« Real Life Tron | Main | Childhood Walk Podcast :: from" Quirky Nomads" »

October 4, 2010

what to do in an emergency landing? :: CNN says sing the chillout song

click below to watch the report :: and click here to hear the CHILLOUT SONG!!

While I am a big fan of the Chillout Song and agree wholeheartedly with the advice to breathe, it's actually very important for the flight attendant's directions to be loud and jarring in an emergency because the biggest risk is not that the passengers will panic, but rather that they'll zone out and freeze up because their brain is in denial of the emergency.

For a fantastic read on this subject, check out TIME Magazine writer Amanda Ripley's book "The Unthinkable: Who Survives When Disaster Strikes and Why."

Posted by: Robin at October 4, 2010 3:55 PM

And now the pilot sings: hey...u.re ok...

The highest mark for this song! Listening to it, it.s like a cell that ramifies through your body and makes you look up, powered with hope and faith for tomorrow!
Thank you, Ze Frank!

Posted by: Georgiana at October 4, 2010 4:06 PM

If I were going to die in a fiery plane crash, I would load it up on my phone immediately. Thanks for a great work of art, Ze.

Posted by: Owen at October 4, 2010 4:10 PM

Surviving a plane crash is all luck.

My seat is not a flotation device, if the plane blows up over the ocean, I'm fish food.

I think airlines should play Ze's chillout song or his scared song right over the PA, so passengers could all sing along. If it's my turn to check out, I'd rather go with a happy song in my head instead of that "bagel" yelling heads down the whole time.

Posted by: John at October 4, 2010 8:13 PM

I'm suffering from some pretty severe perinatal anxiety right now, and I've been singing the Chillout Song to myself when things get really bad. It's awesome to see that the song is getting the recognition it deserves!

Love you, love your work, Ze! Don't ever stop!!

Posted by: Amy at October 4, 2010 8:51 PM

This is exactly the kind of thing I've heard you (zefrank) talk about before. You create something and people do things with it that you couldn't imagine - and that's great. I think maybe the chillout song is not the best emergency song, but it sure would be great for subways, long lines, crowded places.

I hope someone does a little experiment of playing the song at a soothing level in a hectic place and we can see the difference.

Posted by: Darin at October 4, 2010 10:46 PM

Dear Ze,
Just this morning, already sorting out some fun stuff for the annual seasongreetingsC(ar)D, I heard your "Santa aint't Fat" and I wondered if you still make music/songs now these days. Pretty awesome to hear you sing that Goldon Oldie in a CNN report tonight! Especially because I sent "a new viewer" a link to one of The Shows just two days ago. So I had that image of you in a plane to France fresh in mind... it made a weird connection with that piece of CNN video... and yep, unintentionally you did it again, you made me smile! Ze's oldstuff/newstuff? Ze's good stuff!
Greetings, Beppie

Posted by: Bep van Boven at October 4, 2010 10:56 PM

Way to go, performance artist Ze Frank!

Posted by: jeano at October 5, 2010 1:04 PM

By the way (!) Have you heard from Laura lately? How's she doing?

Posted by: jeano at October 5, 2010 1:16 PM

cool you're a performance artist?

Posted by: Sara at October 5, 2010 1:41 PM

cool

Posted by: duus at October 5, 2010 8:12 PM

"... hey... you're okay... you'll be fine... just breath... KABOOM!

Posted by: nader at October 6, 2010 4:01 PM

Great to see you get namechecked!

But this video just reminded me why I stopped watching the news (and TV). I don't think we've got a feature reader in the UK with quite such an odd, strangulated voice, but our news clearly follows the same sort of paradigm.

Other than the fake presenting style, what reeeeally annoys me is stock footage, or in this case the footage they shot to make up for it -- footage of computer screens, hands in dark rooms typing on keyboards and slowly moving the mouse to a button, highlighting text that's ALREADY BEING READ OUT, presenting a quote from the interweb as text on a torn piece of paper (is this a browser plugin I'm unaware of?) and so on.

In fact whenever I have happened to catch broadcast news at other people's houses, I've noticed this whole "take comments from the internet and present them as news" thing really gain momentum in the last three or four years. It happens in online and print articles too and it really makes me lament the world.

Sorry, rant over. Congrats again Ze!

Posted by: Simon at October 6, 2010 6:07 PM

Sometimes my whole life feels like an emergency landing.

Posted by: John P. at October 6, 2010 10:24 PM

Ze, I remember this from when you first created and posted it. But thanks for the reminder that it's there, because today it was exactly what I needed. Thank you.

Posted by: Nick at October 7, 2010 7:32 PM

When she was young and we flew on a plane, my daughter was delighted if it got bumpy....she randomly made up and sang with gusto a song called "Turbulence!"

Posted by: Tira at October 15, 2010 10:30 PM

Thanks for good stuff

Posted by: livelybrowsers at October 19, 2010 1:58 PM

officially labeled.

Ze, you are now, and forever shall be, "a performance artist"....

Congrats!

Posted by: matt at October 29, 2010 1:21 PM

I have been trying to find a link to the "Hey your ok, you'll be fine" song can anyone help.

Posted by: Jason Cummings at November 15, 2010 11:15 PM