you belong to love as wheels belong to the roads,
as grapes belong to the blossoming of taste,
as corn belongs to crows,
as shadows belong to the ache of heat,
as happiness belongs to the capricious pangs of the soul.
~Wolff Bowden

and...

change is inevitable,
growth is optional.

Posted by: aimee at June 10, 2010 5:28 PM

"Love is Love No Matter What Body the Soul Wares." ~Samantha Campbell AKA VirginPoet

I found it on facebook she has other links to her poetry she has some really awesome poems I love them

Posted by: Jed at July 5, 2010 1:49 PM