« "Off the Charts" | Main | Guillaume Nery :: free diver »

June 28, 2010

Aldebaran Robotics Nao Robot (dancing)

creepy? beautiful? wondrous? :: click below to watch ::

O.o
Why is it that robots seem so good at doing horrific war dances?
And somehow the ballet stuff scares me the most. >.<

Posted by: Philip at June 28, 2010 12:24 PM

I'd have to say wondrous, judging it as a demonstration of the flexibility of those robots -- they have amazing knee and hip reticulation! I don't really know what robots like this are good for -- other than mesmerizing Japanese audiences -- but they probably indicate some amazing possibilities for both robotics and prosthetics...

Posted by: acm at June 28, 2010 12:47 PM

Very cool... but at $17K per robot, that show would be quite costly to put on! It better do quite a bit more than dance for that price. http://www.robotshop.com/aldebaran-robotics-nao-academic-robot-v3plus.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=jos

Posted by: Paul at June 28, 2010 2:42 PM

I can't imagine the amount of work that went into programing and choreographing these toys

my question is, are they becoming more like us or are we becoming more like them?

Posted by: nader at June 28, 2010 4:35 PM

Sure, Alderaan has some pretty cool droids, but I still think Tatooine's are better.

Posted by: Rubrick at June 28, 2010 5:02 PM

Reminds me of the Maori Haka

Posted by: Chase at June 28, 2010 7:57 PM

It wasn't $17K per robot. There are 20 robots there. He got the group discount. Probably didn't spend more than $15K each.

Posted by: David W. at June 29, 2010 6:17 PM

But did you see what they did to the ducky in this one!?

Posted by: gboston at June 30, 2010 4:22 AM

This is where they mesmerize us with their cuteness, little dot mouths, make us think they're innocuous. Meanwhile, they're plotting for the takeover. We'll get Mars all ready for colonization and just as we're getting on the the ships they'll shove us out of the way, close the ramps and leave us here with our dead oceans! Robots!

Posted by: ojeano at July 6, 2010 1:06 PM

This video makes me want to take a golf club and go to town but id probably keep one, but only one. Anymore than one and they start conspiring to kill stuff.

Posted by: Austin at August 3, 2010 3:43 AM