« Glass House Conversations | Main | "Routining" »

August 23, 2010

The Oregon Trail

although this reference is lost on me (i think we had one computer in my school,) i am told it will bring back memories. and i was also told to mention a "grueling place" :: whatever that means :: click below to watch ::

This is pretty awesome.

(And it's grueling *pace*, not place... you set how hard and fast your little brood travels on the trail, with sometimes dire consequences.)

Posted by: Chris Cardinal at August 23, 2010 8:51 PM

That's a "grueling pace", i.e. a speed requiring great effort.

Posted by: Ben Brockert at August 23, 2010 9:25 PM

Thank whoever told you for me! In the second grade, we could earn Oregon Trail time on the classroom's LCII by finishing our work early. We lost many a beloved Poopy Face, and many a Miss Hall, to snakebite and dysentary.

Posted by: Kendall at August 23, 2010 11:28 PM

We had the Oregon Trail project in 4th or 5th grade (1984-85). I must have played the public school version - we filled out worksheets as the teacher gave us destination mileages and food usage figures. I always thought it was a board game, alas, I was cheated! What did I learn? At the tender age of 10, that sexism still existed. I recall being angry that we were assigned male/female teams... I had to be the wife? (Sorry Derek. You were a perfectly fine pioneer husband.)

Posted by: Anne at August 24, 2010 3:11 AM

hey Danny, remember the computer game "Oregon Trail?

Posted by: Danny at August 24, 2010 3:38 AM

haha I think you mean "grueling pace"

Posted by: Emily at August 24, 2010 7:33 AM

This was after my time in school, but my niece had a copy at home. She was a grumpy late-teen by then and was cursing about how she couldn't get going or something; the program was telling her she had too much stuff. "I don't know what the problem is," she grunted. "I put 20 horses on the team to carry it all."

Posted by: Maryann at August 24, 2010 8:39 PM

This is hilarious, I played that game for years before I made it to Oregon.

Posted by: Rachel at August 25, 2010 7:54 PM

I.... wow.

I loved playing this on the Apple IIe in the library while in elementary school, but this looks just awful. I'll hang onto my fond memories of crappy graphics, thank you.

Posted by: thorn at August 26, 2010 5:41 PM

I used to play a version where there was a bug and you could actually enter a negative monetary value for buying goods before you hit the trail - it would actually pay you money! You just had to hope you didn't get attacked before you made it to the first post where you could buy bullets and anything else you wanted.

Now that I think about it, it made the game pretty easy and boring.

Posted by: Dan at August 30, 2010 11:24 PM

Guilderland had a whole computer lab, but the only game I remember them having was 'Where in the World is Carmen Santiago'.

Posted by: nacoran at September 13, 2010 12:25 PM