« Aldebaran Robotics Nao Robot (dancing) | Main | i'm hiring! »

June 28, 2010

Guillaume Nery :: free diver

Guillaume Nery base jumping at Dean's Blue Hole, filmed on breath hold by Julie Gautier :: amazing :: click below to watch ::

My god, that made me so nervous. I wonder how long the actual elapsed time was. How long can a human hold their breath? Did the cameraman do the jump too -- otherwise how would s/he have gotten those close-up shots inside? Yikes.

Posted by: Karen at June 28, 2010 12:42 PM

Freaking epic.

Posted by: Michael Nus at June 28, 2010 12:48 PM

Gives me chills. This is the sort of intense commitment to an exercise that fully engages every part of your being.

And, if I'm reading this right: the photographer was also free-diving? What a rush.

Thanks Ze.

Posted by: Mark Alan Effinger at June 28, 2010 12:52 PM

Posted by: Heather Katsoulis at June 28, 2010 12:57 PM

... but still beautiful! :)

Posted by: Heather Katsoulis at June 28, 2010 12:59 PM

I wonder if that was the actual bottom of the hole he landed on, or just a shelf. According to Wikipedia, if that was the bottom he just shattered a bunch of free diving records.

The "Blue Hole" I grew up swimming in was a spring, with water coming out at enormous pressure, if you were strong and wearing fins you could swim out over the center of it, maybe a few feet down. With weight you could get to the bottom. But I assume this hole is not such a spring, because he's not wearing nearly enough weight to sink that way into something trying to push him up.

Posted by: Gus Snarp at June 28, 2010 1:53 PM

Um .... why?

Posted by: Dash at June 28, 2010 4:52 PM

Beautiful, just beautiful. I wonder how it feels to do something like that.

Posted by: Jeremy at June 28, 2010 10:32 PM

This would have made a great Boards of Canada video...

Posted by: Josh at June 28, 2010 11:46 PM

Man, you always post the neatest stuff. Having gone on a recent Show-watching binge, I'm pretty sure this guy is in the League.

Posted by: JJR at June 29, 2010 3:11 AM

Found this on Julie Gautier's blog (http://juliegautier.over-blog.com/),

"Referring to different comments on the net and in order to set this back in context, I want to specify that this movie is a fiction. We did shot all the scenes into the hole but didn't go to the bottom. We mainly wanted to move away from the performance and to light on the artistic potentiel of this discipline.

"This production required us 4 afternoones of shooting. All shoots have been taken in breath hold and with one camera. The script and edition is the resul of our work and imagination."

Posted by: Darran Edmundson at July 4, 2010 6:32 PM

What was the music? That made the video amazing!

Posted by: Cz at September 24, 2010 6:53 AM